The Student Room Group

What do I do about my ex

My ex and I broke over the summer but we're still great friends and talk everyday. I even go to his house from time to time.

During our relationship, one of the reasons why we broke up from my perspective was because there was this "other girl". He's always denied the fact that he didn't like her etc but he has admitted that ever since we broke up their 'friendship' became a lot more sexual.

Yesterday, he seemed a bit down so I asked him what was up. He said that he needed advice on this "other girl". I didn't mind at first but he then revealed that he really liked her and wanted to pursue a relationship but he can't with her because she's currently homeless and stays far away etc idk the deets. This made me really really sad and depressed and honest to God I just want to kill myself. I guess I still love my ex. Days earlier we had just been talking about our relationship and what went wrong etc I thought we may be rekindling things, he seems to still like me. I've really had to cut it short here, it may not seem like much but I'm really affected.

What do I do :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
My ex and I broke over the summer but we're still great friends and talk everyday. I even go to his house from time to time.

During our relationship, one of the reasons why we broke up from my perspective was because there was this "other girl". He's always denied the fact that he didn't like her etc but he has admitted that ever since we broke up their 'friendship' became a lot more sexual.

Yesterday, he seemed a bit down so I asked him what was up. He said that he needed advice on this "other girl". I didn't mind at first but he then revealed that he really liked her and wanted to pursue a relationship but he can't with her because she's currently homeless and stays far away etc idk the deets. This made me really really sad and depressed and honest to God I just want to kill myself. I guess I still love my ex. Days earlier we had just been talking about our relationship and what went wrong etc I thought we may be rekindling things, he seems to still like me. I've really had to cut it short here, it may not seem like much but I'm really affected.

What do I do :frown:

Cut off contact with him and give yourself time to get over him.
Reply 2
^ It's painful but there is no quick fix. Just take solace in knowing where you stand.
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
Cut off contact with him and give yourself time to get over him.

I've tried this but then he complains that I hardly talk to him anymore. He says he still wants to do stuff together. Which is what makes me think that he still has feelings. But thank you

Original post by A5ko
^ It's painful but there is no quick fix. Just take solace in knowing where you stand.

Thank you
Reply 4
He wants the best of both worlds. He is playing you like a fiddle and you should find yourself another bf, you will then know his true feelings towards you.
I've tried this but then he complains that I hardly talk to him anymore. He says he still wants to do stuff together. Which is what makes me think that he still has feelings. But thank you

Thank you

Then if you're going to stop talking to him, you could explain that it's unhealthy for one person to want more in a friendship when the other feels that way about someone else. From yesterday you know that he's interested in someone else so I'm not too sure if he still has feelings for you. Maybe he does, deep down.

Take it from me - if you're hanging around for his sake and not yours your situation isn't going to get better and your feelings won't go away. You have to put your foot down, put yourself first and block all forms of contact with him.
Reply 6
Original post by Digots
He wants the best of both worlds. He is playing you like a fiddle and you should find yourself another bf, you will then know his true feelings towards you.

Well yes I can understand that because I've had those thoughts too. We both use TSR, and he may see this and realise it's about him which idm. I have a lot of VMs from guys on my wall some of which can be flirtatious. Sometimes he asks "is so and so you talk to all the time hotter than me?" Or "Do you like him?" If he didn't like me why would he care? But I suppose, I'm just a toy :frown:

Original post by SeanFM
Then if you're going to stop talking to him, you could explain that it's unhealthy for one person to want more in a friendship when the other feels that way about someone else. From yesterday you know that he's interested in someone else so I'm not too sure if he still has feelings for you. Maybe he does, deep down.

Take it from me - if you're hanging around for his sake and not yours your situation isn't going to get better and your feelings won't go away. You have to put your foot down, put yourself first and block all forms of contact with him.

When I say stuff like that he always makes me feel stupid in what eventually turns into an argument. Like I'm the one who has done him so wrong. It just hurts that the girl I've always had a bad feeling about is the one that has ruined the relationship, he's always defending her.

Thank you so much Sean, really. This is so hard.

When I say stuff like that he always makes me feel stupid in what eventually turns into an argument. Like I'm the one who has done him so wrong. It just hurts that the girl I've always had a bad feeling about is the one that has ruined the relationship, he's always defending her.

Thank you so much Sean, really. This is so hard.

:console:

You could just walk away from it all, block him and be done with it.

I can't pretend to know exactly how you feel but I do know that breakups are tough and it does get easier and easier given time, provided the person is out of your life.
I think he is using you to boost his self esteem, so that he knows he's still got a hold on your feelings.
You want him. He wants someone else (maybe he still wants you too, but he also wants someone else). You can either allow yourself to be dragged through more pain and suffering, or you can do the right thing and remove yourself from his life and move on. One of the hardest things to do, but it seems like he's left you with no other option. People come and go, nothing lasts. At least you had something decent once upon a time, now it's time to move on and continue on your journey. Your life doesn't stop simply because someone decides that he doesn't want you, plenty more men out there.
Original post by SeanFM
:console:

You could just walk away from it all, block him and be done with it.

I can't pretend to know exactly how you feel but I do know that breakups are tough and it does get easier and easier given time, provided the person is out of your life.

:hugs:

Original post by STARRS
I think he is using you to boost his self esteem, so that he knows he's still got a hold on your feelings.

Original post by Thickfreakness
You want him. He wants someone else (maybe he still wants you too, but he also wants someone else). You can either allow yourself to be dragged through more pain and suffering, or you can do the right thing and remove yourself from his life and move on. One of the hardest things to do, but it seems like he's left you with no other option. People come and go, nothing lasts. At least you had something decent once upon a time, now it's time to move on and continue on your journey. Your life doesn't stop simply because someone decides that he doesn't want you, plenty more men out there.

Everytime I'm with him he makes me feel so special though :frown: honestly today has probably been the worst day of my life. And I can he's really sad because of this other girl. Guess I need to accept that I'm second choice.
I know it's hard to take our advice in right now, but you need to take some time out from this. Just remember, the pain you experience right now is temporary and will fade. Love is but one of the nuances of life, and you will have the rest of your life to get over this situation and find someone perfect- who will make you feel in love again.
He's just confirmed that he loves her. Thanks for the help guys. I don't want to live anymore, I know what to do. Thanks again for the advice.
He's just confirmed that he loves her. Thanks for the help guys. I don't want to live anymore, I know what to do. Thanks again for the advice.

It may seem like it's the end of the world now and there'll be no one like him. I cried for a good few days a while after my first breakup* and wanted to do nothing but sleep. But speaking from the other side, it will get better and you'd be surprised at the kind of people who are out there. But it does hurt now, I know. :console:

*This was when we tried to be good friends, I still hung on for a bit and she wanted to get back for a period of time and it was messy. She changed her mind and that's when I felt really down, but it turned out to be a good thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
It is no longer alive, he is just using you yet you get no benefit of a relationship now. It is not right for him to ask you advice for his new squeeze.

My advice is to cut off contact and let yourself get over it. Let some years pass, find a new relationship, then perhaps you can be friends. But now it is too raw, esp after what you said.
Sorry but you need to break free of this guy, he is bringing you down, problem with being friends with ex's afterwards is these kind of situations happen, sometimes it is best just to let it go.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending