The Student Room Group

Borderline Personality Disorder?

Note: I'm not in ANY way self diagnosing myself.

I've suspected for a few months now that I could POSSIBLY have BPD (or maybe bipolar?) and I know they don't really mean much, but I've taken some of those 'psych central' quizzes and I've gotten severe every time.

I just want to know how would I come about telling my doctor this? I never have luck with GP's (I also have depression, anxiety and an ED and I've barely got good help from my doctor) and what would happen/come out of it?
Original post by Anonymous

I've suspected for a few months now that I could POSSIBLY have BPD (or maybe bipolar?) and I know they don't really mean much, but I've taken some of those 'psych central' quizzes and I've gotten severe every time.

I just want to know how would I come about telling my doctor this? I never have luck with GP's (I also have depression, anxiety and an ED and I've barely got good help from my doctor) and what would happen/come out of it?

Doctors can keep it confidential, so maybe that's a start if you're worried about it coming out to people you know?

What about changing your gp, or seeing a therapist if you can afford it?
What would it achieve to be diagnosed?
Original post by JamesManc

Knowing where they stand.
Reply 4
Original post by JamesManc

Because then I could get the proper help/support that I would need?
Reply 5
Original post by caseynh
Doctors can keep it confidential, so maybe that's a start if you're worried about it coming out to people you know?

What about changing your gp, or seeing a therapist if you can afford it?

I'm over 16 so that's okay, but yeah my doctors practice only has 4-5 GP's and 2 of them are useless it's just irritating being chucked about all of the time from different ones

Have you looked through the diagnostic criteria as well as taking online quizzes?

I was diagnosed with BPD about 6 months ago (I also have depression, GAD and EDNOS so snap :tongue: ) and I don't know if the diagnosis has been beneficial. DBT isn't available on the NHS in my area and I've struggled to re-evaluate the way I perceive my interpersonal relationships. For years I thought that people were treating me badly, that I was a victim and I don't want to accept that I caused the problems. The fact that recovery takes a long time (if it comes) has made me feel worse too. I don't want to be feeling like this in my 30s. I'd hoped beforehand that I'd find the right medication and I'd be able to cope - but that's not going to happen.

I'm not saying 'don't get diagnosed', but it might not be the relief you're looking for.
Reply 7
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Have you looked through the diagnostic criteria as well as taking online quizzes?

I was diagnosed with BPD about 6 months ago (I also have depression, GAD and EDNOS so snap :tongue: ) and I don't know if the diagnosis has been beneficial. DBT isn't available on the NHS in my area and I've struggled to re-evaluate the way I perceive my interpersonal relationships. For years I thought that people were treating me badly, that I was a victim and I don't want to accept that I caused the problems. The fact that recovery takes a long time (if it comes) has made me feel worse too. I don't want to be feeling like this in my 30s. I'd hoped beforehand that I'd find the right medication and I'd be able to cope - but that's not going to happen.

I'm not saying 'don't get diagnosed', but it might not be the relief you're looking for.

Yeah I looked through the official DSM online D:

That's horrible that you can't get DBT, is there absolutely no other option therapy wise for you? For me I am really attached to my best friend, so much so that I get upset when she cancels plans on me and I take it personally, I over-react to silly things, I get OVERLY jealous if she's with someone other than me, the list goes on.

I get what you're saying though, it would just make me feel a bit relieved to know if I definitely have BPD or if it's something else entirely.
Reply 8
I'd be inclined to agree with the previous poster - it's a kinda "be careful what you wish for" thing. I don't want to put you off or scare you but I think you should be aware that having a BPD diagnosis can sometimes be pretty rubbish. For example, mental health services sometimes have negative views on people with it or they think there is no way to get better. They don't always take you seriously etc.... Also, what I didn't expect what the emotional effect of being told you have it. I felt absolutely CRUSHED.

Anyway, in terms of your actual question it sounds like your GP isn't very good with mental health problems, can you switch to a new doctor? My GP suspected it and told me about it so I never had to bring it up but I had seen her regularly for a year or so... so she knew me. I guess you could print off some information (The "Mind" website has really good information on BPD) and show your GP which things you think are affecting you. Your GP can't diagnose you with BPD though so you will probably have to get referred on - it can be hit and miss what services are available in your area.

Basically: If you are *really* sure you want a diagnosis like this then swap to a better doctors and take some information with you so you can show them what your concerns are.
Reply 9
Original post by Jenx301
I'd be inclined to agree with the previous poster - it's a kinda "be careful what you wish for" thing. I don't want to put you off or scare you but I think you should be aware that having a BPD diagnosis can sometimes be pretty rubbish. For example, mental health services sometimes have negative views on people with it or they think there is no way to get better. They don't always take you seriously etc.... Also, what I didn't expect what the emotional effect of being told you have it. I felt absolutely CRUSHED.

Anyway, in terms of your actual question it sounds like your GP isn't very good with mental health problems, can you switch to a new doctor? My GP suspected it and told me about it so I never had to bring it up but I had seen her regularly for a year or so... so she knew me. I guess you could print off some information (The "Mind" website has really good information on BPD) and show your GP which things you think are affecting you. Your GP can't diagnose you with BPD though so you will probably have to get referred on - it can be hit and miss what services are available in your area.

Basically: If you are *really* sure you want a diagnosis like this then swap to a better doctors and take some information with you so you can show them what your concerns are.

No I totally understand where you and the previous poster are coming from, it is definitely a hit/miss with doctors too and what they know. When I went to one GP about my eating disorder, he sent me away as I wasn't 'underweight' (despite having bulimia and not anorexia though? Ridiculous!)

But yeah I think I might print something off to make it easier for both me and my GP, I obviously wouldn't 'want' to have another mental health issue but I would rather *know* if I definitely did or not. Thank you for replying!
No I totally understand where you and the previous poster are coming from, it is definitely a hit/miss with doctors too and what they know. When I went to one GP about my eating disorder, he sent me away as I wasn't 'underweight' (despite having bulimia and not anorexia though? Ridiculous!)

But yeah I think I might print something off to make it easier for both me and my GP, I obviously wouldn't 'want' to have another mental health issue but I would rather *know* if I definitely did or not. Thank you for replying!

Hope everything works out for you x
As has been mentioned, a lot of health professionals have a negative view of people with borderline personality disorder. Not only that but in a lot of areas in the UK, there is no DBT available so often people are just left to rot.

This book is pretty good at dispelling myths about BPD and definitely worth a read:
http://www.amazon.com/Borderline-Personality-Disorder-Survival-Guide/dp/1572245077

Quick Reply

Latest