The Student Room Group

I feel no chemistry in new relationship and miss what i had with my ex

Me and my ex broke up and were together for 6 months. We were really close, he knew how to banter, make me feel loved and special but he had high expectations in the relationship and he is quite traditional. Also his family had a lot of problems and he is the youngest so he wanted everything to be perfect and when he found out I had adhd, he got scared about committing ect so in the end it turned out to be a mutual breakup.

This new guy I'm getting to know is a really nice guy, very quite, shy ect. He has only been in one relationship before but his ex cheated on him so he left her and was really badly hurt. I feel like when we have a conversation, it gets nowhere and he ends it with close ended answers...its sometimes frustrating to keep initiating the convo. It can also get repetitive. He doesn't know how to sweet talk or anything like my ex used to do which is making me miss what I shared with my ex but not necessary my ex. This guy im getting to know has some mental health problems but its all under control with meds. I don't know how I really feel about him...he is quite cold with me and doesn't talk much but he is probably the most harmless guy and I know he will never hurt me.
What higher expectations did your ex have compared o the new guy?
Reply 2
Original post by tootles44
What higher expectations did your ex have compared o the new guy?

This new guy is chilled and much more laid back. He accepts me for who I am whereas my ex didn't. My ex wanted me to talk/text all the time, he didn't even care if I had exams and made me almost have a nervous breakdown as a result. He wanted me to be his trophy girl, also be able to cook and clean the house ect..without considering helping me at all. He basically wanted me as a maid. He wanted me to live in his home with the family. He nags too much about really petty things and was overly paranoid and sensitive. However he had another side to him, he knows how to sweep a girl off her feet.
Original post by Anonymous
This new guy is chilled and much more laid back. He accepts me for who I am whereas my ex didn't. My ex wanted me to talk/text all the time, he didn't even care if I had exams and made me almost have a nervous breakdown as a result. He wanted me to be his trophy girl, also be able to cook and clean the house ect..without considering helping me at all. He basically wanted me as a maid. He wanted me to live in his home with the family. He nags too much about really petty things and was overly paranoid and sensitive. However he had another side to him, he knows how to sweep a girl off her feet.

How old are you guys?
Reply 4
Original post by tootles44
How old are you guys?

I'm 21, the new guy is turning 25 and ex is 29 years old.
What do you want to do?

Are you in a rebound relationship with this new guy? I'm not sure if you'd even consider yourself to be in a relationship with this new guy. Anyway, rebound relationships can be dangerous because you risk hurting this new guy. If you've still got a soft spot for the previous guy, if you still have feelings for him, then you should think very carefully about how to proceed. You probably feel like you're forcing this situation to turn into a relationship, but you clearly realise that this new guy simply doesn't cut it - it's not his fault, the poor guy. Be honest with him, tell him that this thing isn't going anywhere and you're not feeling it.

You obviously miss your ex and you probably find yourself wishing you still had him. But correct me if I'm wrong, I'm making some bold assumptions here.
No chemistry? No boyfriend.

Why can't it be that simple? Life is too short for crappy relationships. You're so young (prime of your life!) and there are so many amazing potential relationships out there for you. Seems to be a recurring pattern on this forum of people stuck in relationships they're non-plussed about. Is it perhaps a fear of being alone? No offence by the way I'm not implying anything, I just find this stuff interesting as it's so different to my experience of life.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Are you that desperate to be with someone you choose to date someone that does not even have chemistry with you?
Original post by Anonymous
Me and my ex broke up and were together for 6 months. We were really close, he knew how to banter, make me feel loved and special but he had high expectations in the relationship and he is quite traditional. Also his family had a lot of problems and he is the youngest so he wanted everything to be perfect and when he found out I had adhd, he got scared about committing ect so in the end it turned out to be a mutual breakup.

This new guy I'm getting to know is a really nice guy, very quite, shy ect. He has only been in one relationship before but his ex cheated on him so he left her and was really badly hurt. I feel like when we have a conversation, it gets nowhere and he ends it with close ended answers...its sometimes frustrating to keep initiating the convo. It can also get repetitive. He doesn't know how to sweet talk or anything like my ex used to do which is making me miss what I shared with my ex but not necessary my ex. This guy im getting to know has some mental health problems but its all under control with meds. I don't know how I really feel about him...he is quite cold with me and doesn't talk much but he is probably the most harmless guy and I know he will never hurt me.

I think you need to be honest and let this guy go, you are clearly not happy in this relationship, but I wouldn't run back to your ex. I think you need some time single rather than going from one relationship to another, it's not a bad thing being single.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending