The Student Room Group

23, dropped out of uni, looking for career in accounting

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I posted. I'll start off by trying to list all the relevant details and hopefully someone has some good advice and the answers I'm looking for!

- 23 years old
- 2011 Finished A-levels, grades BBB (300 UCAS points) Maths, History, Physics
- 2011–2013 Attended uni studying mechanical engineering. Struggled in my second year, eventually dropped out as I had to take care of my mum who was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis around the same time.
- 2013–now Living at home, worked as a kitchen assistant full time while taking care of my mother (siblings off at uni, dad working 60 hours a week).

Recently things have been better with my dad working less hours and my mum being able to cope better than before despite her condition not significantly improving.

I've been able to do some research and I think accounting would be the way to go for me, possibly through a trainee contract.I have some basic knowledge of accounting from self studying Sage, Xero and a 10 credit financial accounting course during my time at uni. I've improved my skills in excel and can make pivot tables etc.

Getting potential employers to notice me is difficult though. As a 23 y/o drop out with 0 experience and only A-levels my CV is not exactly sparkling. What sort of job should I be looking for and how would I be able to join an accountancy firm for a trainee contract with sponsored AAT and eventual ACA/ACCA training?

Edit: I don't want to go back to uni. I didn't get my HND as I failed my second year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is there a possibility of going freelance? If you get some practice with people you know and then once you are confident you could offer your services to a small business? That's what I'd do anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by The_Last_Melon
Is there a possibility of going freelance? If you get some practice with people you know and then once you are confident you could offer your services to a small business? That's what I'd do anyway.

I haven't really tested my abilities but I'd probably say not for the time being. I've looked on reed/indeed searching for Trainee Accounting jobs but as they are looking for either school leavers or graduates and I am neither, I'm not sure if they are going to auto-reject me.
Original post by implicity
I haven't really tested my abilities but I'd probably say not for the time being. I've looked on reed/indeed searching for Trainee Accounting jobs but as they are looking for either school leavers or graduates and I am neither, I'm not sure if they are going to auto-reject me.

it's time to start moving, making and doing. don't let someone else be the gatekeeper of your life. do it. go. earn it. win.
yup you right if you are good in maths then you must go with the accounting related jobs.
Reply 5
I've met people on our school leaver schemes who've done x, y and z since leaving school. Sounds like you haven't applied to those schemes for some reason? You say they're for school leavers, well you only have school leaving level qualifications...
Hi implicity,

Firstly, I'm glad to hear your home situation is improving!

You could apply for the school leavers schemes with most of the large accountancy firms. They tend to look at each case individually. Perhaps try the ones in the top 20 first (BDO, Grant Thornton, Mazaars, etc) and see how that goes. I'm not 100% sure if it is based on your age or if it is based on your level of education.
Some of the firms recruit through their own website and others recruit through our jobs board site - www.icaewtrainingvacancies.co.uk

Good luck!

Helen

Hi everyone, it's been a long time since I posted. I'll start off by trying to list all the relevant details and hopefully someone has some good advice and the answers I'm looking for!

- 23 years old
- 2011 Finished A-levels, grades ABB (320 UCAS points) Maths, History, Physics
- 2011–2013 Attended uni studying mechanical engineering. Struggled in my second year, eventually dropped out as I had to take care of my mum who was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis around the same time.
- 2013–now Living at home, worked as a kitchen assistant full time while taking care of my mother (siblings off at uni, dad working 60 hours a week).

Recently things have been better with my dad working less hours and my mum being able to cope better than before despite her condition not significantly improving.

I've been able to do some research and I think accounting would be the way to go for me, possibly through a trainee contract.I have some basic knowledge of accounting from self studying Sage, Xero and a 10 credit financial accounting course during my time at uni. I've improved my skills in excel and can make pivot tables etc.

Getting potential employers to notice me is difficult though. As a 23 y/o drop out with 0 experience and only A-levels my CV is not exactly sparkling. What sort of job should I be looking for and how would I be able to join an accountancy firm for a trainee contract with sponsored AAT and eventual ACA/ACCA training?

Edit: I don't want to go back to uni. I didn't get my HND as I failed my second year.
Reply 7
Original post by ICAEW Advisor Helen
Hi implicity,

Firstly, I'm glad to hear your home situation is improving!

You could apply for the school leavers schemes with most of the large accountancy firms. They tend to look at each case individually. Perhaps try the ones in the top 20 first (BDO, Grant Thornton, Mazaars, etc) and see how that goes. I'm not 100% sure if it is based on your age or if it is based on your level of education.
Some of the firms recruit through their own website and others recruit through our jobs board site - www.icaewtrainingvacancies.co.uk

Good luck!

Helen

Thanks Helen, I've applied to about 10-15 smaller firms offering Trainee contracts + paid study at the moment but haven't been contacted yet, Do you know how the selection process works for these smaller firms and how long I should wait for a reply before following up (if necessary?)

The only problem with firms in the top 20 or even top 50 is that these school leavers schemes are for August-September 2016 intake, and I am looking to start immediately or possible January, I'll keep looking on icaew's website for now though.

@Alibee, Thanks for the reply, yes I'm aware I only have school leavers qualifications, I was wondering if having either a big gap in or having a unfinished degree on my CV would reflect badly upon me - At the very least it'd raise questions.

I think if I don't hear from any of the firms I'm currently applying to I'll start to apply to the bigger firms for their school leaver intake as their deadlines aren't until Dec-March.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I wouldn't rule out big 4 either. What's to lose from applying? If you get something to start next September, you can spend the next x months working in Pizza hut or whatever knowing you have something to move on to.

I would definitely make a big 4 application sooner rather than later. While you might be within some deadline, it's all first come first served.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Last night I applied to Mazars (Poole) for 2016 entry into their trainee accounting scheme. It took me a while to fill out their application because they only allow 100 words per section for the 'why do you want to work here/why choose this career path' and there was no where for me to mention the gap between school and now so I filled it into the extenuating circumstances section to better explain my situation.

Got an email this morning saying I have been rejected at their screening stage and therefore cannot apply to them again..
Reply 10
Have you considered an AAT apprenticeship?

https://www.aat.org.uk/accounting-apprenticeships/find-an-apprenticeship

As a qualified AAT with experience you would be in a good position to move onto ACCA

Best of luck
Reply 11
Original post by marple
Have you considered an AAT apprenticeship?

https://www.aat.org.uk/accounting-apprenticeships/find-an-apprenticeship

As a qualified AAT with experience you would be in a good position to move onto ACCA

Best of luck

Thanks for your kind words marple.

I've looked at apprenticeships but I was under the impression that many of the school leaver schemes offer AAT sponsorship while at work (2-3 years) before progressing to ACA/ACCA.

Apprenticeship salary is also extremely poor.. £3.30 an hour/£132 a week isn't going to cut it for me, so I hope you can see why a training contract is my goal for the time being. Having being rejected by 2 mid sized firms already I'm not optimistic about my chances with big 4..

I will take another look at the apprenticeship website when u have the time though, maybe I'll find something that interests me :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by alibee
I wouldn't rule out big 4 either. What's to lose from applying? If you get something to start next September, you can spend the next x months working in Pizza hut or whatever knowing you have something to move on to.

I would definitely make a big 4 application sooner rather than later. While you might be within some deadline, it's all first come first served.

I'm starting to apply but have trouble with these sections, do you have any advice on how to communicate that I dropped out of uni ?

Hi sorry about the delay in my response.
Each company has different selection processes so I'm not sure about their selection processes.
I applied to about 60 roles after I graduated before I got my job, so keep persevering!

Thanks Helen, I've applied to about 10-15 smaller firms offering Trainee contracts + paid study at the moment but haven't been contacted yet, Do you know how the selection process works for these smaller firms and how long I should wait for a reply before following up (if necessary?)

The only problem with firms in the top 20 or even top 50 is that these school leavers schemes are for August-September 2016 intake, and I am looking to start immediately or possible January, I'll keep looking on icaew's website for now though.

@Alibee, Thanks for the reply, yes I'm aware I only have school leavers qualifications, I was wondering if having either a big gap in or having a unfinished degree on my CV would reflect badly upon me - At the very least it'd raise questions.

I think if I don't hear from any of the firms I'm currently applying to I'll start to apply to the bigger firms for their school leaver intake as their deadlines aren't until Dec-March.
I did business and accounting at university and unfortunately got a third due to lots of different personal circumstances extremely close to a 2:2.I wanted to know if i should start or complete the ACCA before applying for accounting jobs because i can’t get on any graduate schemes. I’ve found that the majority of jobs require experience and may be the reason i don’t get shortlisted or past the interview stage. Do you think there would be employers out there willing to hire me if I’ve started or completed the ACCA even though i don’t have experience of working in a similar or the same type of position?Is there anyway i could get experience using software like sage as this is one of the requirements?

You’ll never know until you try.
Reply 16

- 23 years old
- 2011 Finished A-levels, grades BBB (300 UCAS points) Maths, History, Physics

First of all man, don't give up. You'll get a lot of rejections due to your lack of experience and failure to complete uni but there are routes into accounting. I would advise you consistently check investment 20/20, they typically have roles in finance or accounting at times. Keep an eye out. Also check civil service jobs for accounting related apprenticeships and entry level positions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending