The Student Room Group

I think i flopped this 25 mark question -_-

the question was ''To what Extent does Democracy in the UK Suffer from a Participation Crisis''

my answer
1. ParticipationCrisis is the dwindling numbers of citizens politically participatingin the UK that is threatening to erode the current democratic system. There isnumerous reasons causing apathy among citizens the main ones being the lackIndifference between Political parties , Centralised consensus ,representatives from wealthy backgrounds which can't really see Citizens view fromtheir point of view. Citizens have seen this as flaw in the system and losttrust in the political parties , it has said to have the following factors inits bias. The decreasing number of voters in G.E andlocal elections. Voting is seen as one of the most important or influencingfactor in working democracies , but in recent elections held in the UK; numberof voters have declined significantly when less than %60 out of the Eligible citizensvoted compared to the 1997 G.E were 78% of the Eligible citizens voted . However there are several factors resulting tothis significant Decrease , the main one being the lack of indifference,meaning the opposition and the ruling parties may have a lot of commonpolicies or interests and in some cases have little difference ,that may beconsequent to the apathy among most of the citizens.

Increasing numbers of Pressure Groups/cults and the decreasing numbers of partymembership. Citizens have seen joining cults or pressure groups as analternative way of influencing centralized consensus and giving their view ,for instance The National Trust it has been said to have more active membersthan most political parties raising up to 3million and also having the power toconsult with the government on their members behalf and also been mentionedthat this the most effective unorthodox way . However in other cases; members inpressure groups have been spiralling downwards some say its lack of democraticsystem within the group others say its unequal participatory .nevertheless thismethod has said to have a positive outcome in political participation in the UK.

Partisan Dealignment is when citizens feel less drawn to a their electoratepartisan. the lower middle class and working class have become relatively sameconcept in some parts of the public due to the undefined class line by therising income levels. the decrease of party loyalty and the cause ofdealignment is the product of disillusionment; when citizens discover they haven't voted for difference rather adifferent name ,an example of partisan dealignment would be in 2006 The Local Electionsin Barking and Dagenham ,residences voted for British National Party(extremeright) rather than their traditional partisan alignment(Labour), Dealignmentcan also be caused by a Coalition government where as the party with fewermembers has to agree with the majority and some policies differ thus causingloyal partisan to dealign , However it's all down to governments behaviour andoverall performance within the given mandate.

There has been numerous trialled methods on tackling such issue for instance'E-democracy' ,Postal voting , SMS text voting and even Web-based . the UK government has yet to test out SMS andWeb-based electoral cause of the high risk of Fraud and superficial Votes , thealternative method on increasing political participation is ''Compulsoryvoting'' . By using compulsion the government would be able to hear less activemembers of the society's view, but there is still said to be Floating voteswhich aren't necessarily accurate .
However, Fraud can be tackled with a unique code given to every Eligiblecitizen.
Hiya,

I'm sorry to hear that you think you done poorly - hope you've done ok :smile:

Btw, I wouldn't be able to tell you how well you answered because I don't know what subject or module this is for - you might get more help if you stated what subject/course/module this was for :yep:

Once I know what subject this is for I'll get this thread moved to that section for you, so you'll get more constructive advice :yy:
Reply 2
Original post by spotify95
Hiya,

I'm sorry to hear that you think you done poorly - hope you've done ok :smile:

Btw, I wouldn't be able to tell you how well you answered because I don't know what subject or module this is for - you might get more help if you stated what subject/course/module this was for :yep:

Once I know what subject this is for I'll get this thread moved to that section for you, so you'll get more constructive advice :yy:

Oh sorry its AS Gov&Politics Unit 1 political participation
Original post by Hurbad
Oh sorry its AS Gov&Politics Unit 1 political participation

Okay thank you - I'll see if I can get this moved so that other people who are also doing Govt & Politics can give you some advice. :yy:

Edit: Moved for you :yy:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending