The Student Room Group

What can I do about my memory problems?

I noticed recently that my memory is getting a lot worse.

- I regularly have conversations where I forget what was said either mid-way through or after, which is annoying for both parties.
- I also often think of things I need to do and then forget before managing to do it.
- If I'm working out a math/other problem in my head I can get to the second stage of the process but then forget what the original question was.

This all happens extremely often. I spoke to my psychiatrist and he said that it's common in people with my diagnosis/on the meds I'm on but didn't offer any kind of solution other than to just put up with it.

Is there anything I can do to improve my memory?
Reply 1
Certain Anti-depressants/psycotics tend to screw up with your memory, try out some new medications until you find one that suits you. There's this computer program that flashes what you want to remember from time to time apparently its really effective(forgot the name) try look for it online but its simple and you can do it while your on the laptop or computer. My little brother uses this technique where he writes what he needs to remember on notes(for exams and so)and posts them around his room and apparently when it comes down to the exams he does pretty well..something to do with the subconcious mind picking up the little things. But yeah good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Oh my, I have terrible memory too and I don't know what causes it as I'm not on any medication. However knowing how you learn/revise might help, like visual, hearing it, kinetic. You can try and inpletiment those to real life situations.
If we told you someone to go and see about it, you'd only forget where you were going on the way :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Original post by MBap1
Certain Anti-depressants/psycotics tend to screw up with your memory, try out some new medications until you find one that suits you. There's this computer program that flashes what you want to remember from time to time apparently its really effective(forgot the name) try look for it online but its simple and you can do it while your on the laptop or computer. My little brother uses this technique where he writes what he needs to remember on notes(for exams and so)and posts them around his room and apparently when it comes down to the exams he does pretty well..something to do with the subconcious mind picking up the little things. But yeah good luck :smile:

I'm on antipsychotics but can't really change them as this combination is the best I've found so far and I've been experimenting for 8 years. :sigh:

Could you tell me more about this computer program please? Does it flash like when I'm doing something different or...?
I've been on medication for less than a year, and even I've noticed that my memory's gone to s***. My doctor and psychiatrist are insistent that my antidepressants are not causing it, but I don't believe anything else could have caused such a drastic change in such a short time span. Recently I've been completely forgetting entire days. I'm considering changing medication anyway, so If I do, hopefully that will help... Sabertooth, may I ask if the memory problems you're suffering from are a recent development for you, or has it been gradually getting worse over a long period of time?
Reply 6
Original post by Dropout_06
I've been on medication for less than a year, and even I've noticed that my memory's gone to s***. My doctor and psychiatrist are insistent that my antidepressants are not causing it, but I don't believe anything else could have caused such a drastic change in such a short time span. Recently I've been completely forgetting entire days. I'm considering changing medication anyway, so If I do, hopefully that will help... Sabertooth, may I ask if the memory problems you're suffering from are a recent development for you, or has it been gradually getting worse over a long period of time?

My memory problems being this bad is a pretty new and quick development. Though at the beginning of my treatment with antipsychotics I noticed pretty soon that my memory was being affected just not to the same extent as now. I recently had an exam and revising for it was pure torture, not a thing would go in and sure I've failed. Also, like you mention I often forget whole days too.

I would say if you haven't tried other antidepressants, changing might be a good idea to see if that helps. If you've already tried a few antidepressants and they didn't work for you but this one does makes the decision a fair bit harder.
Original post by Sabertooth
My memory problems being this bad is a pretty new and quick development. Though at the beginning of my treatment with antipsychotics I noticed pretty soon that my memory was being affected just not to the same extent as now. I recently had an exam and revising for it was pure torture, not a thing would go in and sure I've failed. Also, like you mention I often forget whole days too.

I would say if you haven't tried other antidepressants, changing might be a good idea to see if that helps. If you've already tried a few antidepressants and they didn't work for you but this one does makes the decision a fair bit harder.

Yeah, as I said, it was less than a year ago I was put on antidepressants, and considering my memory's been affected this badly in such a short time, It scares me to think how much worse it may have become after another year or two.
I've only been on the one so far, but up until very recently it was working extremely well, which is why I'm reluctant to switch medication, but I'll definitely have to consider it.
Best of luck with your exam result, hopefully you've done better than you expect! :smile:
I came up with a great suggestion for you ... but then I forgot it :frown:
Original post by Mpagtches
I came up with a great suggestion for you ... but then I forgot it :frown:

I'm glad you find someone else's genuine concerns amusing... :mad:

I'm on antipsychotics but can't really change them as this combination is the best I've found so far and I've been experimenting for 8 years. :sigh:

Do you mind me asking if you have experienced these memory problems with any of the previous medications you've tried? I'm really starting to worry about any possible long-term, or even permanent damage antidepressants may be causing me.
Do you mind me asking if you have experienced these memory problems with any of the previous medications you've tried? I'm really starting to worry about any possible long-term, or even permanent damage antidepressants may be causing me.

I've been on medication for mental illness about 8 years now (antidepressants and antipsychotics) and I've definitely noticed a downward trend. However it's hard for me to tell which ones are most responsible. I've not had a substantial break in order to assess whether there's permanent damage or if it's simply the drugs. I know I'm much slower when it comes to intelligence; reading "difficult" books is much harder and everyday things like working out which product is better value in the supermarket I just suck at when before it was easy. So there's definitely negative effects but I can't pinpoint the exact cause. Sorry this isn't too helpful. :colondollar:
I've been on medication for mental illness about 8 years now (antidepressants and antipsychotics) and I've definitely noticed a downward trend. However it's hard for me to tell which ones are most responsible. I've not had a substantial break in order to assess whether there's permanent damage or if it's simply the drugs. I know I'm much slower when it comes to intelligence; reading "difficult" books is much harder and everyday things like working out which product is better value in the supermarket I just suck at when before it was easy. So there's definitely negative effects but I can't pinpoint the exact cause. Sorry this isn't too helpful. :colondollar:

Not at all, I really appreciate your response. I'm sorry for seemingly hijacking your thread here! For me, the most noticeable thing by far, has been my writing. I seem to be continually misspelling short, commonly used words, that would never have given me any problems a year ago, or missing words out altogether. I also have to constantly re-read and re-write things to ensure they make sense, it's becoming quite frustrating. I can only assume that the antidepressants are the cause, since nothing else has changed.
Not at all, I really appreciate your response. I'm sorry for seemingly hijacking your thread here! For me, the most noticeable thing by far, has been my writing. I seem to be continually misspelling short, commonly used words, that would never have given me any problems a year ago, or missing words out altogether. I also have to constantly re-read and re-write things to ensure they make sense, it's becoming quite frustrating. I can only assume that the antidepressants are the cause, since nothing else has changed.

I have that exact problem too, though as well as missing out and mis-spelling words, I often write words that are similar instead of the one I wanted. It is very frustrating. And yep, I have to read things over loads to make sure it's right. (thank god for Chrome spell check)

It could be your antidepressant but it might be worth considering whether it's the underlying depression. If your antidepressant isn't working anymore, depression can have symptoms like difficulty concentrating and thinking which might be showing themselves now.
I have that exact problem too, though as well as missing out and mis-spelling words, I often write words that are similar instead of the one I wanted. It is very frustrating. And yep, I have to read things over loads to make sure it's right. (thank god for Chrome spell check)

It could be your antidepressant but it might be worth considering whether it's the underlying depression. If your antidepressant isn't working anymore, depression can have symptoms like difficulty concentrating and thinking which might be showing themselves now.

:lol: Yeah, the spell checker has been rather useful lately for me too!
I'm not so sure, I've been suffering from severe depression for many years, but it's only in the past few months I've noticed that my memory's been letting me down, but thanks for the advice. I hope you're able to work out a way to improve your own memory problems. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest