The Student Room Group

Is Taking 5 A-Levels Too Much?

I'm in year eleven at the moment and need to start thinking about my A-level subjects. I think the main problem is that I'm interested in a lot of things. The subjects that I want to take are: English Literature, History, Maths, Production Arts (btec) and Photography.

I'm considering English and Photography because I might want to take a degree in English and maybe lead onto editing/journalism, which Photography can help with. Then with history, it's a humanities subject, so goes well with English, and I'd love a career in history and might want a degree in that. Maths also goes well with English and I'm interested in accountancy. Production Arts can lead to backstage work and I'm interested in script-writing (linking to English again) or backstage work in theatre. It's a btec and I'm pretty good at coursework.
I'm also on my way to getting mostly A's and A*'s for my GCSEs.

Do you think five a levels will be too much? I can normally take heavy workloads alright, but from your experiences, what do you think?

Just to recap:
English Literature
History
Maths
Photography
Production Arts
Original post by SelWillow
I'm in year eleven at the moment and need to start thinking about my A-level subjects. I think the main problem is that I'm interested in a lot of things. The subjects that I want to take are: English Literature, History, Maths, Production Arts (btec) and Photography.

I'm considering English and Photography because I might want to take a degree in English and maybe lead onto editing/journalism, which Photography can help with. Then with history, it's a humanities subject, so goes well with English, and I'd love a career in history and might want a degree in that. Maths also goes well with English and I'm interested in accountancy. Production Arts can lead to backstage work and I'm interested in script-writing (linking to English again) or backstage work in theatre. It's a btec and I'm pretty good at coursework.
I'm also on my way to getting mostly A's and A*'s for my GCSEs.

Do you think five a levels will be too much? I can normally take heavy workloads alright, but from your experiences, what do you think?

Just to recap:
English Literature
History
Maths
Photography
Production Arts

Whilst you're trying to keep your options open for the future, having one subject linked to each job/degree you have in mind can be very damaging when you apply for university and apply for a course that may require subjects you haven't taken/considered.

5 A Levels is perfectly manageable but make sure you're only putting yourself through that stress for valid reasons and for worthwhile qualifications. First take a look at the universities/courses you may consider applying for and look at what subjects they specify. If I were you, I wouldn't take the Production Arts BTEC, it may not look particularly strong on an application and may retract time to study from your more important subjects. I don't think Photography is particularly needed for a degree in journalism, you could just do photography in your spare time?

Quick Reply

Latest