The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newtothis00
Thanks for making the thread!!

Predicted: A*A*A

Applying for Oxford, Durham, St Andrews, York and Nottingham - anyone else with the same??
When did everyone send their applications off?

Hey! I'm applying really similar to that, but for joint subjects :smile:

Applying for English and Classics at Oxford, St Andrews and Leeds, then English and Politics at York and Liberal Arts (English, Classics, French) at Durham :smile:

I sent my application off on the 7th of October and I've had e-mails confirming they've got my application from them all :smile:
Reply 41
Hello!

I've applied for English at Cambridge, King's College London, Durham, Edinburgh and York. I've already got offers from KCL and York.

I sent my application on the 8th of October, so not too long ago! :smile:
Original post by english23
Yes I'm applying for Cambridge too! (Newnham college) Completed my SAQ on Thursday :smile:

I just completed my SAQ today but to be honest I'm worrying that they might not even interview me because my AS grades weren't as high as expected (I got AABB but this year I'm predicted A*AAA, I should have had AAAB I just made a stupid mistake in my history exam :'( )
Reply 43
Predicted A*AA, I got AAA at AS somehow!

I applied to Newcastle, York, Leeds, UCL, and Cambridge (King's College).

I had an offer from Newcastle on Friday :biggrin: I've not completed my SAQ yet, and now I've also got to worry about writing two essays to send off to them, I hope it's worth it! I did the Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge for English and fell in love with the place, but I really really want UCL, just worried that my fourth AS is a D (in maths) so they won't give me an offer :frown:
Original post by emmavh_
Predicted A*AA, I got AAA at AS somehow!

I applied to Newcastle, York, Leeds, UCL, and Cambridge (King's College).

I had an offer from Newcastle on Friday :biggrin: I've not completed my SAQ yet, and now I've also got to worry about writing two essays to send off to them, I hope it's worth it! I did the Sutton Trust summer school at Cambridge for English and fell in love with the place, but I really really want UCL, just worried that my fourth AS is a D (in maths) so they won't give me an offer :frown:

Regarding the two essays to send to them, is that something your college has asked for? Or something from the uni itself? I applied to Queens' but I haven't had any requests for essays so I'm just wondering whether I've missed something.
Reply 45
Original post by katiecsmith1998
Regarding the two essays to send to them, is that something your college has asked for? Or something from the uni itself? I applied to Queens' but I haven't had any requests for essays so I'm just wondering whether I've missed something.

I applied on Wednesday and got an email on Friday about doing the SAQ, and then written work. Here's the link they sent me: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applicant-information/essay-guidelines.html

I was told during the summer school we'd have to submit essays, but I'm not sure if it's every college or not :s-smilie:
Original post by emmavh_
I applied on Wednesday and got an email on Friday about doing the SAQ, and then written work. Here's the link they sent me: http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applicant-information/essay-guidelines.html

I was told during the summer school we'd have to submit essays, but I'm not sure if it's every college or not :s-smilie:

Ahhhh okay I've checked the Queens' website again and I will have to submit essays but they just haven't been requested yet, so all is well for now. Out of interest, what sort of thing are you submitting?
Reply 47
Original post by katiecsmith1998
Ahhhh okay I've checked the Queens' website again and I will have to submit essays but they just haven't been requested yet, so all is well for now. Out of interest, what sort of thing are you submitting?

My deadline is 5th November but they have to be sent by post so I'll have to send them off before then :s-smilie:

I was thinking some bits of my coursework, and then maybe an essay on something I did on my summer school. I'm guessing if we do get an interview, a big topic covered will be what we write our essays on.
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia
There haven't been too many applying for Oxbridge at my Sixth Form this year, two are applying to Cambridge and about 5 for Oxford, mainly for law/linguistics/natsci. We've been told not to apply to Balliol this year (I don't know why) and a LOT of people are applying for Exeter (especially for History/Law). I am the only person in the entire year applying for anything English related, there have only been two people applying for English (including me) in the last three years!

I have also applied for Edinburgh (first choice), Cardiff, Queen Mary, and Royal Holloway. What about you?

I haven't even started prepping for the ELAT yet! It has been so busy over these past few weeks, and I'm going on a school trip tomorrow for a week, plus its my 18th in the half-term, so I am just going to CRAM in the first few days back! How are you doing with the submitted work?

As Balliol's access and admissions officer, I can also provide no reason why you've been told not to apply to Balliol either. Always take advice from schools on Oxbridge colleges with the biggest pinch of salt - I have five or six friends in Balliol whose schools told them not to apply to Balliol. Wherever you apply, you have an equal chance of getting into Oxford, and certainly Balliol's apparent competitiveness is skewed not only by the particular subjects it offers, but by subjects like PPE which is historically v. v. oversubscribed in Balliol.
Reply 49
Predicted Grades: A*AA
AS Grades: AAAB

I've applied for English Lit at Cambridge (Selwyn), Durham, Exeter, Nottingham and UEA (Unconditional offer with scholarship if put as firm).

SAQ is done, just need to send it off! Does anyone know how to prepare for the essay they ask you to write at interview for Cambridge?
Predicted A*AA at A2 (and an A/B in a further AS)
I've already applied for English at Southampton, Royal Holloway and Sussex, and English Lit with Creative Writing at UEA (sent my portfolio this afternoon). Holding back on my 5th choice for the moment.
My application was sent on the 12th Oct. Received all 4 acknowledgement emails, plus the portfolio request from UEA, but that's all so far.

EDIT: Added English and American Literature at Kent as my 5th choice on 28th Oct - Received a conditional offer (ABB) on the 29th Oct.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 51
--
(edited 8 years ago)
Got my first offer from Kent today for English and American Literature.
Got my first offer from KCL today. I'm so happy :u: They only want AA from me because I already achieved an A in A-Level Maths.
Received an offer from Warwick for straight English on Thursday! Eee!
Original post by kitchentowel1
Received an offer from Warwick for straight English on Thursday! Eee!
s
Well done! How long ago did you send your application and what offer did you receive? :smile:
Hey guys! Applying to Cambridge, Exeter, Bristol, Sheffield and UCL - got my UCL interview this week but no offers yet 😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emilywest98
s
Well done! How long ago did you send your application and what offer did you receive? :smile:

My application was sent off on the 7th and i got asked to get AAA or A*AB :smile:
Original post by kitchentowel1
My application was sent off on the 7th and i got asked to get AAA or A*AB :smile:

That's fantastic :smile: may I ask what your predicted and AS grades are? Hopefully I will get an offer soon!
just got an offer from Birmingham for English language and literature. does anyone know when Nottingham start giving out offers? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending