The Student Room Group

Is it appropriate to make female friend whilst having a girlfriend?

All this week I've been going out for freshers with my group of friends and my girlfriend. Most of my friends in my friendship are girls that i've met before meeting my girlfriend so she doesn't have a problem with it.

2 nights a go I went to a UV rave party at one of the local student freshers nights. I was waiting for my girlfriend at the bar while she got her face painted. I was just standing buying a drink when a girl came over and said hello to me, she was young 18 and very shy, she explained to me that its her first night up here and struggling to make friends so I just got talking to her friendly, said she could hang out with me in future.

I find it much easier to speak to girls and be friends with anyone regardless without any intent of anything beyond that. She added me on facebook and talking to me yesterday say she wants to meet up. I explained to her I have a girlfriend

What i'm worried about is how i'm going to tell my girlfriend that I'm meeting up with her. I don't know how she would take it. don't want to think i'm cheating.

do you think its okay? give me advice please
Everyone can have friends of all sexes :h:

How about introducing this girl to your girlfriend? Then there's no secrecy and nothing for anyone to be suspicious about :thumbsup:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
All this week I've been going out for freshers with my group of friends and my girlfriend. Most of my friends in my friendship are girls that i've met before meeting my girlfriend so she doesn't have a problem with it.

2 nights a go I went to a UV rave party at one of the local student freshers nights. I was waiting for my girlfriend at the bar while she got her face painted. I was just standing buying a drink when a girl came over and said hello to me, she was young 18 and very shy, she explained to me that its her first night up here and struggling to make friends so I just got talking to her friendly, said she could hang out with me in future.

I find it much easier to speak to girls and be friends with anyone regardless without any intent of anything beyond that. She added me on facebook and talking to me yesterday say she wants to meet up. I explained to her I have a girlfriend

What i'm worried about is how i'm going to tell my girlfriend that I'm meeting up with her. I don't know how she would take it. don't want to think i'm cheating.

It is alright for you to have female friends but make sure that girl knows you are taken so she wont try anything. And also tell your girlfriend so she wont assume anything.
Talk to your girlfriend. Personally I wouldn't be happy with my boyfriend actively meeting up with girls alone. I'm not crazy possessive, if he's in the office and someone wanders out to lunch with him cos they're going to the same place I don't have a problem, if he's out with a group and there's girls I don't have a problem etc but I'd be uncomfortable with him going out or hanging out alone with a girl. Why not ask this girl to hang out with your friends?
yes, as long as you don't touch her bed and she doesn't touch yours.
RELAX! It's okay to have girl friends. But you should be upfront with your girlfriend. If you attempt to hide it, because you think your gf will think the worse, if she ever does find out then it will blow up in your face. Same thing happened to my friend when he texted a girl asking for the homework then deleted the whole conversation for no reason - they almost broke up...
Scum. No such thing as female friends when you're a man. He'll eventually perv you.
No. People of different genders can't be friends. Can't be done.

On a serious note, just tell your girlfriend you're meeting up with a new friend, and mention she's a girl. If she's got an issue with it, that's unfortunate really and personally I think the way people get suspicious about having friends of other genders is ridiculous, but then again I don't date so what do I know? You've already told this new friend that you've got a girlfriend, it is, strangely enough, actually possible to have friends who are girls if you're a person who's attracted to girls. If you get on, why not invite her to some group thing with some other friends and let her meet your girlfriend? I mean refusing to let them meet and keeping it a secret would look suspicious even if there's nothing to be suspicious about, it's the fact that you'd be hiding it that would be the problem.
Original post by Ekemini
It is alright for you to have female friends but make sure that girl knows you are taken so she wont try anything. And also tell your girlfriend so she wont assume anything.

This is sensible. I've got male friends and I remember being told by a few "she knows we're meeting up" and my response was that I'd rather you told her we were meeting up rather than lying about it. Predictably, (because some people are just childish!) someone did make a silly comment about us meeting up. But it's one of those things we just laughed off.
Original post by Anonymous

then don't just meet up with this new girl on your own, tell your girlfriend a girl befriended u at the club and asked to hang out some time and that u told her u had a girlfriend, and ask your girlfriend to come along with you and meet this girl together that this girl wants to make new friends, if that's all this girl is after then she wont have a problem with your girlfriend coming along too,, but what ever u do don't try hide it or let on u don't be talking to or messaging said girl when u actually are as that will make u look like u got something to hide. and if u are found out in a lie then u are gonna have a lot of questions to answer to why u were hiding it. if this particular female friend is only a new friend then why do u already feel worried about what your girlfriend will think if u already have other female friends who your girlfriend has no problem with? ,,, why are u worried about this girl????
This is probably the only good advice you'll get if your girlfriend has a problem with u making friends she is not fit to be your girlfriend but I hope she is and I hope u have a nice future u can message me for more good advice cya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending