The Student Room Group

going on a break with boyfriend???

We've been together 2 years and I started uni just under a week ago and he started 2 and a half weeks ago. Initially we didn't think we'd be one of those couples that just broke up for uni, but I'm finding it very hard. I feel like I'm missing out on stuff and we barely have time to speak. We've exchanged a few texts in the last few days and that's it! I'm not worried either of us will cheat but I wondered whether a break would be a good idea. Just a few weeks of not worrying about speaking or not feeling guilty if anything happened with another guy. Someone help!!! I do love him but I feel so held back by not being single
Reply 1
Have you not watched 'Friends'?
Reply 2
Original post by daisy1496
We've been together 2 years and I started uni just under a week ago and he started 2 and a half weeks ago. Initially we didn't think we'd be one of those couples that just broke up for uni, but I'm finding it very hard. I feel like I'm missing out on stuff and we barely have time to speak. We've exchanged a few texts in the last few days and that's it! I'm not worried either of us will cheat but I wondered whether a break would be a good idea. Just a few weeks of not worrying about speaking or not feeling guilty if anything happened with another guy. Someone help!!! I do love him but I feel so held back by not being single

If you're thinking of going on a break after just a couple of weeks apart; I can't see it working out.
If you have a break chances are you won't be getting back together. Especially because he'll always be wondering how much cock you've been having while he was away. This will make him jealous which then manifests itself in little arguments, little arguments turn into bigger things, leading to the final breakup. So it will always be.
I don't think it ever really works, relationships aren't just something you can save and come back to, like nothing changed. Sadly the vast majority of couples break up at uni. It is, for a lot of people, just the wrong time to be a relationship. It isn't like a break up means forever, you can always try things again. But usually, a break is just prolonging the inevitable.
Reply 5
Original post by Reue
If you're thinking of going on a break after just a couple of weeks apart; I can't see it working out.

I know it sounds bad I just have such a new life now and everything even though it's not been long I feel as though I've been here months, uni life has taken over my whole life
Reply 6
I know it sounds bad I just have such a new life now and everything even though it's not been long I feel as though I've been here months, uni life has taken over my whole life

You don't need to justify it to me! Sounds like you've already made up your mind.
Reply 7
Original post by Mankytoes
I don't think it ever really works, relationships aren't just something you can save and come back to

I've had it work in the past. Just needed some time apart to focus on other things and review the relationship.
Original post by Tabstercat
If you have a break chances are you won't be getting back together. Especially because he'll always be wondering how much cock you've been having while he was away. This will make him jealous which then manifests itself in little arguments, little arguments turn into bigger things, leading to the final breakup. So it will always be.

True, and vice versa, do you really not mind the idea of him shagging a load of random girls while on this break? If not, maybe you'd be suited to an open relationship.

Original post by Reue
I've had it work in the past. Just needed some time apart to focus on other things and review the relationship.

Are you still with the person?
I would dump you for even suggesting it.

100% serious.
Reply 10
Are you still with the person?

Yup
Reply 11
Well it's something we discussed as a possibility before uni sooo
Original post by BestBehaviour
I would dump you for even suggesting it.

100% serious.
Well it's something we discussed as a possibility before uni sooo

People do not understand love, if you want to get ****ed by other guys you do not love your bf

If he doesn't have the balls to cut you off, do him a favour and cut him off.
Reply 13
Original post by Reue
Yup

That's actually really good to hear. May I ask for a brief description of what happened?
Reply 14
I don't think it ever really works, relationships aren't just something you can save and come back to, like nothing changed. Sadly the vast majority of couples break up at uni. It is, for a lot of people, just the wrong time to be a relationship. It isn't like a break up means forever, you can always try things again. But usually, a break is just prolonging the inevitable.

yeah ngl I am worried which is why i asked on here. I'm kinda seeing it as a better solution to having problems than just breaking up full stop
Reply 15
That's actually really good to hear. May I ask for a brief description of what happened?

We were just getting a bit of cabin fever together, arguing over small things and generally tripping over each-other in our tiny flat together. I moved out to get some space and spend some time with our shared friendship group alone.

It was a totally different situation to this though, there was never any suggestion of 'missing out' on things by being in a relationship.
Original post by Reue
We were just getting a bit of cabin fever together, arguing over small things and generally tripping over each-other in our tiny flat together. I moved out to get some space and spend some time with our shared friendship group alone.

It was a totally different situation to this though, there was never any suggestion of 'missing out' on things by being in a relationship.

Were the two of you free to get with other people though? That's what I understand as a break, not just spending some time apart.

yeah ngl I am worried which is why i asked on here. I'm kinda seeing it as a better solution to having problems than just breaking up full stop

I had a friend come to me with the same thing, she was thinking about breaking up, but maybe thought she'd just go on a break. I asked her "what is going to change in the time you're on a break", and she agreed it was best just to end it.
Reply 17
Were the two of you free to get with other people though? That's what I understand as a break, not just spending some time apart.

I guess, if we had wanted to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending