The Student Room Group

Graduate applicants/students on undergraduate courses

Hi there! I searched for a similar topic everywhere but couldn't find one, so apologies if this thread already exists!

I was wondering where are graduates wishing to study a 5 year undergraduate medicine course (not GEM) applying to?

Also, I am super confused when it comes to funding, are we eligible at all to get a loan? If I understand correctly, we can get a maintenance loan for the first 4 years, but please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone! :smile:
Reply 1
All questions like these are answered in the GEM thread, as it's a mixture of graduates applying for both 4 and 5 year courses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by cyftii
Hi there! I searched for a similar topic everywhere but couldn't find one, so apologies if this thread already exists!

I was wondering where are graduates wishing to study a 5 year undergraduate medicine course (not GEM) applying to?

Also, I am super confused when it comes to funding, are we eligible at all to get a loan? If I understand correctly, we can get a maintenance loan for the first 4 years, but please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi :smile:. Fellow grad and 5yr applicant here :smile:

The gem thread as the last poster mentioned is pretty good.

I'm sure we can apply for maintenance loan. I think we can apply for nhs bursary too but I'm not 100% on that and how it would affect maintenance loan. I also don't know if they would affect each other, but if they do, then at least bursary is non repayable. Solid info on financing med as a second degree is a nightmare to find!
Reply 3
Original post by cyftii

I don't suppose you've found any info on tuition fees? I'm a few grand short so need to apply to every available source or work myself into the ground :s-smilie:
Original post by treenyc
I don't suppose you've found any info on tuition fees? I'm a few grand short so need to apply to every available source or work myself into the ground :s-smilie:

You will need to self fund £36,000
The NHS covers the final year's fees but there is no loan or bursary available for years 1-4. Good luck and enjoy the future of 15p noodles and cereal :wink:

The maintenance system is changing, I think from 2016 it's not means tested and you can apply for about 8k a year. The change does mean grants are scrapped for lower income students though.
Reply 5
Original post by Quilverine
You will need to self fund £36,000
The NHS covers the final year's fees but there is no loan or bursary available for years 1-4. Good luck and enjoy the future of 15p noodles and cereal :wink:

The maintenance system is changing, I think from 2016 it's not means tested and you can apply for about 8k a year. The change does mean grants are scrapped for lower income students though.

Yay !!!! 😂😂
I've an Irish passport, bank account and driver's licence so it's off to Scotland for me. £1800 a year :biggrin:

Quick Reply