The Student Room Group

I rejected a girl because she's fat. AMA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by frogs r everywhere
If you don't find her attractive, keep it to yourself. It just angers me when people like you label others as "barrels", whilst thinking that they are on some form of superior level. I'd reject the eye candy with a present criminal record of murder. Not attractive.

That's a different story. I have no problem with people who are overweight or underweight or normal weight but HEALTHY! But the morbidly obese who cannot stop stuffing their faces for NO reason at ALL are not attractive. Like they cannot even take care of and respect themselves and their bodies. Then they go and cry because they're fat, and instead of changing it, they just eat more and get even fatter. That should be a crime!

are you really gonna tell me this turns you on?:

i didn't say i thought myself as superior, where did i mention that? they're humans too, just not ones i wanna mate with... can i not decide who i find attractive?

Why is it that people who find her attractive can give their opinions, but people who don't have to keep quiet? I'm sorry but people can't just go around doing whatever they want and expect everyone to love them for it. They'll never know when to stop if no one says anything.

Now what they did is another story. They could be leonardo dicaprio but if they have criminal records and treat me like ****, i'll pass thank you very much. I was solely speaking of physical appearance. I'd also reject a morbidly obese person who has been an angel all their life with not so much as a parking ticket because i simply CANNOT be with someone i do not find attractive. And i will say it.
Original post by Anonymous
She came onto me at Uni today. It was after our seminar, she came up to me and asked me out.

I told her that she's so nice, but I'm dati

It's because she's really fat. It was embarrassing.

Was this bad?

She just straight up asked you out??? The hell??? Did she even know you? Even your friend? I'm a fat girl but I completely agree with what you did. In fact if I was you I would have been tempted to be mean. I think what she did was quite rude if she doesn't know you well enough, no matter her weight or gender, that's always rude in my books. So I would not have even offered her the curtesy of lying. Though as a fat girl some guys do assume I'm very desparate and yesterday I accidentally made it look like I was asking a stranger out! I was so embarassed! The poor guy ran off! I was just trying to make friendly conversation but then I realized what I'd said!! "So do you have anyone to go to event X with?" Haha oh dear. But yeah you could have been a lot meanerand done that so don't worry :smile: I hate having to tell guys I have a bf so get some peace, some people don't take a straight forward "No." As a good enough answer...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by InternetGangster
No. He didn't.

If she implied that her aim was to have a romantic time together, which the words "ask me out" suggest, then yes, he could do whatever he wishes. One isn't forced to do anything just because it is kind to do. You do it if you have a desire to. It's a phenomenon we call "free will".
If she implied that her aim was to have a romantic time together, which the words "ask me out" suggest, then yes, he could do whatever he wishes. One isn't forced to do anything just because it is kind to do. You do it if you have a desire to. It's a phenomenon we call "free will".

well sometimes you have to be a gentlemen but i guess you dont know what that is.
Original post by z33
That's a different story. I have no problem with people who are overweight or underweight or normal weight but HEALTHY! But the morbidly obese who cannot stop stuffing their faces for NO reason at ALL are not attractive. Like they cannot even take care of and respect themselves and their bodies.

You will have to understand that dieting and exercising regularly is a very difficult lifestyle choice for many. No one would want to be obese, yet with so many temptations to eat unhealthy food, with a Mcdonald at every corner of the square, and a KFC advert every time we switch the telly on, it becomes increasingly difficult. To the extent where eating a salad instead of burger leads to mental health issues. It is difficult. If they had a capability to be attractive thin and blonde, they would.

Then they go and cry because they're fat, and instead of changing it, they just eat more and get even fatter. That should be a crime!

Out of all things to call a crime!

are you really gonna tell me this turns you on?:

No it doesn't. But I'm not going to say that if I met her. If I did, it'd probably be rude thing for me to do.

i didn't say i thought myself as superior, where did i mention that? they're humans too, just not ones i wanna mate with... can i not decide who i find attractive?

Calling people barrels just seems really condescending.

Why is it that people who find her attractive can give their opinions, but people who don't have to keep quiet?

Because people have manners.

I'm sorry but people can't just go around doing whatever they want and expect everyone to love them for it. They'll never know when to stop if no one says anything.

Leave them to it. Some clearly love it.

Now what they did is another story. They could be leonardo dicaprio but if they have criminal records and treat me like ****, i'll pass thank you very much. I was solely speaking of physical appearance. I'd also reject a morbidly obese person who has been an angel all their life with not so much as a parking ticket because i simply CANNOT be with someone i do not find attractive. .

Fair enough.
(edited 8 years ago)
well sometimes you have to be a gentlemen but i guess you dont know what that is.

A gentlemen doesn't lie. If he didn't find her attractive, that's fine. It's ok. They can still be friends.
Reply 26
In my opinion personality > looks, but I know that I do have presences about both and that other people do too, which is why it's not an awful thing.

So what you you say is borderline fat? Or what was ok?

Being a gentleman isn't about lying to someone or settling for a relationship you don't want.
Being a gentleman is about refusing the offer in a polite and friendly manner, to spare the person's feelings.
It's much better than being one of these god awful men who have such a low opinion of themselves that they'll date the first woman who asks them (even if there's no attraction) and then be in a relationship with someone where they're constantly telling the woman that she's fat and why can't she change. I've experienced this and I know women who it has happened to.

So yeah op, if you can let someone down politely (which I believe you have) then you're keeping both parties free to find what will actually make them happy and healthy so this is fair enough.
Original post by Anonymous
She came onto me at Uni today. It was after our seminar, she came up to me and asked me out.

I told her that she's so nice, but I'm dating someone already (lie).

It's because she's really fat. It was embarrassing.

Was this bad?

No, you did the right thing.

As far as I'm concerned, it's all about physical attraction, and fat girls obviously fail in that category.
Fair enough if you don't find that attractive. You're not obligated to date a nice person if you don't fancy them. I would never go out with a skinny guy or even a bit toned because I find it repugnant. Works both ways.
You're not in the wrong OP. You don't have any obligation to date her because you have your own free will to decide at the end of the day. I would never date an overweight girl(my limit is plus size, aka curvy but to the lower end of that i.e Ashley Graham type) but I would never shame them for it because that would only drive them into depression and potentially more weight gain. You let her down nicely which is a gentlemans way of handling such an issue, quite commendable
Reply 33
You will have to understand that dieting and exercising regularly is a very difficult lifestyle choice for many. No one would want to be obese, yet with so many temptations to eat unhealthy food, with a Mcdonald at every corner of the square, and a KFC advert every time we switch the telly on, it becomes increasingly difficult. To the extent where eating a salad instead of burger leads to mental health issues. It is difficult. If they had a capability to be attractive thin and blonde, they would.

It may be difficult but it's possible. If someone really wanted to be healthy and lose weight they can. I'm sure someone could fit 30 minutes of exercise into a 24 hour day. It could be going for a jog in the morning, or cycling to work/ school, or doing extra curriculars, going swimming once a week, going to the gym twice a week, jump roping for goodness sake!... it's really not that hard.
As for the food, they can limit the fast food and KFC to one day a week so their cravings are fulfilled, but eat healthy the rest of the week. Losing weight/ being healthy is not a chore, it is possible. She could even just cut down on 300 calories below her BMR and lose weight. It's not rocket science.

and who said to be attractive you have to be stick thin and BLONDE?! It's not about your hair colour, or eye colour, or anything like that. It's about your confidence and your respect for your body.

Out of all things to call a crime!

Yes! It should be a crime to destroy yourself like that. Isn't suicide a crime? I don't see the difference between eating yourself to death and putting a bullet through your brain other than the method used.

No it doesn't. But I'm not going to say that if I met her. If I did, it'd probably be rude thing for me to do.

Obviously you wouldn't be rude about it, but maybe you could offer some help. Most unhealthy overweight people are insecure about their weight and WANT it to change. For example I was around 15 kg overweight, but having people making fun of me for it, mentioning it every time they saw me really made me want to lose weight. And I did, now i feel more confident in my own body and the teasing has stopped. People now admire me for making that change. You get tired of being fat, so you lose weight... simple as. I'm not saying go bully her, but i'm saying maybe if they were friends they could go hiking, swimming together, or some other kinda activity like walking to work/ school from the station together everyday instead of taking the bus.

Calling people barrels just seems really condescending

I was using that to make a point. Exaggeration. Obviously I'm not gonna go up to a fat person and call them a barrel.
but tbh i don't see a difference
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=barrel&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&imgil=_AeJc_bZ1PpWVM%253A%253BYSClS2ly8she0M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fxtcr.net%25252Ftopic%25252F26535-barrel%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=_AeJc_bZ1PpWVM%253A%252CYSClS2ly8she0M%252C_&biw=1366&bih=643&usg=__y-0yCajEh4a2ZNvH7dK9R3VfAss%3D&ved=0CDkQyjdqFQoTCIq1rcr1t8gCFUlvFAod21cINw&ei=XAYZVoqXCMneUduvobgD#imgrc=_AeJc_bZ1PpWVM%3A&usg=__y-0yCajEh4a2ZNvH7dK9R3VfAss%3D

do you?

Because people have manners.
You can disagree about something without being rude. It is not rude to point out you do not like something. If I say "Hey [insert name here] you wanna go to the gym together? I'm trying to lose 10kg before my next birthday, wanna join me?" I'm sure the person isn't gonna think i was rude. They might appreciate it as it would be easier to lose weight with a friend to keep you on track than by yourself.
Leave them to it. Some clearly love it.
That's worse than calling them names for it tbh. Being obese has MANY, and i mean MANY health problems that come with it. They could end up killing themselves. Or living a life of pain... and maybe die before they're even 50! It is selfish to not tell them, and watch them kill themselves because you don't wanna come across as rude. I'd rather be told that I need to stop, and how to stop, than just be watched by judging eyes while my body slowly breaks down.
Original post by AbsoluteAnarchy
Being a gentleman isn't about lying to someone or settling for a relationship you don't want.
Being a gentleman is about refusing the offer in a polite and friendly manner, to spare the person's feelings.

Being up front and saying she is too fat for him would only be impolite if it isn't true.
Don't like hearing the word fat? Stop being fat. There's simply no excuse in this day and age unless it is due to an unavoidable health problem.
That's fine, you're not obliged to go out with anyone, and it sounds like you let her down gently.

However, personally, as long as she wasn't morbidly obese, I think I would have given her a chance because her personality is way more important than her looks will ever be (imo). :h:
Original post by Jebedee
Being up front and saying she is too fat for him would only be impolite if it isn't true.
Don't like hearing the word fat? Stop being fat. There's simply no excuse in this day and age unless it is due to an unavoidable health problem.

Perhaps, but I'd prefer not to cause offence.
If a person is fat, they'll probably get angry/upset if it's pointed out. It's true that weight gain can be prevented but hey, I'd rather avoid the drama. :biggrin:
Original post by z33
It may be difficult but it's possible. If someone really wanted to be healthy and lose weight they can. I'm sure someone could fit 30 minutes of exercise into a 24 hour day. It could be going for a jog in the morning, or cycling to work/ school, or doing extra curriculars, going swimming once a week, going to the gym twice a week, jump roping for goodness sake!... it's really not that hard.

I never mentioned that losing weight is impossible, but it is difficult, especially for those with no support system in place, where their only source of enjoyment in life is eating. It might sound sad, but some people depend on food to mentally sustain themselves. It is hard. And at times people will need professional involvement to ensure that they stick to the plan.

As for the food, they can limit the fast food and KFC to one day a week so their cravings are fulfilled, but eat healthy the rest of the week. Losing weight/ being healthy is not a chore, it is possible. She could even just cut down on 300 calories below her BMR and lose weight. It's not rocket science.

Overeating is an addiction. Tell a smoker to stop smoking. Not everyone perseveres.

and who said to be attractive you have to be stick thin and BLONDE?! It's not about your hair colour, or eye colour, or anything like that. It's about your confidence and your respect for your body.

It was a figure of speech. Thin blondes are associated with perfect beauty. (but are not in reality).

Yes! It should be a crime to destroy yourself like that.

Then it is a crime to smoke excessively, drink excessive alcohol. It should be a crime to go to Mcdonalds too often. I would call it the Law of overeating Section 21A, it should be passed in parliament. Take all smokers to prison. They are criminals.

It's just ridiculous.

Isn't suicide a crime? I don't see the difference between eating yourself to death and putting a bullet through your brain other than the method used.

No it isn't a crime. True, they both need help. And it is not easy.

Obviously you wouldn't be rude about it, but maybe you could offer some help. Most unhealthy overweight people are insecure about their weight and WANT it to change. For example I was around 15 kg overweight, but having people making fun of me for it, mentioning it every time they saw me really made me want to lose weight. And I did, now i feel more confident in my own body and the teasing has stopped. People now admire me for making that change. You get tired of being fat, so you lose weight... simple as. I'm not saying go bully her, but i'm saying maybe if they were friends they could go hiking, swimming together, or some other kinda activity like walking to work/ school from the station together everyday instead of taking the bus.

I haven't disagreed with any of the above. My point is, that for some, losing weight is as hard as giving up smoking. Others also get tired of being called fat, of being bullied, but not all have the ability and endurance to change their diet. These people will need help, and calling them barrels isn't going the help the matter I'm afraid.

Yes I do. One is a human, the other a barrel.

You can disagree about something without being rude. It is not rude to point out you do not like something. If I say "Hey [insert name here] you wanna go to the gym together? I'm trying to lose 10kg before my next birthday, wanna join me?" I'm sure the person isn't gonna think i was rude. They might appreciate it as it would be easier to lose weight with a friend to keep you on track than by yourself.That's worse than calling them names for it tbh.

Not wanting to go to the gym and insulting someone based on their weight is not the same thing. Calling someone fat/barrel/other is rude.

Being obese has MANY, and i mean MANY health problems that come with it. They could end up killing themselves. Or living a life of pain... and maybe die before they're even 50! It is selfish to not tell them, and watch them kill themselves because you don't wanna come across as rude. I'd rather be told that I need to stop, and how to stop, than just be watched by judging eyes while my body slowly breaks down.

Do tell them, in a professional/ kind setting, where they are not being judged for what they are. Whether this be in terms of personality or looks.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 38
I never mentioned that losing weight is impossible, but it is difficult, especially for those with no support system in place, where their only source of enjoyment in life is eating. It might sound sad, but some people depend on food to mentally sustain themselves. It is hard. And at times people will need professional involvement to ensure that they stick to the plan.

Well help is out there, they could ask the doctor and they'd provide them with a plan. It may be hard but if someone REALLY wanted something they could do it, doesn't matter how hard it is. It's not gonna be easy, life's not like that. of course it's gonna be hard, but there is support available.

Overeating is an addiction. Tell a smoker to stop smoking. Not everyone perseveres.

Not everyone, but people do. A lot of people do. You could ask them how they did it. And yeah okay overeating is an addiction, why don't they eat healthy things then? They could eat 11 apples instead of a snickers bar, gives them the same amount of calories except the apples would fill them up but they'd end up eating 11 snickers bars to just feel satisfied. If they're constantly eating and they can't help it, might as well eat healthy foods so you can still eat loads but be healthy too... And again, support is available for such eating disorders.

It was a figure of speech. Thin blondes are associated with perfect beauty. (but are not in reality).

Just like I said obese people look like barrels... What's the difference between this statement and my one?

Then it is a crime to smoke excessively, drink excessive alcohol. It should be a crime to go to Mcdonalds too often. I would call it the Law of overeating Section 21A, it should be passed in parliament. Take all smokers to prison. They are criminals.

It's just ridiculous.

It may not be a crime in a legal sense as in you'd go to prison if you are like that, but it is a crime against your body. You can't be telling me it's perfectly okay to screw up your liver, bind yourself to a wheel chair and give yourself lung cancer. The definition of a crime is "an action or activity considered to be evil, shameful, or wrong." And yes, I believe these actions are wrong. You can drink, smoke and eat fast food every once in a while but doing it to the point where you cause a lot of physical damage is a crime against yourself.

No it isn't a crime. True, they both need help. And it is not easy.

Yes, they need help. And suicide is a crime (illegal) in many parts of the world, and the survivor could even be imprisoned. In the UK, it was decriminalised but you still get put into involuntary psychiatric hold. You get all sorts of restrictions in order to stop you from killing yourself. So it is still sort of a crime, because you won't be stopped if it wasn't. It isn't easy, I never said it was. And yes, they need help, and help is available if people reached out. How are others meant to know you need help if you don't ask for it? We're not psychic.

I haven't disagreed with any of the above. My point is, that for some, losing weight is as hard as giving up smoking. Others also get tired of being called fat, of being bullied, but not all have the ability and endurance to change their diet. These people will need help, and calling them barrels isn't going the help the matter I'm afraid.

These people need help yes, help is there... so what's the problem? Losing weight will be hard, it's never easy. Like I said, if someone REALLY wanted to lose weight, to stop being fat, they will get there, even if it takes 5, 10, 15 years. Just like if someone REALLY wanted to stop smoking they can do it. Eventually, when they develop diabetes and have to amputate their feet, they'll HAVE to stop or they will ACTUALLY DIE. Like they WILL die. Just like people HAVE to stop smoking when they get lung cancer, or HAVE to stop drinking when their liver is completely messed up. Why do they have to wait until that stage? They'll have to do it sooner or later, so why not sooner so they can live a normal life? Because they won't have a choice but to stop in the end.

Yes I do. One is a human, the other a barrel.

How is it different from you're 'you have to be thin and blonde to be beautiful' "figure of speech" though? I said obese people look like barrels, you said beautiful people are blonde... what's the difference?

Not wanting to go to the gym and insulting someone based on their weight is not the same thing. Calling someone fat/barrel/other is rude.

I don't call them that to their face straight up. They resemble a barrel to me, and I'm sure they want to change what they look like. I am yet to find a happy morbidly obese person. They want to change, so helping them do that should be appreciated. and btw, why is it rude to call someone fat when they are fat, but it's not rude to call someone skinny when they are skinny... I don't see the difference.
Do tell them, in a professional/ kind setting, where they are not being judged for what they are. Whether this be in terms of personality or looks.
Well just a second ago you said to leave them be. But yes I agree with the above statement.
It's fine to have physical preferences, relationships involve intimacy, and if you aren't attracted enough to be intimate, you'd be doing the other person an injustice

Quick Reply

Latest