The Student Room Group

maths a level graphical calculator.

Are you allowed a graphical calculator in all the exams (AQA) apart from C1? I'm also studying further maths. So do you think it would be beneficial in purchasing one:?
Also, I know some calculators aren't allowed, which ones are? Which graphical calculator would you recommend?

Scroll to see replies

If you're seen with a graphical calculator, you can betcha one of the invigilators is gonna run up and drop kick it out of your hands before shredding your paper into a million tiny pieces.

:smile:
I'm pretty sure they're allowed, at least in edexcel they are
Original post by NeeIam
Are you allowed a graphical calculator in all the exams (AQA) apart from C1? I'm also studying further maths. So do you think it would be beneficial in purchasing one:?
Also, I know some calculators aren't allowed, which ones are? Which graphical calculator would you recommend?

There are some graphical calculators you can use, but they really just aren't worth what you will pay for them. I'm doing A2 maths and further with AQA and you seriously don't need one at all.
They are allowed in all AQA exams apart from C1, thats a fact.
They are very helpfull and you can do pretty much any question on them so you can always check your working.
Original post by NeeIam

You're better off with a silver a level casio calculator.
Reply 6
nah they are allowed..
Original post by High Stakes
If you're seen with a graphical calculator, you can betcha one of the invigilators is gonna run up and drop kick it out of your hands before shredding your paper into a million tiny pieces.

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by MathsAstronomy12
I'm pretty sure they're allowed, at least in edexcel they are

Yep with AQA they are allowed too
Reply 8
Original post by whydoidothis?
They are allowed in all AQA exams apart from C1, thats a fact.
They are very helpfull and you can do pretty much any question on them so you can always check your working.

Yeah which one do you think would be worth buying?
It's allowed. During AS maths it is useless.
Reply 10
Original post by NotNotBatman
It's allowed. During AS maths it is useless.

Yeah I agree, but my teacher was saying it'd be more beneficial buying it now rather than in second yr because it can be quite hard getting used to it
Original post by NeeIam
Yeah I agree, but my teacher was saying it'd be more beneficial buying it now rather than in second yr because it can be quite hard getting used to it

Though I haven't covered all of A2 maths yet, I don't think it will be necessary for c3 or c4. It's better than having to picture a graph, but you still need to show the working in order to gain marks.
Reply 12
no point buying one, seriously. it is completely useless at AS, and at A2 the graphs arent even hard
I'd recommend getting one - I teach Maths and most of our students get one. We can order them through school at a discount.

They help with sketching graphs as you can check your working is correct. They also help with S1 calculations and many other topics.

We use CASIO but check what the school recommend.
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
I'd recommend getting one - I teach Maths and most of our students get one. We can order them through school at a discount.

They help with sketching graphs as you can check your working is correct. They also help with S1 calculations and many other topics.

We use CASIO but check what the school recommend.

Okay thank you! I've been confused as to whether it would be worth it because I get people either completely for it, or completely against and call it a waste of money. But I do think it will be useful
Reply 15
Original post by kelefi
no point buying one, seriously. it is completely useless at AS, and at A2 the graphs arent even hard

Hmm i really don't know whether I should
I dont think youre gonna need graphical calculators unless youre gonna do like S2.... but even then you wont really need it, my brother and cousin who both got A*s in maths A level used this one : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-991ESPLUS-SA-UH-FX-991ESPLUS-Scientific-Calculator/dp/B0034BAQS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444336263&sr=8-2&keywords=casio+calculator - it even solves cubic functions and quadratic ones! ;D.. it can also do more but I haven't bothered with anything else for it.
Original post by Nirvana27
You're better off with a silver a level casio calculator.

THIS. fx991ES plus. Can do numerical differentiation and integration and summations, matrix multiplications, complex number algebra, solve simultaneous equations and is relatively cheap
Original post by EricPiphany
THIS. fx991ES plus. Can do numerical differentiation and integration and summations, matrix multiplications, complex number algebra, solve simultaneous equations and is relatively cheap

Got that one and can't recommend it enough, very useful for fp1 and most modules really.
Original post by NeeIam
Okay thank you! I've been confused as to whether it would be worth it because I get people either completely for it, or completely against and call it a waste of money. But I do think it will be useful

Does your teacher use one and show you how they can benefit you? It does take some practising but if you're not using them in class it's more marginal.

We have class sets so students can try them out and see whether they find them useful.

Quick Reply

Latest