The Student Room Group

Is it ok to swap from two language GCSEs to just one

I'm currently doing my Spanish GCSE and will be doing German next year. I could drop German which would mean that I have an extra year to work on my Spanish. I think that if I did both I would probably do relatively well however I don't know if it's worth the extra GCSE because I'm not particularly enjoying the lessons at the moment (due to the rushed atmosphere and the amount of stress and ho much homework they give you. Not because I dislike the subject. ) and I really don't see myself doing it at A-level, however I do wish to go to university and at my school they always emphasize how important languages are for getting into university. I do think that if I changed to a single language I would enjoy it more but I don't know if it is worth not getting an extra GCSE.

Sorry for the long question but i'm really not sure what to do. Thanks in advance.
Languages aren't super important for university. One is enough.
Reply 2
Original post by Tabstercat
Languages aren't super important for university. One is enough.

Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that if I did one language I would get 9 GCSEs (assuming I pass all of them), which I know is not terrible but it still seems to be slightly below the average.

These are the GCSEs I am taking.

Compulsory: English Literature + Language, Maths, Business & Enterprise.

Options: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Classical Civilization and either Spanish or German + Spanish.
Original post by Jdrury400
Thanks for the reply. I should also mention that if I did one language I would get 9 GCSEs (assuming I pass all of them), which I know is not terrible but it still seems to be slightly below the average.

These are the GCSEs I am taking.

Compulsory: English Literature + Language, Maths, Business & Enterprise.

Options: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Classical Civilization and either Spanish or German + Spanish.

It's fine, the grades you get are more important than the number.

Quick Reply

Latest