The Student Room Group

14th Oct: Can you cook? What’s your favourite thing to eat?

This week on Radio 1’s Surgery, we’re talking about food! Can you cook? Do you have the time? Or do you think it’s too expensive?

Gemma and Dr Radha are here to help you out with any food or nutrition questions you might have, whether that’s starting out learning to cook, knowing what’s good for you, or if you ever experience any issues with food and want some advice! Get involved and comment below!

Note: you can post anonymously in this forum

Scroll to see replies

I do a mean bowl of cereal. I tend to avoid super sugary ones. I tend to mix bran flakes and something else, and don't add sugar as some people do.
I learned to cook when I was about 13, have cooked for myself since then.

I like cooking Curry and Mexican stuff in particular.
Yeah, I can cook a lot of fairly basic things, including various pasta dishes, soups and curries. I'm not too adventurous when it comes to cooking :redface:

My favourite thing to make is pasta with a tomato, tuna and onion sauce :h:
I cook pasta all the time. Cheap as hell and can do tons of stuff with it.

I have absolutely no cooking talent either and it's one of the few edible foods I can make
Original post by BBC Radio 1
This week on Radio 1’s Surgery, we’re talking about food! Can you cook? Do you have the time? Or do you think it’s too expensive?

Gemma and Dr Radha are here to help you out with any food or nutrition questions you might have, whether that’s starting out learning to cook, knowing what’s good for you, or if you ever experience any issues with food and want some advice! Get involved and comment below!

Note: you can post anonymously in this forum

Yes I can cook and I love it! I think it's really important to cook from fresh and eat as healthily as possible - it means you are less susceptible to being unwell, you have more energy, and your brain functions more effectively, which is particularly important for students.

From my experience of having just finished being a student (I'm now a qualified nurse), many of my peers thought it was too expensive, takes too long or too much effort to cook.

But if students/young adults are educated properly, it can be cheap, healthy, quick and fun!

My main tip is this: YOUR FREEZER IS YOUR FRIEND! For example, cook in bulk & freeze portions of your favourite meals, buy frozen berries for smoothies, freeze a loaf of bread and defrost slices as you need them, and so on and so on. You can freeze PRETTY MUCH ANYTHING :smile:

Joel :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I love to cook, I'm actually hoping to do catering at college next year. I like to make and eat sushi (I could probably eat it for breakfast if it was acceptable), I have done catering cor events a few times before and my most popular product would be my raspberry and white chocolate shortbreads!
Asians can cook. I'm sure everyone knows that. :pierre:

Kabuli Palou is the best :yep:
Reply 8
Nasi Goreng
I make a great chicken or prawn biriyani. Can make kotthu roti too! :awesome:

Unfortunately that's as far as my culinary skills go :tongue:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I make a great chicken or prawn biriyani. Can make kotthu roti too! :awesome:

Can I have the recipes please?
Original post by Wilfred Little
Can I have the recipes please?

I don't know where my receipe book is but if I ever find it, I'll PM you :biggrin:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I don't know where my receipe book is but if I ever find it, I'll PM you :biggrin:

Thank you Goatherd :smile:
I can cook...sort of.

I love roast boar, bison, ox, grox and aurochs.
With a recipe, I give myself credits to cook everything. Many dishes are not too expensive in getting the ingredients, but the problem is that cooking is time-consuming and at the moment I have barely time to do that.

I have not a special favorite dish. Like everything what tastes good.
Reply 15
I absolutely despise cooking - I live with my partner and he does 99.9% of the cooking. If he's at work I can make a couple of things but apart from that. NO. Cooking makes me flustered and stressed out, I can't handle different timings, I struggle with basic recipes and its just easier for me to avoid the kitchen as much as possible!

Edit: Forgot to add. This is how bad a cook I am; my boss and my friend bought me the 'Dummies Guide to Cooking' for my last birthday. I have read bits of it, but its main usage is dust collector!
(edited 8 years ago)
Curry mixed with Curry and Curry
Steak
(edited 8 years ago)
Cooking made easy read the packs ask butcher or fishmonger and don't over elaborate simple food is best
my peanut butter cookies are da bomb

Quick Reply

Latest