The Student Room Group

Why are so many people clueless about immigration?

Just watching QT on iPlayer and I keep hearing the same old rubbish from the Lefites time and time again:

1) I do not care about NET benefits/figures. If you're going to spout "net" then you are saying for every Donald Trump admitted we should also admit 100,000 immigrants who leach off the state, simply because netting their contributions would be positive.

2) If its fine to have a strict non-EU immigration policy then why is it wrong to apply it to EU immigrants?

3) Picking Strawberries for a living, however commendable does NOT pay enough taxes to cover the costs of that individual to public services. The majority of immigrants who come here will not earn much (the normal distribution of wages- even the UK average salary is £25k and that's with our MUCH better education system).

4) Tim Farron says 2.7 million Brits are abroad in the EU, what proportion of them are low-earners compared with the proportion of immigrants in the UK? Do any of them sleep in parks? Receive free houses? £20k a year in benefits?

5) Every additional person in this country increases the pressure on housing.

6) Every low-skilled immigrant increases the supply of Labour and suppresses wages.

7) The increase of immigrants increases the burden on schools, hospitals, police, transport etc. As mentioned earlier, immigrants generally don't earn high salaries and therefore pay little tax in the grand scheme of things. So who do you think will be funding the increase in public services caused by immigration? Clue: British taxpayer.

My view:

Get out of the EU/Freedom of EU movement and apply our points-based non-EU immigration policy to ALL immigrants. This even silences the "our NHS would be finished without immigrants" argument because nurses are favoured within our non-EU immigration policy.

We should only admit immigrants who can (clearly) benefit this country:

-Nurses
-Doctors
-Engineers
-Entrepreneurs
-High-wealth individuals (but so long as their tax affairs are arranged prior to coming here)
-Possibly people who are going to do charity work (bet you didn't expect me to say that)

We should not be admitting:

-Strawberry pickers
-Shelf stackers
-Costa Coffee staff

because we have plenty of unemployed people who we could force to do these jobs, by reducing benefits if they refuse a fair (ie not 10 miles away) job.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
Just watching QT on iPlayer and I keep hearing the same old rubbish from the Lefites time and time again:

1) I do not care about NET benefits/figures. If you're going to spout "net" then you are saying for every Donald Trump admitted we should also admit 100,000 immigrants who leach off the state, simply because netting their contributions would be positive.

2) If its fine to have a strict non-EU immigration policy then why is it wrong to apply it to EU immigrants?

3) Picking Strawberries for a living, however commendable does NOT pay enough taxes to cover the costs of that individual to public services. The majority of immigrants who come here will not earn much (the normal distribution of wages- even the UK average salary is £25k and that's with our MUCH better education system).

4) Tim Farron says 2.7 million Brits are abroad in the EU, what proportion of them are low-earners compared with the proportion of immigrants in the UK? Do any of them sleep in parks? Receive free houses? £20k a year in benefits?

6) Every low-skilled immigrant increases the supply of Labour and suppresses wages.

7) The increase of immigrants increases the burden on schools, hospitals, police, transport etc. As mentioned earlier, immigrants generally don't earn high salaries and therefore pay little tax in the grand scheme of things. So who do you think will be funding the increase in public services caused by immigration? Clue: British taxpayer.

My view:

Get out of the EU/Freedom of EU movement and apply our points-based non-EU immigration policy to ALL immigrants. This even silences the "our NHS would be finished without immigrants" argument because nurses are favoured within our non-EU immigration policy.

I will tell you my point of view.

Certain politicians benefit from the votes of certain social communities. They co-exist - diminish these communities and you will diminish these politicians.

They support each other and they pay each other in different ways.

This is why you face double and triple standards when it comes for politics and policies - people always behave in favour of their interests in short time without realising they damage their own existence in long term period of time.

People are unable to behave responsibly - this is my observation.

My view:

God God man, why on Earth would you watch QT? It's state-sponsored brainwashing. I fundamentally believe we'd have rational thought in this country if we did away with The Bias By Omission Corporation. In terms of social policy, it makes Cuba look centrist.
Reply 3
Why are so many people clueless about immigration?
Partly because the media are rubbish and partly because the two political parties want us clueless.
Reply 4
Original post by TheCitizenAct
God God man, why on Earth would you watch QT? It's state-sponsored brainwashing. I fundamentally believe we'd have rational thought in this country if we did away with The Bias By Omission Corporation. In terms of social policy, it makes Cuba look centrist.

I must admit the only part of QT I enjoy is the right-wing non-mainstream politician they occasionally have (Farage, Melanie Phillips, David Starky, Julia Hartley-Brewer etc) because they actually say it how it is!
I must admit the only part of QT I enjoy is the right-wing non-mainstream politician they occasionally have (Farage, Melanie Phillips, David Starky, Julia Hartley-Brewer etc) because they actually say it how it is!

It's not worth the stress, nor is it reflective of majority sentiment. 68% of the British public want a reduction in mass immigration, the largest group polled didn't want any migrants from those migrating across the European continent or in the Syrian camps.

The BBC is just the permanent adversary to any conceptualisation of national sovereignty - everyone is oppressed (except white men), everything is 'hate speech' (unless it's perpetrated against white men), everything is moral relativism. It hates everything about The UK, hence why it wants to engineer a new one. Come the Charter review in 2016, I will be ditching the license fee. I advise you to do the same.
Reply 6
Original post by TheCitizenAct
It's not worth the stress, nor is it reflective of majority sentiment. 68% of the British public want a reduction in mass immigration, the largest group polled didn't want any migrants from those migrating across the European continent or in the Syrian camps.

The BBC is just the permanent adversary to any conceptualisation of national sovereignty - everyone is oppressed (except white men), everything is 'hate speech' (unless it's perpetrated against white men), everything is moral relativism. It hates everything about The UK, hence why it wants to engineer a new one. Come the Charter review in 2016, I will be ditching the license fee. I advise you to do the same.

Completely agree.

The good thing about the EU vote is that although the working class vote Labour, they dislike the low-skilled immigrants even more and if Labour go pro-EU then the working class will see them as still being the "Islington Elite"
Reply 7
What the left fail to realise is the fact MASS UNCONTROLLED immigration changes communities in the space of months. They become unrecognisable. I live in a place of Mass Immigration and it is not the utopia the left make it out to be. Segregation is rife. The Muslim community stick to themselves, the Irish community to themselves, the English community to themselves, the Eastern European community to themselves, the Black African community to themselves, the Chinese community to themselves, the Indian community to themselves, on and on. Yes, there is some mix and professionally people will work together but socially it is more segregated than ever. You rarely hear English spoken from the other communities.

The left spout all this crap about economic benefits, but all I see in this area of Mass immigration is a pit, dirty, high crime, dangerous, poor standards and a culture clash. Where are the benefits for people like us?

Immigration could of worked. If only it was managed, sustainable and mutual. Instead we have different communities reflecting different countries let alone Britain.
(edited 8 years ago)

My view:

They are not clueless they are simply deliberately trying to antagonize the right and keep pushing to creating a multi cultural society.
Original post by Gears265
What the left fail to realise is the fact MASS UNCONTROLLED immigration changes communities in the space of months. They become unrecognisable. I live in a place of Mass Immigration and it is not the utopia the left make it out to be. Segregation is rife. The Muslim community stick to themselves, the Irish community to themselves, the English community to themselves, the Eastern European community to themselves, the Black African community to themselves, the Chinese community to themselves, the Indian community to themselves, on and on. Yes, there is some mix and professionally people will work together but socially it is more segregated than ever. You rarely here English spoken from the other communities.

The left spout all this crap about economic benefits, but all I see in this area of Mass immigration is a pit, dirty, high crime, dangerous, poor standards and a culture clash. Where are the benefits for people like us?

Mass immigration was never about economics, or the objective otherwise referred to as 'tolerance and diversity.' Like 'white privilege', 'rape culture', and every other nefarious ism, theory or mythology brought to life by the delusional tendencies of modern day identity ideologues, it was about dividing the population up and giving the left something to clobber the right over the head with - oppression is the modern day badge of honour. To score a victory all you need to do is tear it from your lapel and bludgeon your opponent with it.

When you import oppression en masse you've got yet more votes and more 'oppression'; soon enough, after you've stockpiled enough 'oppression', you've got your political outcome: the deconstruction of British conservatism.
(edited 8 years ago)
Here is an actual economic study rather than baseless claims.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/05/eu-migrants-uk-gains-20bn-ucl-study

/thread

My view:

Problem is the free market capitalists/large corporations/invested interests and the whole host of private meetings. Disagree with you on this one. Remember they have the £££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Let them all flood in i say. We should open up immigration from outside the EU since the future superpowers won't be based in the EU. We cannot neglect India/China etc.
the awk moment when u click on an latest discussion and thread was started by someone on your ignore list :frown:

*leaves thread*
Reply 13
Original post by Gears265
What the left fail to realise is the fact MASS UNCONTROLLED immigration changes communities in the space of months. They become unrecognisable. I live in a place of Mass Immigration and it is not the utopia the left make it out to be. Segregation is rife. The Muslim community stick to themselves, the Irish community to themselves, the English community to themselves, the Eastern European community to themselves, the Black African community to themselves, the Chinese community to themselves, the Indian community to themselves, on and on. Yes, there is some mix and professionally people will work together but socially it is more segregated than ever. You rarely here English spoken from the other communities.

Immigration could of worked. If only it was managed, sustainable and mutual. Instead we have different communities reflecting different countries let alone Britain.

Would love a leftie to explain the economic benefits of importing people here to earn £16,000 a year whilst ramping up the cost of public services and housing.
Reply 14
Original post by driftawaay
the awk moment when u click on an latest discussion and thread was started by someone on your ignore list :frown:

*leaves thread*

The awkward moment when you can never properly debate your side.......
Reply 15
Original post by midgemeister7
Here is an actual economic study rather than baseless claims.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/05/eu-migrants-uk-gains-20bn-ucl-study

/thread

Somebody cannot read:

It says that European migrants made a net contribution of £20bn to UK public finances between 2000 and 2011.

So its fine to admit thousands of useless immigrants so long as we admit the occasional wealthy one?

European migrants to the UK are not a drain on Britain’s finances and pay out far more in taxes than they receive in state benefits, a new study has revealed.

Where is the analysis on the burden to public services?

Seriously, this is just so easy.... all day- I could beat your arguments all day!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Short answer: Too many people are slaves to the right wing media.

Or they just don't care.
Reply 17
Original post by miacat
Short answer: Too many people are slaves to the right wing media.

Or they just don't care.

Its only the FT and the Times who love immigration for their paymasters. The Telegraph, Daily Mail and Express are anti-immigration.
Somebody cannot read:

So its fine to admit thousands of useless immigrants so long as we admit the occasional wealthy one?

Where is the analysis on the burden to public services?

Seriously, this is just so easy.... all day- I could beat your arguments all day!

Tip: Merely telling someone you could 'beat' their arguments all day doesn't mean you're actually doing it!

'Useless immigrants' - this is just a claim. I would refute it but there is literally nothing to refute. I'm not sure what you mean by useless; if you mean claiming benefits, then the fact is that immigrants are far less likely to claim benefits than UK citizens (Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/britons-43-more-likely-claim-4669678).

If sufficient investment was made in public services by the current government then it wouldn't be an issue. That's the real problem, not migration.
Reply 19
Tip: Merely telling someone you could 'beat' their arguments all day doesn't mean you're actually doing it!

Tip: I didn't just tell you I could beat you all day- I elaborated and told you your study was silly because it said the EXACT thing mentioned in my post: using "net" figures and I then asked you where was the analysis on public service burden.

So erm, where is their inclusion of the burden to public services?

'Useless immigrants' - this is just a claim. I would refute it but there is literally nothing to refute. I'm not sure what you mean by useless; if you mean claiming benefits, then the fact is that immigrants are far less likely to claim benefits than UK citizens (Source: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/britons-43-more-likely-claim-4669678).

A European family come here, two parents, two kids. The Father picks Strawberries, earning £15,000 a year. How exactly are they beneficial when he will only be paying about £880 a year in tax and yet they're:

-Costing us in terms of education
-Costing us in terms of NHS
-Costing us in terms of house price/rent increase
-Costing us in terms of other public services
-Costing us in terms of social welfare benefits

If sufficient investment was made in public services by the current government then it wouldn't be an issue. That's the real problem, not migration.

Who will be paying for this? The Strawberry pickers, shelf-stackers and Costa Coffee employees from their £880 a year tax contribution?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending