The Student Room Group

Grades too low?

Hello,

I want to apply to study occupational therapy in 2016. I already have A level BBC in Drama, Sociology and Psychology.
However the unis I'm interested in want BBB.. Two of my psychology modules were B grades but unfortunately I got a C in another module and D in schizophrenia which gave me a C overall. I'm taking an online course in Caring with someone with schizophrenia to improve my knowledge on that area.

I have the GCSE grades required and I also have voluntary experience with disabled and special needs children, in care homes and will be shadowing an OT soon.

I've heard they sometimes make exceptions for mature students and I will be 23 when the course starts.

Do I have a chance of getting in or will I be instantly rejected for my grades being too low?

Any advice from mature students who were in similar positions or anyone studying occupational therapy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Original post by NicoleP44
Hello,

I want to apply to study occupational therapy in 2016. I already have A level BBC in Drama, Sociology and Psychology.
However the unis I'm interested in want BBB.. Two of my psychology modules were B grades but unfortunately I got a C in another module and D in schizophrenia which gave me a C overall. I'm taking an online course in Caring with someone with schizophrenia to improve my knowledge on that area.

I have the GCSE grades required and I also have voluntary experience with disabled and special needs children, in care homes and will be shadowing an OT soon.

I've heard they sometimes make exceptions for mature students and I will be 23 when the course starts.

Do I have a chance of getting in or will I be instantly rejected for my grades being too low?

Any advice from mature students who were in similar positions or anyone studying occupational therapy would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

You'd be better to email the admissions department for the course you want to do. As it's often decided on a case-by-case basis nobody here will be able to give you a definitive answer.
I would say that since you already have your A level grades and while you're a mature student you didn't sit them 25 years ago and have masses of life experience so the chances are they wont change their offer for you. You might be able to get a place in clearing where the asking grades are lower.
Hello,

Thank you!

At 23 its unlikely the university will waive the entry requirements. You might be able to get in with BBC if your personal statement is good and reflects well on the experience you gained, however you need to find other choices which ask for the grades you have.
Definitely try and apply. A lot of the time, aslong as the courses arent funded by companies such as the NHS, they will take you on with life experience over the academic quals. Sounds like you have a lot of experience so go for it 😊
Reply 5
Hello,

Thank you!

Mature student entry is decided on a case-by-case basis, so there's no way to know unless you ask the uni(s) you're considering. Admissions Offices are happy to answer this sort of question from prospective applicants. Entry requirements aren't the same as those advertised for school leavers.

The good news is that with five year old A Levels, your grades are not likely to be that relevant (apart from Maths and English GCSE at grade C or above, which are pretty much non-negotiable these days). Unis want proof of recent successful study from those who have been out of education for a few years.

The bad news is that you will probably be asked to do a one year Access to Higher Education course to give you that proof. The uni will give you a conditional offer based on your predicated Access grades.

But all of this is just hypothetical. To get the facts for your individual situation, ask a uni or two.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending