The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

I often see grown men eyeing up school girls..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Where as you speak of all feminists whenever you go an a anti-feminist rant.

That's because every single feminists consciously opts-in to the label 'feminist', a label they know is populated by people who declare males are a 'biological accident.'

ALL women don't opt-in to anything; they are just women and co-opted for the nefarious, self-serving purposes of those who refer to themselves as feminists.
(edited 8 years ago)
I still get eyed upon this guy that is practically the same age my dad, every time a female walks past him he goes " calling cards" I told both my parents and during my enrolment day, I showed my dad the guy that keeps eyeing me since second year college. Then, after he went "calling cards" my dad shouted at him going "if I want a calling card, I will buy it". It was epic.
Original post by TheCitizenAct
Then why did you make a guarantee - not just an opinion, a guarantee! - on behalf of the 'majority of women' that they have in fact experienced some form of harassment?

You claimed to speak on behalf of the 'majority of women.' You can't, you're an individual. You can't speak for anyone else other than yourself. You are an individual, and that's all you ever will be, yet the manner in which you articulate your points suggests there's some sort of hidden code of sister hood shared by 'the majority of women' in The UK, and you are their official spokesperson.

Reality check: you aren't.

I disagree with a thing here; it's not wrong to never speak on behalf of someone else, providing it's been correctly researched and what not. It's good to consider everyone as an individual, but it's good to also consider them as a group, or you might fail to realise the bigger picture.

Original post by alisiabevan
Yet here you are, using one article, written by 1 person, to justify your comments. You're also a guy, so how can you argue what women take as a compliment or not. So when there's girls saying that most of us don't appreciate these gestures, we are more qualified than you to say otherwise, because WE live with this ****.

I'm not saying you exemplify this statement fully, but just because I, for example, lack a uterus doesn't mean that I can't share my opinion on the matter. There'll probably just be an increased likelihood of you being more qualified to answer than he is.

Also, we are able to extrapolate across the sexes to a degree and also put ourselves in their "shoes", so to speak.

Oh, great. Well on that basis I can determine that sexual objectification by women against men is a problem because 3 MILLION women have downloaded an online application called LuLu to rate men on a scale of 1-10 based on their sexual performance in bed.

As an aside, what evidence do you have that any of these 50,000 stories actually happened? Here's a clue: none.

Every single one is anecdotal evidence, and EverdaySexism explicitly stipulates the campaign is for women (i.e. no men allowed). What's more, we absolutely know women don't lie to garner attention or manufacture victimhood. A bit like the woman who recently proclaimed a security guard snatched her baby while she was breastfeeding him in a Primark. Of course, the baying mob of feminists believed her - the entire internet believed her.

However, anyone with a rational mind could see, upon first glance, that the idea of a security guard being able to snatch a baby in plain sight in a shopping centre filled to the brim with people in the safest country in the world was absolutely farcical. And it was. Completely.

It isn't wrong to consider anecdotal evidence. Anecdotal evidence is wrong if it is extrapolated most of the time, but it can highlight that there can be an issue, however big or small. Also, it might indicate that it is worth further investigating.

I can say, also, that you're using anecdotal evidence yourself. :smile:
Oh, blah, blah, blah.

As a guy, I have about as much authority as you in determining what an individual woman feels about being propositioned, or objectified. You don't know the woman, you don't know what she thinks about it, you don't about her experiences, you don't know ANYTHING about her. All you know is she has a vagina and you have one too, therefore you must be alike. Nonsense.

That's like saying I have an insight into the psyche of Adolf Hitler, or knew what he was feeling, because he happened to have a phallic member. Or do you have some magical connection to 'all women' through virtue of similar genitalia?

By all means, sit there and relay your own falsified, anecdotal experiences to one and all. However, don't sit there and pretend you share some form of telepathic connection to the entire 'sisterhood.'

It reads like you belong to a religion; your holy text is the feminine mystique, your shrine is the vagina, your missionaries are working for The Guardian, and your temples are 'safe spaces', women-only groups and gender studies departments on University campuses. All you need now is the sky fairy, a mythological belief which explains away every societal outcome - oh, wait, the patriarchy! More of a devil than a God though, right?

Why can't some men comprehend or accept the fact that women do suffer from certain aspects of society? I argue that a grown man eyeing up a child is wrong and that makes me seen as a 'feminazi'. Please don't patronize me. Women can't ****ing express their opinion, on stuff that AFFECTS them, without a guy telling them ' oh you can't speak for all women, oh take it as a compliment'. You're excusing men sexually objectifying a kid, by stating you're opinion which is that some women like 'it' . You simply can't know that and therefore can't use it as an excuse.
@TheCitizenAct
@alisiabevan

i.e. you're both in the wrong. :smile: :laugh:
That's because every single feminists consciously opts-in to the label 'feminist', a label they know is populated by people who declare males are a 'biological accident.'

ALL women don't opt-in to anything; they are just women and co-opted for the nefarious, self-serving purposes of those who refer to themselves as feminists.

So? That's like saying everyone who is a nationalist is a fascist as fascism is under the umbrella of nationalism.

You are doing with feminists what you think feminists do with women.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AnnieGakusei
LuLu is a sexist piece of junk which actually made me throw up a little when I first heard about it. I actually happen to agree with your first paragraph.

Yes, because 50,000+ women are totally making these things up. You do realise that, as this is a societal problem, the only way in which it can be highlighted is through empirical evidence? It's not exactly measurable through statistics, any more so than racial harassment can be easily studied through anything other than anecdotes. Maybe you should ask some of your female friends / relatives if they've ever been affected by sexism. You might be surprised by their responses.

You've clearly never read the Everyday Sexism Project, or you might have found Laura Bate's wonderful commentary on how men are affected by sexism too. Again, this displays an alarming propensity by anti-feminists to cherry-pick their arguments...

Right, so it's all mythology. There's motive there to make it up, plenty of women absolutely hate men; plenty of women spend their entire lives trying to adjust the narrative in their favour. Then again, I can't prove this, much in the same way you can't prove their accusations are true.

Plenty of women spend all of their lives pitting women off against men, or believing women are nothing, have no sense of self, until they are viewed though the prism of masculinity. Plenty of women make masses of money from doing this, women like Laura Bates, Jessica Valenti, Julie Bindel and Caitlin Moran. Many of them have amassed £millions in book sales.

The way I look at it is why are they sitting bleating about it on the internet? Harassment is ILLEGAL. Report it. There's only one motivation to bleat about it: they want to control the narrative. Their issue isn't the harassment, but articulating the harassment to form a narrative. If that's their motive, their accounts can never, ever be construed of as impartial.

I've read it, much in the same way I've read the bible. All accusation, no citations. Our legal system works on a presumption of innocence.
So? That's like saying everyone who is a nationalist is a fascist as fascism is under the umbrella of nationalism.

So? They opted-in to the label, knowing full well who else opts into the label. I agree with a BNP policy, it doesn't mean I'm going to be a BNP member (largely because they are racist b******s).

Women haven't opted-in to anything. They've been co-opted and exploited by other women - particularly women who are genuine victims of rape - to manufacture falsehoods and propagate myths, all for the purposes of pathologising masculinity and allowing a small collection of women at the top, or in the right place (the charity sector, higher education, MSM, Parliament, public sector, etc.) to profit.
I'm curious, and I have the arrogance to ask, why are people ignoring my posts, or points? I'm certain many are superior than yours/many, and my criticism rips them apart.

Edit: Or is it that no one has problems with my arguments, and accept them fully? :grin:
That'd make sense.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by alisiabevan
Why can't some men comprehend or accept the fact that women do suffer from certain aspects of society? I argue that a grown man eyeing up a child is wrong and that makes me seen as a 'feminazi'. Please don't patronize me. Women can't ****ing express their opinion, on stuff that AFFECTS them, without a guy telling them ' oh you can't speak for all women, oh take it as a compliment'. You're excusing men sexually objectifying a kid, by stating you're opinion which is that some women like 'it' . You simply can't know that and therefore can't use it as an excuse.

Some is an indeterminate amount. I cited that article to disprove the notion women universally are opposed to sexual objectification. I can't prove women are universally in favour of sexual objectification, in the same way you can't prove women are universally opposed to sexual objectification. You can prove individual women are opposed to sexual objectification, I can prove individual women ar ein favour of sexual objectification.

See, this is where progressivism always falls flat on its ass - the primary unit of analysis should always be the individual, not the group.

You can't speak for all women, that's just a fact. You can't even come close to being able to articulate an argument on behalf of all women.

When have I ever excused men sexually objectifying a young child by stating an opinion women like it? That's just absolute nonsense and a complete misrepresentation of my argument by a desperate person who no longer has a point.

As for the rest of your post, it's very emotional. What's with the swearing?
My two pennies worth. When I'm out and about walking, or when I'm sat with friends having a coffee and just generally people watching (A great sport!!), I tend to notice what people are wearing and look for inspiration or just interested in current trends. Which means (I'm a bloke) if a man walks past me chances are I will discreetly observe what he is wearing, which obviously mean my eyes flick to his lower half to observe his trousers and shoes.

I certainly didn't just check out his ass though, seriously....peoples eyes have to look somewhere, even if you are walking behind someone looking at the floor that could be construed as just staring at their ass from certain angles!

So I disagree with 8/10, but it does happen and IS disturbing, especially when they are quite obviously a schoolgirl in uniform. I particularly notice this happens in supermarkets, I don't know why that is? And when they notice that they have been caught and start looking around in an exaggerated manner, that part is hilarious!

Maybe people are bored when they are queuing?
Right, so it's all mythology. There's motive there to make it up, plenty of women absolutely hate men; plenty of women spend their entire lives trying to adjust the narrative in their favour. Then again, I can't prove this, much in the same way you can't prove their accusations are true.

Plenty of women spend all of their lives pitting women off against men, or believing women are nothing, have no sense of self, until they are viewed though the prism of masculinity. Plenty of women make masses of money from doing this, women like Laura Bates, Jessica Valenti, Julie Bindel and Caitlin Moran. Many of them have amassed £millions in book sales.

The way I look at it is why are they sitting bleating about it on the internet? Harassment is ILLEGAL. Report it. There's only one motivation to bleat about it: they want to control the narrative. Their issue isn't the harassment, but articulating the harassment to form a narrative. If that's their motive, their accounts can never, ever be construed of as impartial.

I've read it, much in the same way I've read the bible. All accusation, no citations. Our legal system works on a presumption of innocence.

Are you aware of the reasons why women don't report harassment?

1. It is unlikely to be taken any further, and in many cases isn't even taken seriously.
2. Women don't like to report workplace harassment because they're worried it will impact on their jobs or they will be labelled "troublemakers".
3. It's not always safe to complain about harassment - simple harassment sometimes leads on to physical or sexual violence.
4. Women don't always realise it's illegal and feel obliged to "keep quiet and put up with it".

All I can say is that I am sincerely envious of your position in life - you have clearly never had to face any form of harassment, nor have you ever been scared walking down the street because you thought somebody was following you, or felt embarrassed when someone wolf-whistled at you in public or barked at you out of a car window, or had to sit on a bus with your bag between you and somebody else because you thought they had wandering hands.

I have had enough of trying to justify something which you are blind to, having never had to deal with any of this yourself. It's like trying to persuade a white, middle-class UKIP politician that racism does in fact exist, or that not all people on benefits are doing it because it's an easy alternative to working.

Way to go though, mocking feminists and Christians with one sweeping statement...
Original post by XcitingStuart
I'm curious, and I have the arrogance to ask, why are people ignoring my posts, or points? I'm certain many are superior than yours/many, and my criticism rips them apart.

Edit: Or is it that no one has problems with my arguments, and accept them fully? :grin:
That'd make sense.

Declaring your own victory is a bit like laughing at your own jokes. And I did respond to you. You've ignored it which, by your logic, means I win! Yay for me!
Original post by queen-bee
Hmm okay

He's right. Schoolgirls can be smoking hot.

What's wrong with looking at them?
Some is an indeterminate amount. I cited that article to disprove the notion women universally are opposed to sexual objectification. I can't prove women are universally in favour of sexual objectification, in the same way you can't prove women are universally opposed to sexual objectification. You can prove individual women are opposed to sexual objectification, I can prove individual women ar ein favour of sexual objectification.

See, this is where progressivism always falls flat on its ass - the primary unit of analysis should always be the individual, not the group.

You can't speak for all women, that's just a fact. You can't even come close to being able to articulate an argument on behalf of all women.

When have I ever excused men sexually objectifying a young child by stating an opinion women like it? That's just absolute nonsense and a complete misrepresentation of my argument by a desperate person who no longer has a point.

I haven't said that all women are opposed to sexual objectification etc. I just replied to you're comment because in my opinion a girl who has shared an experience with other people is more qualified to generalize her feelings regarding what happened with other people who have also experienced the same thing, than you, using an article and you're view, when you have not experienced what she has. At the end of the day,My POINT COMES BACK TO THE FACT THAT a young girl, a child, being eyed up by a much older man, is probably going to make her uncomfortable or scared. Can we justify scaring a kid by saying its natural for guys to look? I want to emphasize that this won't make all young girls feel frightened, but for the ones it does, is it worth it?
Declaring your own victory is a bit like laughing at your own jokes. And I did respond to you. You've ignored it which, by your logic, means I win! Yay for me!

No you haven't.

2015-10-10-143922_1366x768_scrot.png

(P.S. which means you lose. :smile: :laugh:)
Original post by XcitingStuart

That'd make sense.

Did you say something?
Are you aware of the reasons why women don't report harassment?

1. It is unlikely to be taken any further, and in many cases isn't even taken seriously.
2. Women don't like to report workplace harassment because they're worried it will impact on their jobs or they will be labelled "troublemakers".
3. It's not always safe to complain about harassment - simple harassment sometimes leads on to physical or sexual violence.
4. Women don't always realise it's illegal and feel obliged to "keep quiet and put up with it".

All I can say is that I am sincerely envious of your position in life - you have clearly never had to face any form of harassment, nor have you ever been scared walking down the street because you thought somebody was following you, or felt embarrassed when someone wolf-whistled at you in public or barked at you out of a car window, or had to sit on a bus with your bag between you and somebody else because you thought they had wandering hands.

I have had enough of trying to justify something which you are blind to, having never had to deal with any of this yourself. It's like trying to persuade a white, middle-class UKIP politician that racism does in fact exist, or that not all people on benefits are doing it because it's an easy alternative to working.

Way to go though, mocking feminists and Christians with one sweeping statement...

All mythology. How does any of this prove anything? All you've asked for is a massive leap of faith. I don't do faith. I don't do religion. Give me something, you know, real.

Oh, she used white as a pejorative. Racist alert! (hardly surprising). Wait, this means I have 'white privilege', right? i.e., 'white privilege', the best way to shut down all contrary opinion by determining that any and all contrary opinion that I care to offer is merely indicative of my 'privilege' and thus invalid.

Feminists are jut so tolerant of contrary opinion, eh? I don't believe in your faith-based assumptions, therefore I'm the precise definition of an imagined identity you have manufactured on my behalf to invalidate my every single response.

It's mental. It's mythological (just as mythological as claiming to speak on behalf of 'all women'). And it is religious. It requires faith.

Ah, the 'walking down the street' debate. Do you think I haven't been afraid walking down the street at night? While consumed by your mythological universe, you do realise men are, according to the national crime statistics, twice as likely to be the victim of a violent crime, right?

They are also 66% of all homicide victims.
(edited 8 years ago)

I haven't said that all women are opposed to sexual objectification etc. I just replied to you're comment because in my opinion a girl who has shared an experience with other people is more qualified to generalize her feelings regarding what happened with the people that have also gone through it, than you, using an article and you're view, when you have not experienced what she has. At the end of the day,My point comes back to the fact that a young girl, a child, being eyed up by a much older man, is probably going to make her uncomfortable or scared. Can we justify scaring a kid by saying its natural for guys to look? I want to emphasize that this won't make all young girls feel frightened, but for the ones it does, is it worth it?
Original post by chantalc
I have as much right to think that I am right as you are to think your views are right too.

That depends on whether the sentiment is shared by @TheCitizenAct.

LuLu is a sexist piece of junk which actually made me throw up a little when I first heard about it. I actually happen to agree with your first paragraph.

Yes, because 50,000+ women are totally making these things up. You do realise that, as this is a societal problem, the only way in which it can be highlighted is through empirical evidence? It's not exactly measurable through statistics, any more so than racial harassment can be easily studied through anything other than anecdotes. Maybe you should ask some of your female friends / relatives if they've ever been affected by sexism. You might be surprised by their responses.

You've clearly never read the Everyday Sexism Project, or you might have found Laura Bate's wonderful commentary on how men are affected by sexism too. Again, this displays an alarming propensity by anti-feminists to cherry-pick their arguments...

Some very good points being made here.

You have to also remember that feminism is a means to an end for many people.
And a bit like "the gay community", those who identify as gay and what not, feminists aren't a homogeneous group, though I sometimes in jest disagree with them semantically. You have to distinctly remember that.

You are doing with feminists what you think feminists do with women.

PRSOM. :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending