The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Chemistry applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shiney101
Thank you!
Also do you know if they invite everyone who applies for chemistry or have they already started declining people too?

You've made it past the major hurdle, I know that much :smile:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by lawlieto
I'll send a PM :smile:

Could I also have a PM of the questions they asked please ?
Original post by Hamzy45
Could I also have a PM of the questions they asked please ?

Hi

they only asked about what I mentioned in my PS. Not even a question like why chemistry or why UCL...
I had to draw SN1, SN2 mechanisms, tell how to synthesyse benzoic acid with reaction mechanisms and we talked about graphene (and graphene oxide :smile: )
some students were asked physics questions... but most students were talking about topics mentioned on the PSs, and mainly organic chemistry, but again it depends on the interviewer :smile:
I recommend you know everything you mentioned on your PS though.
Reply 103
I HAVE A CHEM INTERVIEW ON THE 24TH!! REALLY HAPPY BUT FREAKING OUT, I NEED SOME ADVICE BY THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY HAD THE INTERVIEW!!
Firstly how formal is it and what did you guys wear (especially the girls) also what were the questions like, was it entirely personal statement based or not. How difficult were the chem questions and was the interview relaxed or stressful? Also were there two interviewers or one! I really need some urgent advice especially @Aerosmith as we applied for the same course! Thanks in advance :colondollar:
Original post by n2697
I HAVE A CHEM INTERVIEW ON THE 24TH!! REALLY HAPPY BUT FREAKING OUT, I NEED SOME ADVICE BY THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY HAD THE INTERVIEW!!
Firstly how formal is it and what did you guys wear (especially the girls) also what were the questions like, was it entirely personal statement based or not. How difficult were the chem questions and was the interview relaxed or stressful? Also were there two interviewers or one! I really need some urgent advice especially @Aerosmith as we applied for the same course! Thanks in advance :colondollar:

Woohoo. I've also got an interview then too!
Congrats!!! I've applied to medicinal chemistry - wbu?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Reply 105
Original post by ultimatesword
Woohoo. I've also got an interview then too!
Congrats!!! I've applied to medicinal chemistry - wbu?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks MChem with a European language!!
Congrats for you too! How are you preparing?!
Original post by n2697
Thanks MChem with a European language!!
Congrats for you too! How are you preparing?!

Nice one!

I haven't started preparing yet but I plan on going through my textbooks to make sure I know organic inside out and plan on researching everything in my personal statement to the tee.

How about you?
Reply 107
Original post by ultimatesword
Nice one!

I haven't started preparing yet but I plan on going through my textbooks to make sure I know organic inside out and plan on researching everything in my personal statement to the tee.

How about you?

Yeah I'm pretty much the same, I'm in the process of researching everything on my personal statement. When you say organic chem are you just talkimg about AS chem so free radical substitution, electrophillic addition and nucleophilic substitution? Or do you know more organics because everyone on TSR seems to know higher level organics that I haven't covered in school :frown:
BTW are you from London?
Those who received offers 6 days later the interview .... did you receive the offer afternoon or before noon ? :biggrin:
Those who received offers 6 days later the interview .... did you receive the offer afternoon or before noon ? :biggrin:

I got it in the afternoon - around 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by victoria98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't wait to get an offer but I'll be doing some maths at that time (senior team maths challenge so my phone has to be off :frown: )
Ill go crazy haha
Original post by victoria98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't wait to get an offer but I'll be doing some maths at that time (senior team maths challenge so my phone has to be off :frown: )
Ill go crazy haha
Reply 112
Original post by n2697

I had my interview on Tues 3rd Nov and received an offer the following Monday. It's not that formal, just wear casual stuff. There's always one who turns up in a suit - don't be that guy xD questions start with your personal statement and then progress on to your interests in chemistry. after that it is highly likely you'll be asked organic chemistry questions of some kind but you won't be asked to do any calculations as far as I know - they don't prepare questions in advance or anything like that. it's much more of a discussion of how to solve problems and how you would approach a question. generally, the interview is relaxed, and there is always one interviewer only. don't be surprised if you get asked chem questions for the whole of it (I did and so did a fair few others!) and vice versa - some people got asked barely anything
Original post by Aerosmith
I had my interview on Tues 3rd Nov and received an offer the following Monday. It's not that formal, just wear casual stuff. There's always one who turns up in a suit - don't be that guy xD questions start with your personal statement and then progress on to your interests in chemistry. after that it is highly likely you'll be asked organic chemistry questions of some kind but you won't be asked to do any calculations as far as I know - they don't prepare questions in advance or anything like that. it's much more of a discussion of how to solve problems and how you would approach a question. generally, the interview is relaxed, and there is always one interviewer only. don't be surprised if you get asked chem questions for the whole of it (I did and so did a fair few others!) and vice versa - some people got asked barely anything

At what time of the day did you receive your offer ?
Reply 114
At what time of the day did you receive your offer ?

2:55 PM to be precise 😉
2:55 PM to be precise 😉

Haven't received anything yet :frown:
Reply 116

I got mine at 5:38pm but seriously don't stress about timing! X
Reply 117

Ahh ok so how deep did it go into your personal statement?! Also will you get asked about organics even if you didn't mention it in your PS? Did the interview feel long in any way? Finally how many chemistry questions were you roughly asked in your interview :smile: Sorry for the weird questions, it's just that I've never had an interview let alone one this important! Congrats by the way for the offer!!
Reply 118

They'll probably respond tomorrow - you won't have to wait long!
Reply 119
Original post by n2697
Ahh ok so how deep did it go into your personal statement?! Also will you get asked about organics even if you didn't mention it in your PS? Did the interview feel long in any way? Finally how many chemistry questions were you roughly asked in your interview :smile: Sorry for the weird questions, it's just that I've never had an interview let alone one this important! Congrats by the way for the offer!!

Well we just chatted about buckminsterfullerene for a few minutes (which was in my first paragraph of my PS) so I guess it wasn't that deep. Most likely yeah, organic is more commonly tested, but I did mention out loud the fact I had enjoyed the organic chemistry I had recently been learning about which may have brought on the questions xD it felt a bit long even though it was just 20 minutes, but it was my first interview, and it was at UCL so I didn't know what to expect really because loads of other people came out of their interviews saying that they'd barely been asked a thing about chemistry :') My Leeds interview was half an hour but felt shorter, possibly because I enjoyed it more! But the Leeds interview also tested a lot of chemistry; as a whole the visit day was better organised than at UCL and I think that helped a fair bit. To answer your last question, at UCL - maybe 5 chemistry questions but think of them in the context of a discussion where we were very much talking about ideas and using information you have at the moment to solve something more unfamiliar. And thanks 😄 really happy to get an offer but going to have a hard time deciding whether to firm UCL or Leeds tbh, but I have a feeling it'll be Leeds in the end
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending