The Student Room Group

AS Maths Curve Sketching Urgent Help Please !??!?

Please can someone just guide me through what I'm supposed to do here? I'm really not understanding curve sketching so was doing some practice questions and any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Question;
Find the set of values for which
-1 >/= x - 6x^2
Original post by Aty100
Please can someone just guide me through what I'm supposed to do here? I'm really not understanding curve sketching so was doing some practice questions and any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Question;
Find the set of values for which
-1 >/= x - 6x^2

Is that supposed to read: x6x21x-6x^2 \leq -1?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's essentially asking you "when y = x - 6x^2, for what values of x is y less than -1?"

To see this, we can simply draw a graph of f(x) and look at when the values are less than -1.

Graphs.png

From here, its pretty obvious that the solutions are something along the lines of -0.something and +0.5ish. We can get the exact values by factorizing.

We have: (3x + 1) (-2x + 1) => x > 1/2 or x < -1/3

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Princepieman
Is that supposed to read: x6x21x-6x^2 \leq -1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes sorry
Reply 4
Original post by PeterTheHe
It's essentially asking you "when y = x - 6x^2, for what values of x is y less than -1?"

To see this, we can simply draw a graph of f(x) and look at when the values are less than -1.

Graphs.png

From here, its pretty obvious that the solutions are something along the lines of -0.something and +0.5ish. We can get the exact values by factorizing.

We have: (3x + 1) (-2x + 1) => x > 1/2 or x < -1/3

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest