The Student Room Group

university help

Hi thereI am a mature student and I am from America. I was looking in to attending university next year; however I have learning disabilities, which I would want to take under advisement when choosing a university. Being from America, I do not know anyone from the U.K. and calling University’s is all well and good, but I am more interested in what people who live in the U.K. actually think. So I was wondering if anyone has time, they could possibly recommend a University with a good learning support service. Also, I am interested in studying psychology. Thank-you in advance for your help
Original post by Serendipity121
Hi thereI am a mature student and I am from America. I was looking in to attending university next year; however I have learning disabilities, which I would want to take under advisement when choosing a university. Being from America, I do not know anyone from the U.K. and calling University’s is all well and good, but I am more interested in what people who live in the U.K. actually think. So I was wondering if anyone has time, they could possibly recommend a University with a good learning support service. Also, I am interested in studying psychology. Thank-you in advance for your help

Most universities should have a decent learning support service which can offer various support, however being an international student you wont be eligible for the DSA grants which are normally used to pay for human support and equipment so you could be a little restricted as to what you d be able to access, depending on how much money that university has available to be able to help you.
I would call up the universities you are specifically interested in and ask specifically what disability support they can fund for international students.
With regards to your learning disability, you may be entitled to getting the disability student allowance provided you have medical evidence. I would suggest you look into it. I get the DSA for my mental health and it's really helpful - I get a laptop from them and because of my lack of concentration I get a voice recorder so that if I've missed anything I can refer back to the recordings. There's also softwares provided in the laptop which makes learning more accessible for those who have a disability or mental health condition etc etc. Every university has a department that's dedicated to helping those who have disabilities. I can't really tell you which unis would be good as it is subjective - I think the best thing would be to actually attend open days and have a chat with the departments that deal with disabilities and from there you can make an informed decision. As far as I know, if anyone has any kind of disabilities the university has to accommodate to that individual's needs so that they are in a level playing field with all the other students. Hope this helps, take care.
Original post by Remabegum96
With regards to your learning disability, you may be entitled to getting the disability student allowance provided you have medical evidence. I would suggest you look into it. I get the DSA for my mental health and it's really helpful - I get a laptop from them and because of my lack of concentration I get a voice recorder so that if I've missed anything I can refer back to the recordings. There's also softwares provided in the laptop which makes learning more accessible for those who have a disability or mental health condition etc etc. Every university has a department that's dedicated to helping those who have disabilities. I can't really tell you which unis would be good as it is subjective - I think the best thing would be to actually attend open days and have a chat with the departments that deal with disabilities and from there you can make an informed decision. As far as I know, if anyone has any kind of disabilities the university has to accommodate to that individual's needs so that they are in a level playing field with all the other students. Hope this helps, take care.

You can only get DSA if you're a UK student. The OP would however, be able to get exam arrangements with the appropriate evidence.

Quick Reply

Latest