The Student Room Group

Medicine 5th choice

Hi guys, I was wondering what people were going to apply for as their 5th choice? I'm really considering not having a 5th choice. Despite being a gap year student with a possibility of getting 4 rejections from Medicine, I don't think I'd want to apply anywhere else for a course seeing I would probably force myself into a second gap year instead of accepting the 5th choice... I would rather not apply somewhere to reduce some pressure on other courses and not take someone's place as it could mean a lot to them. I really aren't sure of what to do... Should I include a 5th choice? If so what?..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't know, best thing to do is call them. Thing is I don't really know if it's something I would actually do in the future if I apply for it... And if you wanna do Graduate medicine, it's much harder to apply after wards...
Reply 2
Original post by Docjones1
I'm applying for biomed. Was going to apply to Durham but now I'm thinking maybe UCL because I might do a last minute change to durham for one of my med course choices. Anyone know if UCL would disadvantage me with a med ps for biomed?

They don't care about a medicine ps for biomed, people who do medicine will have top grades and will have more work experience (and it's somewhat relevant) than most people who are applying for biomed directly. And, while this isn't UCL, the Edinburgh admissions officer for biochemistry told me that they 'pretty much expect to be 5th choices'
Reply 3
Original post by not you
They don't care about a medicine ps for biomed, people who do medicine will have top grades and will have more work experience (and it's somewhat relevant) than most people who are applying for biomed directly. And, while this isn't UCL, the Edinburgh admissions officer for biochemistry told me that they 'pretty much expect to be 5th choices'

Would you go into your 5th choice if you didn't get any offers? Although I highly doubt it as your stats are pretty good from what I've seen but still
Reply 4
Original post by Ahmed766
Would you go into your 5th choice if you didn't get any offers? Although I highly doubt it as your stats are pretty good from what I've seen but still

I probably would since I quite like biochemistry, and if at the end of my bachelors I decide I still want to do medicine, graduate entry at both British and American medical schools is an option.
Reply 5
Really considering Microbiology right now.. It seems so fun :3
I was thinking biomed

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying for human biology at Loughborough for my 5th choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Biomed and human biology are both medicine related and sound great but microbiology seems so cool :biggrin: btw biomed where? And do your courses allow you to transfer to medicine?
Original post by Ahmed766
Biomed and human biology are both medicine related and sound great but microbiology seems so cool :biggrin: btw biomed where? And do your courses allow you to transfer to medicine?

I was initially thinking of microbiology too.. At University of Warwick but you can switch to any life science course within your first year
So I'm choosing biomed I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would pharmacology be ok as a fifth choice? Was thinking the Leeds course?
I've picked two backup choices

Radiogrpahy as one of them
And biomed as another

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
If you were still at school, then it would be alright having no 5th choice. But as you're on a gap year, I would definitely have a 5th choice as universities are very unlikely to accept you if you have had 2 gap years.
I got an offer for my 5th choice the other day, biochemistry and human biology duel honours. Seems they weren't too bothered that my PS was completely geared to medicine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aleveltimes
I got an offer for my 5th choice the other day, biochemistry and human biology duel honours. Seems they weren't too bothered that my PS was completely geared to medicine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you get the offer from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably warwick, they tend to be reply fast. Maybe it's not though.. :biggrin:
Original post by Bloom77

Posted from TSR Mobile

Keele!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got my Warwick offer yesterday 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ramighanem98
If you were still at school, then it would be alright having no 5th choice. But as you're on a gap year, I would definitely have a 5th choice as universities are very unlikely to accept you if you have had 2 gap years.

Really? I didn't know that was a thing. :redface:
Original post by spiritless98
I got my Warwick offer yesterday 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done!
Still waiting for queen Mary's biomed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending