The Student Room Group

Do you think A-level Maths should change?

After reading C2, C2, pure mathematics, i think that should be taught at GCSE level.
The other changes i belive that should happen, is use the orginal names of mathematical topic.
Linear algebra
Calculus...etc

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't seem like a very detailed plan for curriculum reform

A level maths will be changed for English students from 2017.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Hell, yes it should change.

Especially for those who go on to do maths at uni, A-Level maths just doesn't prepare you for the kind of proofs and mathematical rigour that you are expected to use.

I got a jolt when I started my maths course at uni!
I remember my school maths teacher saying that the slant on uni maths is so so different and based around proof and can be a real shock.
yes i think it should place more emphasis on mathematical logic and rigorous proof.
Original post by jsMath
After reading C2, C2, pure mathematics, i think that should be taught at GCSE level.
The other changes i belive that should happen, is use the orginal names of mathematical topic.
Linear algebra
Calculus...etc

Yes, I think it should be harder and focus more on proof.

What do you mean by use the original names? The names calculus and linear algebra are used(although in FP1 and C4 linear algebra is taught separately as vectors and matrices in different modules, so is often given the separate names vectors and matrices. Wait until FP4(if available) and it'll be taught in a uniform manner). Linear algebra isn't in C1-2 anyway.
Reply 5
A-level and University math revolution

We are dealing with statistical linear algebra and calculus, and i wish i had that foundation, although i managed to build a strong foundation, but it would have saved time if we were taught at A-level.

Universities are ripping money from students, i think Universities and am talking about top Unis, they have to pay 9000 pounds for students to study for them lol.

I call this educational scandal, like the horse meat scandal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by morgan8002
Yes, I think it should be harder and focus more on proof.

What do you mean by use the original names? The names calculus and linear algebra are used(although in FP1 and C4 linear algebra is taught separately as vectors and matrices in different modules, so is often given the separate names vectors and matrices. Wait until FP4(if available) and it'll be taught in a uniform manner). Linear algebra isn't in C1-2 anyway.

I finished my A-levels maths and further maths in one year.
I know they are included sperately, that's why i said call them their original names, and by the way i believe in Dirac notation for linear algebra, very clever technique used by him. And student will need it in Quantum physics or mechanics.
Original post by jsMath
I know they are included sperately, that's why i said call them their original names, and by the way i believe in Dirac notation for linear algebra, very clever technique used by him. And student will need it in Quantum physics or mechanics.

I still don't understand what you mean by use their original names.
Cool story bro.
Learn to spell.
Reply 8
Original post by morgan8002
I still don't understand what you mean by use their original names.
Cool story bro.
Learn to spell.

Suppose one is going to do a maths degree at uni, then it would be better that the topics names at alevel matches the ones at uni..

I had an accident that caused damage to my lang ability one of them i can't see well what am typing...
No. Some people have enough trouble with the A-level as it is.
Reply 10
Original post by SeanFM
No. Some people have enough trouble with the A-level as it is.

I agree with you, but don't you agree that some people need to take subjects that they are good at?
Original post by jsMath
I agree with you, but don't you agree that some people need to take subjects that they are good at?

Either that or a subject that interests them and they want to improve in it.
Reply 12
Original post by SeanFM
Either that or a subject that interests them and they want to improve in it.

I think this is causing disqualified people to enter mathematical related fields which is a waste.

We need to build a system that will lead a new generation to be innovated, and start making our own technology.

So being interested is not sufficient, because it is a traidoff with interest of the country.
Original post by jsMath
Suppose one is going to do a maths degree at uni, then it would be better that the topics names at alevel matches the ones at uni..

I had an accident that caused damage to my lang ability one of them i can't see well what am typing...

They do...
Reply 14
What would be my solution?

tbh i will start a system that teaches real maths, and does not only focus on procedural maths.

Mathematical modeling is what should be taught in the first place.

Students must be taught definitions, properties, and how to apply them...

If one is truly interested in mathematics, then it doesn't matter how one would think the subject is.

I was going to open a new topic on so called 'Big Bang' modelling, but it seems that i shouldn't do it.
As an example of real mathematics, or some may call it applied maths...
Reply 15
Original post by jsMath

how did you do A Levels Maths and Further Maths in only one year??
Reply 16
Original post by raghad.

It was my teacher who encouraged me to do so...

I will never forget the last exam was M4, i almost felt a break down, because i already did a lot, but managed to continue and get a good grade
Reply 17
Original post by raghad.

If you need help i can show you how?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by jsMath
If you need help i can show you how?

yes please!
Reply 19
Original post by jsMath
It was my teacher who encouraged me to do so...

I will never forget the last exam was M4, i almost felt a break down, because i already did a lot, but managed to continue and get a good grade

so what did you get at the end?

Quick Reply