The Student Room Group

University flat 'under investigation' for not having a TV license?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
To my knowledge, TV licence is funding for BBC... If you don't watch BBC you don't need to pay for TV licence, simple as☺️
It's intimidation.

1. They have no way of telling whether you are watching live TV or not

2. Watching TV online without a licence is legal provided it is after the shows have aired

3. They are not police officers and you are under no legal obligation to allow them to enter your flat without a warrant

Their so called methods of detecting people who don't pay are in fact a register of addresses who have paid and they send those letters to addresses not the on list. If you want to get tough, send an email requesting they cease from sending you such letters in future and should they not comply, they themselves are committing an offence, albeit a very minor one.
Reply 22
Original post by girl_
To my knowledge, TV licence is funding for BBC... If you don't watch BBC you don't need to pay for TV licence, simple as☺️

No that's definitely not true. Any live tv (including Sky, or ITV or US tv (Fox), etc etc) is covered.
Original post by Celebi899
My mum wrote to the licensing place ages ago saying how it was corrupt and stuff like that, she sounded like a crazy person. But anyway it worked and she never got a letter for 5/6 years untill she was caught out by the man who "sometimes" checks houses and as she was opening the door the tv was blaring and clearly on 😂 then she was just made to pay for the license that week 😂

Maybe you could try a strongly worded letter 😂😆

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is how most people get caught, either they come round and the TV is on and you can hear/see it through the window, or people's neighbour's report them after an argument.

There is no magic van which detects what you are doing or any of that scaremongering BS.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by girl_

Nope, any form of mains powered live TV needs a TV license, not just watching the BBC. So if you've just got BT Sport and stream that on a tower PC then you need a license.
Original post by jneill
Then you need a licence. You have to be very clear on this - if you watch it at all you face prosecution. It's a scare tactic but, unfortunately, you will fall foul of it if you do watch any live tv by any means.

Bottomline: if you all agree not to watch live TV and abide by it then you're ok... if you don't you need a license asap.

You ignore their letters and don't let them in the house if they come round. Film them through the window as well and put it on youtube as well to really piss them off.

I wouldn't pay it if I was a billionaire.
You have to have in some way acknowledged to them directly e.g. when they come knocking on your door that you have and watch live tv. This is why when you get prosecuted, they have a written basis of evidence (which they will send you a copy of), otherwise they have absolutely no basis and can do not a thing.
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
You really think they are actually prosecuting you? The government can't even track down paedphiles do you really think they put that much funding into student's TV licenses. If you're not watching TV you don't have to have one. They just use scare tactics to fleece money off gullible kids.

That's probably true, but remember that the tendency is to go for soft targets. Armed home invaders aren't soft (generally), but uni students prob are.

You're at uni and you've got TIME to watch telly??? Diff from my uni!! Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest