The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Proofreading - PLEASE

Hello - I was hoping some kind person on this site could proofread my personal statement - its a little late in the day, but I would really value some input here
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sk19972
Hello - I was hoping some kind person on this site could proofread my personal statement - its a little late in the day, but I would really value some input here.

Get someone at school to read it - never send it to a stranger by e-mail.
Do not ever post your personal statement online or give it to a stranger to read! As said above give it to someone trustworthy (teacher) to read over it.
Reply 3
Don't upload ur ps online!!!
Reply 4
Ok... I might say, I'm working in Italy on my gap year, so I can't just submit it at school, but I have taken it down.
Reply 5
Can someone in charge delete this thread?
Original post by sk19972
Can someone in charge delete this thread?

The PS content has been removed, so the thread doesn't need deleting. What you should do is do a google search on the first sentence to see if it was cached by google. If it has, then I'm afraid you'll have to change your PS completely as it will be flagged by the UCAS plagiarism detection software
Reply 7
Ok, well, it doesn't appear to be there, so am I safe?
I was initially going to say I don't mind proofreading it, as I have good English and can give you some pointers just as a third party source, but I suppose it's too risky after reading the posts above, and even though I'm a trustworthy person if I say so myself, I shouldn't really encourage this behaviour.
Reply 9
Original post by XcitingStuart
I was initially going to say I don't mind proofreading it, as I have good English and can give you some pointers just as a third party source, but I suppose it's too risky after reading the posts above, and even though I'm a trustworthy person if I say so myself, I shouldn't really encourage this behaviour.

Aha, yes, that seems to be the consensus....
Original post by z33
Don't upload ur ps online!!!

Well, he's not first and the last person
Reply 11
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Well, he's not first and the last person

yeah but it's a shame to lose all that hard work by doing something stupid and uploading it to the interwebz
Original post by z33
yeah but it's a shame to lose all that hard work by doing something stupid and uploading it to the interwebz

Uploading it on a website wouldn't be a stupid thing when you would know that you will delete it afterwards
Original post by sk19972
Ok... I might say, I'm working in Italy on my gap year, so I can't just submit it at school, but I have taken it down.

Is there a teacher you could send it to via secure e-mail?
Reply 14
Uploading it on a website wouldn't be a stupid thing when you would know that you will delete it afterwards

but isn't it cached and then it would be found on google just by typing the first sentence word-by-word

it's not the problem of other people copying it/ finding it

it's about UCAS flagging it for plagiarism because there's a copy somewhere on the internet of it
Original post by z33
but isn't it cached and then it would be found on google just by typing the first sentence word-by-word

it's not the problem of other people copying it/ finding it

it's about UCAS flagging it for plagiarism because there's a copy somewhere on the internet of it

That's true! That's why there was another student posted their PS on here earlier this week I think. TSR doesn't seem to be taking a responsibility of reminding the students by sending them messages or making an announcement at the top of the website. Well, there was the Justin Bieber there for a while
Reply 16
I have sent it to a teacher from my previous school for checking. Thanks for the help.
Reply 17
That's true! That's why there was another student posted their PS on here earlier this week I think. TSR doesn't seem to be taking a responsibility of reminding the students by sending them messages or making an announcement at the top of the website. Well, there was the Justin Bieber there for a while

well idk the place where you see sample Personal Statements says not to upload your PS while in the application process

but people don't upload it there so...
they should send out a broadcast message
Original post by sk19972
Ok, well, it doesn't appear to be there, so am I safe?

Wait 24-48 hours (Google cached pages don't appear immediately) then search again.

If there are no matches then you're fine to submit to UCAS.
Reply 19
Dayum I was gonna offer to read it cause I am well practised in applications and personal statements, but everyone on here is right, you should never trust a stranger online. I've learned a lesson!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending