The Student Room Group

Really not being able to accept Uni!

Hi,

This is my second attempt at university and was so excited to get here and cracking cause I've seen so many of my friends have the most interesting and incredible times as they are all a year ahead of me. Having dropped out of Bath because I realised very quickly that I didn't like any part of it, I chose Journalism at Sheffield as they said it would be a very practical degree; I've always been interested in it but I also realise it would have academia naturally but it would be mostly practical work.

Having really found it hard with homesickness to even want to stay here for any period of time, I'm finding it hard to engage with any form of work that is ahead of me - I've had so much support from family and friends with ideas and tips of things I could be doing. I can't help but find it really weird being in any form of education after having a gap year which I didn't really enjoy all that much and I cannot motivate myself to do anything. I don't feel like I hate the place or even the course this time round and I think it would be so wrong to go and drop out at this stage - mainly because I really want the outcome which is the degree!

I'm am scared that the idea sounded a lot better than the reality and I don't really know where to go from here - I don't really want to be here as I type, but I really want to be enjoying it like I've wanted to for the past year or so!

I don't have seminars for two of my modules and have a reading list for each of them as long as my arm, i feel like I don't know where to start but more worryingly lack the motivation to find out - this is on top of all the struggles of moving out and having to do all the social aspects too!

If someone out there has been in a similar situation and resolved it, it would be amazing to hear from you but any advice would be valued so much!
Original post by bantona96
I feel like I don't know where to start but more worryingly lack the motivation to find out - !

Go and see your Personal Tutor. Phone/email him or her or just go and knock on their door. This is exactly the sort of issue they are there to deal with, and they will know how to help.

What you are feeling is very common - a bit overwhelmed, and a bit low now that the initial excitement of Freshers etc has worn off.

Thinking about how much work you feel you have got to do will just make you feel more panicky, so pick one task - reading for your next class or whatever seems more straightforward than anything else. Do this. Read the required stuff (you don't need to read everything on the list - usually just a couple a texts - check with your tutor), write the notes and put it away. Put those books to one side. Do the next thing. Don't try and work on everything at once - you will just get confused and increase your sense of 'I can't do all this'.

Go and see your personal tutor - that is the first step. Then come back here and tell us how you are getting on.

Quick Reply

Latest