The Student Room Group

Oxford Slang translated

Hey Guys and Girls,

As a fresher I'm finding that one of the things confusing me the most is the Oxford slang. So I thought I'd start a thread where Oxfordians could get together and break down the Oxfordian Language to freshers and potential applicants.

Examples of Oxfordian slang/Phrases:

Bops
Entz
Battels
Sub-Fusc
The Bod
Dean
Porter
Blues

I'm personally looking for someone to example what and where the "Schools" are because they are listed on my lecture list as the place to attend but I have no clue where they are!!! :colondollar:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LexieBug16
X

There's a 'dictionary' published by OUSU which has definitions for all of these words!

And by schools do you mean Examination Schools? It's a large building with lots of big (and small) rooms where lectures are held. It's by Univ and Queen's College (if you walk past Univ towards Magdalen then it'll be on your right).
Reply 2
Original post by Plagioclase
There's a 'dictionary' published by OUSU which has definitions for all of these words!

"Entz - As in, ‘events’ " :lolwut:

I'm personally looking for someone to example what and where the "Schools" are because they are listed on my lecture list as the place to attend but I have no clue where they are!!! :colondollar:

https://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/schools/

Many of your other listed words are not slang at all - just words you are not familiar with. Sub fusc and battels, for instance.
Reply 4

You're reading History aren't you? More or less all of your weekly lectures will be held at Schools. So you won't really need to know where it is till your Prelims next summer :teehee:
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey Guys and Girls,

As a fresher I'm finding that one of the things confusing me the most is the Oxford slang. So I thought I'd start a thread where Oxfordians could get together and break down the Oxfordian Language to freshers and potential applicants.

Examples of Oxfordian slang/Phrases:

Bops - nights out in college, often fancy dress
Entz - the guys who organise events at college
Battels - how you get charged for ****
Sub-Fusc - stupid outfit where tourists take photos of you
The Bod - The library
Dean - Head of the college
Porter - The guys who sort everything for you - be nice to them!
Blues - The university sports teams (e.g. the oxford blues rowers)

Schools: exam schools (on the high street).

Also useful:
pidge: the place where your mail goes/people fill with random stuff
podge: the porters lodge (useful meeting place)

Bops
Entz
Battels
Sub-Fusc
The Bod
Dean
Porter
Blues

Bops - parties for Oxford students, usually in colleges. And themed. Some people say it stands for 'big open party', some people say 'Bodleian only party'.

Entz - entertainment which could mean anything. Usually they refer to people who organise events for an organisation. They may also be called 'social secretaries'.

Battels - bills to pay your college. Meals.

Sub-fusc - the Oxford uniform for matriculation, graduation, and exams. Basically just business wear with a black or white neck or bow tie.

The Bod - the main library.

Dean - traditionally a head of a church, it's the disciplinary or welfare person at your college, or at ChCh, the head of house.

Potter - receptionist/guard but don't tell them I call them that.

Blues - sports stuff. Don't care.
Also :http://www.peetm.com/OxfordTerms.htm

And btw, other Unis have their slang as well. They just aren't as pompous about it as Oxbridge.
Oxfordians

Hmmm

Original post by returnmigrant
btw, other Unis have their slang as well.

little of it would usefully be posted in this the University of Oxford forum, though.
Original post by shoshin
"Entz - As in, ‘events’ " :lolwut:

No no no

The correct term I think you'll find is 'endz'

As in

Is bare mad tingz down in my endz fam
'Matriculate' = wear some weird **** for a day then jump in a river (optional)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Mpagtches
'Matriculate' = wear some weird **** for a day then jump in a river (optional)

That's May Morning not Matriculation
Original post by jneill
That's May Morning not Matriculation

My profound apologies; I am prepared to concede that my knowledge of poncy crap is rather limited :sadnod:
My profound apologies; I am prepared to concede that my knowledge of poncy crap is rather limited :sadnod:

There is nothing poncy about jumping into a British river in ordinary clothes, in either May or October.
Original post by Good bloke
There is nothing poncy about jumping into a British river in ordinary clothes, in either May or October.

Oh silly me, yes, it is entirely normal. I remember now. What came over me.
Original post by neuronerd
Schools: exam schools (on the high street).

Also useful:
pidge: the place where your mail goes/people fill with random stuff
podge: the porters lodge (useful meeting place)

Podge? :tongue:
Just goes to show how incapable the Oxbridge community is in speaking properly.
Original post by shoshin

Perhaps the porter in that plodge was a trifle rotund?
Original post by shoshin

meh typo (plodge) that may also be a new college thing, we also have the rew nooner spoom (I **** you not)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Oh silly me, yes, it is entirely normal. I remember now. What came over me.

A pig?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest