The Student Room Group

English Applicants 2016

I have yet to come across an English applicants thread, so I thought why wait? And now a thread has been created.
Predicted: AAB

I'm hoping to study English Literature at Nottingham, with my other 4 choices being; Birmingham, Newcastle, Liverpool and Reading.

Anyone else?

Scroll to see replies

Hello! Thank-you for making the thread!

I'm predicted A*AA

I'm hoping to study English Literature at Edinburgh. I'm also applying for English Language and Literature at Oxford, English Literature at Cardiff, English at Queen Mary, and English and Creative Writing at Royal Holloway.

How far are you in the application process???

Original post by j0ydivision
I have yet to come across an English applicants thread, so I thought why wait? And now a thread has been created.
Predicted: AAB

I'm hoping to study English Literature at Nottingham, with my other 4 choices being; Birmingham, Newcastle, Liverpool and Reading.

Anyone else?
I'm predicted A*A*A*A*

I'd love to study English at Oxford or Bristol, but I'd be happy with any if my choices. Also applying to Birmingham, Nottingham and Durham.
:smile:
Reply 3
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia
Hello! Thank-you for making the thread!

I'm predicted A*AA

I'm hoping to study English Literature at Edinburgh. I'm also applying for English Language and Literature at Oxford, English Literature at Cardiff, English at Queen Mary, and English and Creative Writing at Royal Holloway.

How far are you in the application process???

As you're applying for Oxford I assume you've already written your personal statement? Do you mind me asking how many literary works you talked about and how much depth you went into? I'm a particular fan of 20th century American poets such as Plath and beat poetry such as Ginsberg, so I was thinking about talking about this? And then going into the origins of my love of literature being from reading Rudyard Kipling's 'Just So Stories' as a child. Do you think these would be the right way to go? Sorry for all the questions, it's just I haven't really had much assistance!
Predicted: A*A*A + A (already achieved)
AS grades: AAAAB

Applying for Oxford, UCL, Kings College London, Queen Mary and Warwick.
(edited 8 years ago)
As you're applying for Oxford I assume you've already written your personal statement? Do you mind me asking how many literary works you talked about and how much depth you went into? I'm a particular fan of 20th century American poets such as Plath and beat poetry such as Ginsberg, so I was thinking about talking about this? And then going into the origins of my love of literature being from reading Rudyard Kipling's 'Just So Stories' as a child. Do you think these would be the right way to go? Sorry for all the questions, it's just I haven't really had much assistance!

Hello! No problem asking questions, I'm more than happy to help! I have just finished my personal statement yesterday and have spoken about four novels, one play, and one poem. I haven't really gone into much depth about the novels as such, but I have done a short analysis on one of them. I'm really interested in Romanticism, but haven't mentioned it as much as I'd like, so would definitely recommend talking about the areas that interest you! I think that your suggestions would be a good way to go, my decision for an English degree came out of my realisation that I didn't want to do a History one. So I think it would be a great idea to mention Rudyard Kipling! Have you seen any live theatre or performed in any school plays recently? I've also mentioned performance in mine, and maybe mentioning a play you particularly like might enhance your application? I think most people just refer to novels, so if you did mention the Plath and Ginsberg poetry, that would make you stand out, but if you added in a play or two as well, that might enhance your application!

I hope I have helped...re-reading my PS over the last few days has really made me overthink it: that I haven't done myself justice and haven't written as well as I usually have. It is very stressful haha! If you have any more questions, just let me know :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by RebeccaTheWhovia
Hello! No problem asking questions, I'm more than happy to help! I have just finished my personal statement yesterday and have spoken about four novels, one play, and one poem. I haven't really gone into much depth about the novels as such, but I have done a short analysis on one of them. I'm really interested in Romanticism, but haven't mentioned it as much as I'd like, so would definitely recommend talking about the areas that interest you! I think that your suggestions would be a good way to go, my decision for an English degree came out of my realisation that I didn't want to do a History one. So I think it would be a great idea to mention Rudyard Kipling! Have you seen any live theatre or performed in any school plays recently? I've also mentioned performance in mine, and maybe mentioning a play you particularly like might enhance your application? I think most people just refer to novels, so if you did mention the Plath and Ginsberg poetry, that would make you stand out, but if you added in a play or two as well, that might enhance your application!

I hope I have helped...re-reading my PS over the last few days has really made me overthink it: that I haven't done myself justice and haven't written as well as I usually have. It is very stressful haha! If you have any more questions, just let me know :smile:

Thank you so much, you lovely human!! Tell me about it, I've barely even started and I'm completely bricking it, especially since I had to re-sit year 12, after some unfortunate circumstances last year... Good luck with everything and thanks for the help (again) ,:smile:))
Reply 7
This might be a stupid question but my first language is not english, should i subtly bring it up in my PS or not? I'm an english applicant too.
Thank you so much, you lovely human!! Tell me about it, I've barely even started and I'm completely bricking it, especially since I had to re-sit year 12, after some unfortunate circumstances last year... Good luck with everything and thanks for the help (again) ,:smile:))

Don't worry about re-sitting Year 12. I re-sat the year due to some family issues, but I've spoken to admission tutors and as long as your referee includes it in the teacher's reference you won't be at any disadvantage.

Good luck with your application. I hope all is well with you :smile:
Thanks for making the thread!
(edited 8 years ago)
AS Grades: ABB
Predicted: AAA
Applying for Newcastle, Kings College London, Bristol (and either 2 of Nottingham, Sheffield or Edinburgh).
Let me know if anyone else is applying to one of these uni's :smile:
AS Grades: AAAAA
A2 Predicted: A*A*A*A*

Applying for Cambridge, Durham, UCL, Exeter and Bristol (got an offer from them last week of A*AA!)
Just wondering whether anyone else was applying to Cambridge??
Reply 12
Wow, you're all predicted really high grades. I'm predicted ABB, but only got CCE (Got a C in the AS subject) and I'm resitting the E and one of the C's.

I'm applying to University of Lincoln, Chester and possibly University of Leicester, if I like it?
I know it's REALLY early but has anyone got any offers yet (know a few people who have - not for English though)? Or anyone preparing for ELAT? Sorry just really nosy about what everyone's doing!! :tongue:
Original post by newtothis00
I know it's REALLY early but has anyone got any offers yet (know a few people who have - not for English though)? Or anyone preparing for ELAT? Sorry just really nosy about what everyone's doing!! :tongue:

I know a few have for KCL :smile:
Reply 16
As grades: AAAC + A* in EPQ
Predicted: A*A*A
Applied to Oxford for Eng Lang and Lit, Birmingham and Leicester for straight Lit and Birmingham (again), Warwick and Leicester for Lit and Creative writing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi!

My predicted grades are A*A*A*

I've applied to Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, St. Andrews and Bristol, all for English Literature
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Renaa
As grades: AAAC + A* in EPQ
Predicted: A*A*A
Applied to Oxford for Eng Lang and Lit, Birmingham and Leicester for straight Lit and Birmingham (again), Warwick and Leicester for Lit and Creative writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey can I ask what college you're applying to?
Original post by newtothis00

I've been prepping for ELAT as best I can! It's so hard when you're not really sure what they're looking for. I've done two past papers and given them to my English teacher to read, and I've got a book on close reading and unseen texts which I'm hoping will help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending