The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No
Reply 2
no.. but then again, would you really want to be a passenger in a car with someone who is driving without a license? I wouldnt.
Reply 3
nope tbh a person without a license isn't necessarily a worse driver than a person with, they just didn't take the test.
Quite a useful indicator, however.
Claim ignorance
Reply 6
No he's ok at driving, he doesnt try and race or anything (quite responsible). He just needs to get his licence.
Yeah, I like that at flying :smile:
Reply 8
No i'm ok at performing surgery, i don't try and butcher you up (quite careful). I just need to get qualified.

Cars are powerful tools and can cause a lot of damage, which is why you need to be qualified to use them and why the training is there. No licence probably means also no insurance, which means if they crash and you are injured you will not be covered. if they are a responsible driver they should be able to take the test and pass, get them to do it.
Depends...
If you asked them to drive you somewhere, or even accepting a lift offered then you've got the offence of 'CAUSING another to drive a vehicle with no insurance'
If the car is stolen or taken without the owners consent, then there's a few offences related to Joyriding, abetting vehicle theft etc.
Reply 10
I don't care how good the guy is, he is a moron.
He can't be insured if he is unlicenced, so pity the poor guy that gets hit by him.
There are some laws I can see valid cases for arguing against. This isn't one of them.
Reply 11
If he is such a good driver then passing the test won't be a problem for him anyway.
Reply 12
If you have had your licence three years AND he has a provisional AND he is insured and taxed nothing illegal is going on.
Reply 13
AND the car has L plates :smile:
:p:
Reply 14
Smart arse. :wink:
And over 21 :wink:
Reply 16
pghstochaj
Quite a useful indicator, however.

Not really. How many people drive at "test standard" after they pass? A lot of it isn't safe driving, it's just stupidly defensive... for the test, that is.
Well firstly it means the person may be insured vs. have no insurance, already a reason to go for a licenced driver. Secondly, it means that the person has at least once driven to test standard, thus are capable, against somebody that may have never reached that level. Then you have other issues such as whether somebody that will happily drive uninsured and unlicenced is likely to be a safe (thereby good) driver.

It's a good indicator, it's the best indicator one has.
you can be an excellent driver, and have no license. yes, it would be very stupid to drive illegally but it does not mean the person is worse than someone who has passed their test.

the person could be approaching their test, or may be at test standard but not have booked it etc etc. obviously there's a whole arguement against this aswell which i accept, but don't forget there's two sides to every coin. (i think lol).
Nobody will doubt that, but remember an unlicenced driver in such a way is not insured and having a full licence is still a good indicator.

Latest