The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Economics & Business with East European Studies UCL 2016 Entry

Hi, I was wondering if anyone else was interested in applying for this or has already applied?

Also this may sound silly but does anyone know if there is a bias in favour of foreign students who may apply from Eastern Europe and may appear more suitable to the course.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there joey, I have recently applied to this course as well so we might be classmates. But I am applying as an international student from Singapore. Our A levels are slightly different from yours, in that we don't have A*, got ABBB for my A-levels. Added in my current university results of 2:1 as well, hoping that helps
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by loyster
Hey there joey, I have recently applied to this course as well so we might be classmates. But I am applying as an international student from Singapore. Our A levels are slightly different from yours, in that we don't have A*, got ABBB for my A-levels. Added in my current university results of 2:1 as well, hoping that helps

Oh that's kl. I'm planning on applying at the end of October because I'm still fine-tuning my personal statement. Good luck with your application and I hope it goes well for both of us.
Reply 3
Original post by joey4live
Oh that's kl. I'm planning on applying at the end of October because I'm still fine-tuning my personal statement. Good luck with your application and I hope it goes well for both of us.

Thank You, wish you all the best yea. Do let me know if you get in, will update you as well, might be able to be coursemates!:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by loyster
Thank You, wish you all the best yea. Do let me know if you get in, will update you as well, might be able to be coursemates!:smile:

Haha thanks, will do.
Reply 5
Original post by loyster

Hi! Are you a first year student trying to apply for year 1 at UCL? Because I'm thinking of transferring there as well and I'm in year 1 at another university right now!
Reply 6
Original post by Kyla Lam
Hi! Are you a first year student trying to apply for year 1 at UCL? Because I'm thinking of transferring there as well and I'm in year 1 at another university right now!

Yeap kyla same situation as you haha.
Reply 7
where do you study and what made you have this thought? I'm really curious and very glad to know someone's like me too haha
Reply 8
haha I am currently studying in Singapore in the National University of Singapore. Hmm well, I guess you can say that in Singapore it's really competitive , in a sense that even if your score 70 percent , that might not get you an A grade because all our grades are bell curved. So how you perform in a test is relative to how others perform. If you have attained a same standard as the majority , even at 70, that would only be a B. After some time, I really started to question why am I constantly pitting myself against others ahha, and so here I am applying for UCL. This is not to say that UCL is not competitive, but its just that I want to get rewarded for my effort instead of how well others have done, I am really quite sick of thinking about using how others are doing as a gauge for how well I have done.

But more importantly, I have heard that travelling to an overseas country really makes someone more independent, more open and receptive. There is also a great bunch of international friends to be made like you! haha. But yea, I am glad to finally found someone in the same situation as me, applying for year 1 again! Not many have the willingness to go through as a year 1 again and that makes us warriors! haha
Reply 9
Original post by Kyla Lam
where do you study and what made you have this thought? I'm really curious and very glad to know someone's like me too haha

haha I am currently studying in Singapore in the National University of Singapore. Hmm well, I guess you can say that in Singapore it's really competitive , in a sense that even if your score 70 percent , that might not get you an A grade because all our grades are bell curved. So how you perform in a test is relative to how others perform. If you have attained a same standard as the majority , even at 70, that would only be a B. After some time, I really started to question why am I constantly pitting myself against others ahha, and so here I am applying for UCL. This is not to say that UCL is not competitive, but its just that I want to get rewarded for my effort instead of how well others have done, I am really quite sick of thinking about using how others are doing as a gauge for how well I have done. But more importantly, I have heard that travelling to an overseas country really makes someone more independent, more open and receptive. There is also a great bunch of international friends to be made like you! haha. But yea, I am glad to finally found someone in the same situation as me, applying for year 1 again! Not many have the willingness to go through as a year 1 again and that makes us warriors! haha
anyone got an offer yet?
Reply 11
Original post by galatasaray1905
anyone got an offer yet?

Nope
anyone got an offer yet?

Yep. My condition is AAA.
Original post by randomapplicant6

when did you apply and when did you get it?
when did you apply and when did you get it?

Hi, I think I applied between the 10th and the 12th of October. I got my offer about a week ago.
Reply 15

are your predicted grades AAA? and got an AAA offer is it?
Original post by jihye
are your predicted grades AAA? and got an AAA offer is it?

My predicted grades are higher than my offer of AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My predicted grades are higher than my offer of AAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile

did they interview?
did they interview?

It said on ucas that they might, but they didn't. I guess my PS was convincing enough :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah applied for this course too plus straight econ

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending