The Student Room Group

What topics in maths would I need to study to help with Biology?

Which areas in mathematics would it be useful for a biologist to study?
The only one I know do far is differential equations.
Reply 1
Original post by Kadak

At what level? GCSE? A-Level?
Statistics is important for Biology I believe.
Original post by Neuth
At what level? GCSE? A-Level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Alevel but I'm ready thinking what kind of maths will be needed uni wise.
Reply 4
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Alevel but I'm ready thinking what kind of maths will be needed uni wise.

Some basic stats would come in useful - I suspect a biology degree will teach you what you need to know, but there's no harm in getting to grips with basic descriptive stats, normal distribution, and even the basics of hypothesis tests.

Also I'd suggest learning about logarithms and exponentials if you're not familiar with the principles.
Reply 5
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm a third year so hopefully I can offer some advice :smile:

logs are a definite- particularly if you're working with microbes, trig, straight line graphs, rearranging equations, basic calculus, equations from co-ordinates, algebra and fractions, exponentials and polynomial graphs. Then basic chemistry calculations like molarity and dilutions

In terms of stats- you'll be taught how to use programmes such as SPSS and how to interpret regression and correlation analysis, T- tests, ANOVA and non parametric tests :smile:

Hope that's been of some help
Original post by Kadak

Hi you need to have a firm grasp of:
a) 3D objects theory e.g. Poiusseille's (spelling) equation to work out flow rates in blood vessels (blood), intestine (chyle), etc
b) your units in nanograms, picograms, femtograms to understand blood levels of chemicals e.g. normal K+ level in mmoles/l.
OR: thickness of unit membrane = 7nm.
C) If you decide to do a pharmacology or physiology module: simple first order equations for pharmacokinetics.

Mostly you only need very simple maths.

Quick Reply

Latest