The Student Room Group
Reply 1
1. You'd have to check with individual uni's but I reckon most, if not all, would accept neuroscience

2. If you do standard entry medicine as a second degree, you won't get a loan to cover tuition fees. If you do GEP (graduate entry) 4 year medicine, you only have to pay tuition fees in the first year anyway.
Reply 2
My advice would if you get the grades for Medicine, then reapply next year (take a gap year and do some cool stuff to boost your application).

If you don't get the grades you could resit and reapply.
Reply 3
Sorry to hear about your application, mc4263.

I totally agree with British Bulldog - reapply rather than apply as a graduate - it'll most likely work out a lot cheaper, take a shorter time, be less competitive (if you apply to GEP courses especially), etc.

See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=356357&highlight=biomedical+sciences
Reply 4
1) yes
2) no

As a graduate you are only entitled to the maintenance loan. If you are lucky enough to get on the GEP, you have to pay your own fees the first year, then the nhs pay them after that. If you get on a standard course, you would have to find 4 years worth of fees before the nhs pick up the bill in year 5. You would only be able to get supplementary grants (Parent's Learning Allowance or Adult Dependants Grant) if you are entitled to them, but most people aren't.
Reply 5
A girl in my first PBL group did her first degree in neuroscience so yes.

As people have said you wont get a tuition fee loan but you do get a maintenance loan. However, that is how it stands at the moment and you have no way of knowing what it will be like by the time it will actually be an issue for you. It will probably be worse.

If you get the grades just re-apply. You will save yourself a lot of time and A LOT of money!

Latest