The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Accommodation 2016: A guide to what you need to know

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ICL
Hello,

Pls can u explain whether in catered halls there is a set menu everday for breakfast,lunch and dinner or do the menus change?
thx

Hi ICL

There is lots of variety on the catered Halls menus - don't worry, you won't be eating the same thing every day! You can see a basic sample menu here for a typical week, which is worth a look at to give you an idea :smile:

Hope this helps.

Amy
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by jokai
Hi have confirmed Msc and prefer an on campus en suite, but I find that only two postgrad halls offer en suite, john phillips (my 1st preference) and Forest court.
I have some concerns about forest court, please could you comment? How long would it take me to walk from forest court to the ‘village’ area of the uni? I guess the uni shuttle bus would not serve the off campus forest court? More of a concern for me is that forest court, although closer to town, is a secluded & quiet place that nearly empties out during the weekends, so I would miss the vibrant uni-life experience and spend lonely weekends in the hall.The Single studio flat at Harry French would, I guess have the bed room and the kitchen in the same one room, that’s a deal breaker for me, nor am I at all keen on the 2 small room shared flats. Is these any other en suite option?
Thanks
Arushi

Hi Arushi

Forest Court is not far from the campus, probably 5 minutes walk from the East Park side (where the Design School is). It's probably about 15 minutes from the student village. If you need to reach the other side of campus you can walk to the college in about 5 minutes and catch the Sprint Bus from there. Harry French is also just outside the East Park end of campus, very close to the Students' Union.

You may also want to look at private accommodation options such as The Cube (just off-campus towards the engineering side), or The Foundry, Waterways and Asha House in town. Also Kingfisher Halls which are close to Forest Court but marginally nearer to campus.

I've been both an undergrad and postgrad at Loughborough. I didn't get my first choice of accommodation I ended up in a catered hall and sharing a bathroom with about 10 other people on my corridor which I would never have considered before coming to uni. It was a bit of a shock to the system at first but within a few weeks I was completely used to it and wouldn't change it now! I would honestly say that whichever hall you end up choosing, with the number of societies, clubs etc that you can get involved in and the opportunity to meet people on your course you shouldn't have a problem integrating with other students.

I hope this is helpful. Just let us know if you've got any other questions.

We look forward to welcoming you to Loughborough very soon! :smile:

Teresa
I have gained a place on the Loughborough Art and Design Foundation course after receiving my A-Level results today. However I can't apply for accommodation until Monday 22nd august and I can't select a room specifically in a hall I'd like.
I was wondering why this is and if I still have an equal chance of gaining a room in any hall on campus like everyone else?
Also I was wondering how likely it is that I get the accommodation on campus I would like through the preference system?
Any help would be great, thanks.
Original post by tattonduckegg13
I have gained a place on the Loughborough Art and Design Foundation course after receiving my A-Level results today. However I can't apply for accommodation until Monday 22nd august and I can't select a room specifically in a hall I'd like.
I was wondering why this is and if I still have an equal chance of gaining a room in any hall on campus like everyone else?
Also I was wondering how likely it is that I get the accommodation on campus I would like through the preference system?
Any help would be great, thanks.

Hi tattonduckegg13

Great news :biggrin: well done!

You should be able to submit your accommodation preferences on Monday and accommodation will be allocated as available. I'd give the accommodation centre a call for more detail - the number is 01509 274488.

Without further detail on your application and entry into Loughborough I'm afraid I can't provide more info than this, but the student accommodation centre will definitely be able to help :smile:

Amy
Can you please explain the room swapping procedure, as I know I will not be happy in the hall I have been allocated...One of the main attractions to university was the independence of which being able to cook for myself is a huge part. I was on the website at exactly the time stated and all self catered options were already gone which really put a downer on the prospect of going to uni.
Original post by ninseypritch
Can you please explain the room swapping procedure, as I know I will not be happy in the hall I have been allocated...One of the main attractions to university was the independence of which being able to cook for myself is a huge part. I was on the website at exactly the time stated and all self catered options were already gone which really put a downer on the prospect of going to uni.

Hi ninseypritch

If you are really unhappy with the accommodation you've been allocated you need to give the accommodation centre a call and they will be able to discuss alternative options with you - the number is 01509 274488 and they are open until 6.30pm today.

Hope this helps - try not to be too disheartened, whichever hall you live in you will have the most amazing student experience, catered and self-catered alike. If it really is something that's worrying you then definitely call the number above - they will do all they can to help :smile:

Good luck!

Amy
Reply 46
Hi,
I booked my room in May as I deferred my place until this year. I have a contract offer in Bakewell and the application is completed. My question is when will I be able to book an induction and arrival slot on the Accommodation site? Also should I pay my room bond now?

any help would be great, thanks
is anybody on here looking to do accommodation swap on Monday? one of the things i do as a relaxing hobby is cooking and i am pretty devastated that i have been allocated catered accommodation as i wont be able to cook as i would wish. Basically i would be happy with anything self catered, obviously my preferences of accommodation have gone out the window as i cant be picky in this situation. Anyone who can help, please contact me.
BTW i have contacted the accommodation phone line on a number of occasions and they could not help with my situation.
Hi, Loughborough was my insurance choice and is now my confirmed place of attendance for university, due to it being my insurance I did not apply for accommodation. I am trying to register for the Accomodation login however it says I am not eligible to register, have any idea why I can't register?
is anybody on here looking to do accommodation swap on Monday? one of the things i do as a relaxing hobby is cooking and i am pretty devastated that i have been allocated catered accommodation as i wont be able to cook as i would wish. Basically i would be happy with anything self catered, obviously my preferences of accommodation have gone out the window as i cant be picky in this situation. Anyone who can help, please contact me.
BTW i have contacted the accommodation phone line on a number of occasions and they could not help with my situation.

Hey, I'm in the exactly the same position :frown: Currently have catered accommodation and really hoping to swap to self-catered due to financial reasons and it's just something I'd prefer. Have a bad feeling it won't happen though as so many people want to swap, any idea how the swap form actually works?
Original post by LauraJade98
Hey, I'm in the exactly the same position :frown: Currently have catered accommodation and really hoping to swap to self-catered due to financial reasons and it's just something I'd prefer. Have a bad feeling it won't happen though as so many people want to swap, any idea how the swap form actually works?

not sure how it works at all tbh, just that we will be phone called if ghere is a possible swap. i know that loughborough are really good value for money for catered, so unless you are really good at budgeting i would give it some good consideration. that being said though, i completely understand how frustrated you are if you want to be able to cook! - good luck for the swap :smile:
Original post by mkfitz
Hi,
I booked my room in May as I deferred my place until this year. I have a contract offer in Bakewell and the application is completed. My question is when will I be able to book an induction and arrival slot on the Accommodation site? Also should I pay my room bond now?

any help would be great, thanks

Hi mkfitz

Yes, you should be able to pay you room bond now - you can do it here. If you have any issues or you're not sure of anything, give the accommodation centre a call on 01509 274488.

You should receive an email in late August from the Student Accommodation Centre about completing the online induction, so keep an eye out for this - it's also worth checking the accommodation announcements page regularly for updates too.

Hope this helps :smile:
Amy

Original post by LauraJade98

Hi both

Looking on the accommodation announcements page, you can request a room swap from 9am today - take a look here for more information.

I completely appreciate that for some self-catered accommodation is the preference, but please don't be too worried about catered halls - there are lots of positives too. Our dining halls are a great social experience and can even work out as the more cost effective option overall. I'd take a look at the 'why go catered' video on our website - some of our current students share their experiences of living in catered halls and you might find it useful to watch :biggrin:

Hope this helps!

Amy
Reply 53
you need to register it before 31st July

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 54
It's not fair how adjustment/clearing students get last pick
Original post by Pato1
It's not fair how adjustment/clearing students get last pick

its kinda logical, but i agree that the entire accommodation system seems a lot more stressful and unfair compared to other universities
Reply 56
its kinda logical, but i agree that the entire accommodation system seems a lot more stressful and unfair compared to other universities

I cant afford catered and I cook my own food. This is a joke.
Hi All,

Hopefully to alleviate some stress… I am currently studying in my final year and whilst now living in town had the best two years of my life in a Hall I didn’t choose.

To cut a very long story short there were a few things I wanted when applying for accommodation; a self-catered room, an en suite shower and 4 ft bed.

Like many of the comments above I wasn’t able to get any of these and ended up in Faraday (a catered hall), single bed and shared bathroom. In hindsight I am so happy I got put in Faraday and feel a little silly how worried I was before arriving.

A number of my friends & I weren’t assigned to the Halls we originally wanted, each and every one us has had an amazing time. Each Hall has a unique community spirit, events and traditions you will fall in love with as soon as you arrive and would be gutted if you got moved out after a week of being there.

Don’t get me wrong the rooms in Elvyn/Bakewell/Rigg Rut are lovely but that really isn’t what’s going to make your student experience so special!

I know it is hard not to worry when you are entering the unknown but you will absolutely love it when you arrive. My advice would be to find the Hall page on Facebook and start hearing from the committees about exactly what they have planned for your arrival and you’ll soon start to get excited.

Best of luck and I hope you all are excited to join Loughborough in September. I ’ll try and reply to any direct questions if that is helpful.

Cheers,
Henry

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 58
Nice post Henry but the problem for is financially catered is not smart and part of the experience I wanted was to cook for myself.
Reply 59
I'm an insurance student and still haven't got an offer for accommodation:s-smilie:. Anyone else the same?

Quick Reply

Latest