The Student Room Group

Living on a negative balance

I have bit of an issue in that my outgoing are more than my income, and I dont know what to do.

I have a job, in retail, but its only 21hrs a week, and ive just had a payrise on oct 1st to £7.00 an hour, up from £6.89. I do those hours over FIVE days a week (6hrs on a sunday, 3.75hrs Tues-Fri)
Currently, im unable to get any extra overtime at all, as head office "won't give the money to spend on wages", nor am I allowed to work on other departments as ive not been authorised, or due to the hours I already do Im unable to pick up the extra. Its been like this for about 6-7 weeks now, with no sign of changing until maybe dec if im lucky.
Anyway, this is leaving me with an income of £588 approx.

However for expenses, I have approx the following:
£300 a month rent.
£100~ in direct debits and bills.
£20 a week transport.
Credit card bills of £50 a month minimum payments, so usually £100 as that little extra.
That there is basically my entire months income. Then assume I spend £25 a week on food (though its more likely £35 id say), and suddenly im £100 down a month on what im earning at the very least!! So at the moment, im having to get my food on my credit card, which is defeating the repayments.

As far as im aware, im not entitled to any benefits as I dont work enough for tax credits, and too much for low income benefits.

What can I do at the moment though? There are no jobs I could do, at least not on any decent amount of hours. I can't get a second job due to main work 5 days of the week, and I would then not be flexible for either job even if the timings worked out. I have no way of making extra money that I know of.
But even if I survive out this month with whats left in my bank account, I predict by next month, or almost certainly by xmas if things dont change, i'll be going into what little savings I have to keep me afloat.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Johnsheppard99
What can I do at the moment though? There are no jobs I could do, at least not on any decent amount of hours.

There's no full time jobs in Mcdonalds? Or any other minimum wage employer?

Really you need to increase your hours or reduce your expenses. From the sounds of it; increasing your hours is the easier option.
I have bit of an issue in that my outgoing are more than my income, and I dont know what to do.

I have a job, in retail, but its only 21hrs a week, and ive just had a payrise on oct 1st to £7.00 an hour, up from £6.89. I do those hours over FIVE days a week (6hrs on a sunday, 3.75hrs Tues-Fri)
Currently, im unable to get any extra overtime at all, as head office "won't give the money to spend on wages", nor am I allowed to work on other departments as ive not been authorised, or due to the hours I already do Im unable to pick up the extra. Its been like this for about 6-7 weeks now, with no sign of changing until maybe dec if im lucky.

£300 a month rent.
£20 a week transport.
Credit card bills of £50 a month minimum payments, so usually £100 as that little extra.
That there is basically my entire months income. Then assume I spend £25 a week on food (though its more likely £35 id say), and suddenly im £100 down a month on what im earning at the very least!! So at the moment, im having to get my food on my credit card, which is defeating the repayments.

As far as im aware, im not entitled to any benefits as I dont work enough for tax credits, and too much for low income benefits.

What can I do at the moment though? There are no jobs I could do, at least not on any decent amount of hours. I can't get a second job due to main work 5 days of the week, and I would then not be flexible for either job even if the timings worked out. I have no way of making extra money that I know of.
But even if I survive out this month with whats left in my bank account, I predict by next month, or almost certainly by xmas if things dont change, i'll be going into what little savings I have to keep me afloat.

Thoughts?

I would say consider swapping to cheaper suppliers for all your bills if at all possible and swap to a cheaper supermarket if one is available to you and plan as much of your spending on food/other items as possible. Are you able to apply for bar jobs or any evening or ad hoc work you could do?
I'd look at your food budget. Can you get lower your repayments for your debts? Ok, they'll take longer. Can you shop anywhere cheaper for food?
Not going to lie, you'll be shattered. But you might have to look into part time evening work.
Reply 5
Try and sell things you don't need or want anymore.
Original post by Reue

Really you need to increase your hours or reduce your expenses. From the sounds of it; increasing your hours is the easier option.

Not near me. Everything is part time, either 0hr or 8-12hrs. When the minimum wage goes up in April, i'll be on minimum wage!
My work will not increase my hours further. They say they dont have the budget for wages. They are trying to cut peoples hours and regularly send people home to save money on wages.

Original post by claireestelle
I would say consider swapping to cheaper suppliers for all your bills if at all possible and swap to a cheaper supermarket if one is available to you and plan as much of your spending on food/other items as possible. Are you able to apply for bar jobs or any evening or ad hoc work you could do?

I get 10% discount in the shop I work, which is already one of the cheapest ones.
No to bar work or evening jobs, due to transport, current job hours etc, ive looked into a second job but I couldnt due to no flexibility with either job should I have one, and everything requires you to be available at the drop of a hat it seems.
Not near me. Everything is part time, either 0hr or 8-12hrs. When the minimum wage goes up in April, i'll be on minimum wage!
My work will not increase my hours further. They say they dont have the budget for wages. They are trying to cut peoples hours and regularly send people home to save money on wages.
I get 10% discount in the shop I work, which is already one of the cheapest ones.
No to bar work or evening jobs, due to transport, current job hours etc, ive looked into a second job but I couldnt due to no flexibility with either job should I have one, and everything requires you to be available at the drop of a hat it seems.

are you in the middle of nowhere/countryside somewhere? if not you will be able to find either a full time job or a part time job which can give you more stable hours e.g. telesales will be a few hours in the evening, can usually choose shifts or at least have a consistent rota, bank work as a support worker etc, and to be honest I find it very hard to believe there are no shop jobs etc offering full time
Original post by SophieSmall
Not going to lie, you'll be shattered. But you might have to look into part time evening work.

If he worked in the evenings on like 2 or 3 week days that's just the same as having a normal full time job.
Original post by doodle_333
are you in the middle of nowhere/countryside somewhere? if not you will be able to find either a full time job or a part time job which can give you more stable hours e.g. telesales will be a few hours in the evening, can usually choose shifts or at least have a consistent rota, bank work as a support worker etc, and to be honest I find it very hard to believe there are no shop jobs etc offering full time

Im in a large town, but there isnt anything. Ive been looking for a year almost now. Everything requires qualifications I dont have, you have to be able to drive (either due to distance, nature of job, or late night/early mornings when no public transport runs) or is retail offering less hours.
As for shop jobs offering full time, noone I know has full time hours in retail except home delivery drivers. They just dont exist anymore, as its cheaper and easier for companies to employ several part time tiny contracted people than one full timer due to benefits and covering hours etc.

Original post by SmashConcept
If he worked in the evenings on like 2 or 3 week days that's just the same as having a normal full time job.

How would I get too/from work though in the evenings? Transport doesnt run between 11pm and 8am where I live.

£300 a month rent.
£20 a week transport.

Thoughts?

You say you do not qualify for benefits but I find that hard to believe. I would contact the council as soon as possible. An income of £588 would almost certainly qualify you for full help with rent and council tax.

The first option is to look for more part time work to fill in the gaps or find a new job. The second option is to contact your bank about your credit card and get your interest frozen and work out a realistic repayment schedule.
Original post by evantej
You say you do not qualify for benefits but I find that hard to believe. I would contact the council as soon as possible. An income of £588 would almost certainly qualify you for full help with rent and council tax.

The first option is to look for more part time work to fill in the gaps or find a new job. The second option is to contact your bank about your credit card and get your interest frozen and work out a realistic repayment schedule.

Ive looked at all the government benefits information though and they all say no? I wouldnt know who to contact on the council as never dealt with them before.
Original post by Reue

I think you need a huge reality check if you think people can just walk into jobs such as McDonalds or any other minimum wage jobs. There are quite a lot of them, yet they are very competitive. Unlike the higher wage jobs which are super competitive. I guess this is why the "I'm alright Jack" crowd have the impression that anyone on benefits is simply workshy and doesn't apply for anything while the job centre simply signs them in and out every few months. .........................................
Always very sad to see people struggling to make ends meet in this very rich country of ours, I hope you make it through this mate and come out of it stronger.

As for your question is there not any part time work available? Couple hours here and there would help a lot in meeting some expenses, also as other have stated- you could try reducing some areas of spending.
Ive looked at all the government benefits information though and they all say no? I wouldnt know who to contact on the council as never dealt with them before.

You apply for housing and council tax benefit directly through your local council. They might have an online system but it is more likely you have to fill in a long paper application and send lots of evidence off with it.

What is your council?
Reply 15
Original post by ironandbeer2
I think you need a huge reality check if you think people can just walk into jobs such as McDonalds or any other minimum wage jobs. There are quite a lot of them, yet they are very competitive. Unlike the higher wage jobs which are super competitive. I guess this is why the "I'm alright Jack" crowd have the impression that anyone on benefits is simply workshy and doesn't apply for anything while the job centre simply signs them in and out every few months. .........................................

They don't seem to be too competitive around here. My experience has been that you can walk right into them.

Obviously it may be different in different parts of the country, hence why I asked the question.
using a credit card like this could get you into serious financial trouble so lets start with that - is it 0%? If not switch promptly http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards but you have to try and pay more than the minimum off.

Try to register for jobseekers allowance as what you need is a better paid job and they may be able to help you find one, or pay you benefit.

Apply for council tax benefit https://www.gov.uk/apply-council-tax-reduction, assuming you pay it

Apply for housing benefit https://www.gov.uk/housing-benefit/overview

if you have a spare room rent it
Have you considered finding somewhere cheaper to rent?
Public transport is a right pain. How far do you live from the centre of town? Could you consider getting a cheap second hand bike?

Also, if the normal application processes aren't getting you anywhere, you could try pubs and cafes. Often you can just walk in and talk directly to the owner / manager, and it's often possible to get a job just by doing that. They like the initiative, they usually need casual workers, and you showing up and looking enthusiastic saves the owner the hassle of advertising. Plus, they often have flexible hours, you can work in the evenings (around your current job), and you may even get a free meal.
Original post by OU Student
Have you considered finding somewhere cheaper to rent?

£300 a month is about as cheap as it gets in my experience, and I live in one of the cheapest areas of the country.

Not to mention he can't just up and leave his current tenancy :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending