The Student Room Group

Would you buy a used car?

Would you? :smile: Do you think buying a first hand is a waste of money?

Scroll to see replies

I have, and would happily do so again. If your budget allows you to purchase something brand new, then it doesn't have to be a waste of money. All depends on your budget and your needs.
I already have.
Reply 3
Obviously. Brand new cars are literally the worst investment.
Reply 4
All the cars I have ever had have been secondhand and they have all been good. I doubt I would ever buy a car brand new tbh.
Reply 5
Original post by Thickfreakness
I have, and would happily do so again. If your budget allows you to purchase something brand new, then it doesn't have to be a waste of money. All depends on your budget and your needs.

Original post by pmprin

Original post by Spock's Socks
All the cars I have ever had have been secondhand and they have all been good. I doubt I would ever buy a car brand new tbh.

Based on your experience with buying used cars, what/how would you consider a used car that's definitely a good bargain/can be considered for purchase?
Mine is something like 4th hand and it drives beautifully, I love it
Reply 7
How long have you been driving the car? Did you experience any technical failures?
Buying a car brand new is pointless, they lose value from the moment you get in them, and around 15% of their value by the end of the year 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes but max 3 years old and 50k mileage.
Reply 10
Original post by pmprin

Original post by chidchilli
Buying a car brand new is pointless, they lose value from the moment you get in them, and around 15% of their value by the end of the year 1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that doesn't stop people from buying them :eek:
yes definetly (although i plan to get a horse instead in the future but let's ignore the technicalities) :h:
second hand cars work fine and are a lot cheaper. also new cars are a bad investment as all those GCSE maths questions usually involved a car or van depreciating in value very quickly :s-smilie:
Yes!!!
I want a BMW E30 as my first car :sogood:
Original post by kka25
Based on your experience with buying used cars, what/how would you consider a used car that's definitely a good bargain/can be considered for purchase?

I'm a n00b, I've only had one one car. In my experience, I'd say you should make sure you're not getting ripped off when you're buying old cars with very high mileage. For example, a 15 year old car that's done 90k miles shouldn't cost you a grand, otherwise you're getting well ripped off.

It's very important to test drive the car. Demand to test drive it for as long as possible, even if it's for an hour or two. Offer to pay for the petrol of course. If it feels smooth and sounds okay, then you're probably alright. If it's making dodgy noises, if it's not accelerating properly, if the gearbox feels dodgy, then maybe you should reconsider. The test drive is going to be extremely important, take as much time as you need to take the car through its paces. But even a proper test drive won't always reveal faults or defects, so there's that to think about.

It depends on whether you're buying from a trusted, well established dealer or from private sellers. You don't want to spend a grand only then to discover a major fault in the car and find yourself unable to refund it for whatever reason.

In the end, it depends on your luck. Luckily, the car I use has been completely reliable. The mistake I made was rushing to buy the first car that seemed to fit my criteria. It's important to research the market and know what's out there, compare prices and make sure you're not getting ripped off especially when it comes to buying cheap popular models, especially old models and ones with very high mileage like I said earlier.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about cars, this is just from my very limited experience with a single car.
I would only buy a used car. Buying a new one is just money out the window. same with phones, no point in buying a new one. actually, there are tons of things where there is no point buying a new one because the second hand is just as good
Reply 15
Would I buy a used car?

For most of us that isn't a question, it's the only option....

And yes, brand new cars are a waste of money.
Original post by kka25
Would you? :smile:

Not a car but a motorbike - definitely. Already found a few second-hand sports bikes for under 750 quid, amazing deal.
I obviously would buy a second-hand car. You can get ones that have been used for around 6 months much cheaper than getting a brand new car.
Original post by Thickfreakness
I'm a n00b, I've only had one one car. In my experience, I'd say you should make sure you're not getting ripped off when you're buying old cars with very high mileage. For example, a 15 year old car that's done 90k miles shouldn't cost you a grand, otherwise you're getting well ripped off.

Mileage doesn't matter that much especially at the low end of the market. I bought a car with ~50k miles on it and some service history for like £500 when I didn't know what I was doing and it was a piece of **** that would have failed its MOT if the guy selling wasn't sketchy. The next car I bought was £1000 with 100k miles but in much better condition, I have spent some money maintaining it but I'll have had it for two years next month, put 25k miles on it and had no problems to speak of.

To be honest dealers are not going to be in the habit of giving refunds on £1000 cars with problems, because of course a £1000 car is going to have problems. It's just a matter of luck what the problems are.
Brand new cars are extortionately expensive, I understand that buying a used car means it might have problems further down the line from use but I think they have character :rofl: nah seriously new cars aren't worth the money, the second you drive it out of the showroom it loses its worth!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending