The Student Room Group

Late choices-just done UKCAT

Need some advice as just did UKCAT got 608! So this has restricted my choices.
GCSE 5A* 4A 1B
AS ABBC C in Classics
Pred AAA
EPQ (very medical subject) predicted A
Very good PS and hopefully reference
UKCAT 608

Look
I realise my choices are very restricted and risky but I have done some research
and figure my best chances are

Bristol I realise very popular
Plymouth but each UKCAT section has a minimum so might be wasted
Possibly Cardiff if PS counts a bit more than GCSE
Nottingham but do they want a B or more for 4th AS?
Keele but do they want a B or more for 4th AS
Liverpool using UKCAT for first time so I will prob be too low
Leicester but I think my combined UKCAT/GCSE/AS will not score enough points
Newcastle UKCAT too low?

I think my UKCAT is too low for Manchester

I am overlooking anything?

Is there somewhere less risky?
All thoughts welcome :wink:
Thank you very much.
Do any unis give offers to ABBC at AS? Lowest Ive seen is Sheffield with AABB
It doesn't. I've heard rumours that the personal statement will count for more this year because, unlike previous years where the general practice (excuse the pun :wink:) has been to calculate an academic cut-off and then grade the personal statements of those who just missed it, this year they're grading everybody's personal statements.

This is presumably a response to the cut-offs creeping closer and closer to the maximum number of points (it's been 26/27 for the last two years) - they're basically trying to give people with fewer A*s a chance.

What is the breakdown of your GCSEs? They do a best-nine calculation but this has to include your grades in English, maths and science regardless of whether they're your best. Personally I think a score of 22/27 (which is what you would get if that B isn't in any of the subjects mentioned) is a little too low to be applying with. I suggest you apply this year but I don't think your chances are very good to be honest, even though your grades are, by non-medical standards, quite decent.

Do be prepared to take a gap year if necessary - don't just firm your non-medical choice in the hope of graduate entry if you don't get offers. It's better to have at least two goes at the process than going straight for graduate entry which is, frankly, the worst way to enter medicine. It should only be used as a lost resort if you fall hopelessly short of the required grades for the conventional route and have no hope of getting them up through resits.

Original post by chisser
Possibly Cardiff if PS counts a bit more than GCSE
Original post by Docjones1
Do any unis give offers to ABBC at AS? Lowest Ive seen is Sheffield with AABB

*ABBB. There will be unis who don't really look at AS. Did you drop the C at AS?
Original post by AnnekaChan173
*ABBB. There will be unis who don't really look at AS. Did you drop the C at AS?

Huh. I guess youre right. I could have sworn they said AABB on the open day i went to but it says different on there website
Reply 5
Original post by AnnekaChan173

Any ideas which med schools accept the 4th AS at a C
Reply 6
hi which medical school are we talking?
Huh. I guess youre right. I could have sworn they said AABB on the open day i went to but it says different on there website
Reply 7
yes I dropped the C
Original post by Chapper
hi which medical school are we talking?

I was talking about sheffield because at the open day for medicine the guy said aabb, but it's abbb apparently
I was talking about sheffield because at the open day for medicine the guy said aabb, but it's abbb apparently

The thing about Sheffield though is that their cut off is 2510 for the UKCAT...

http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/entryrequire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending