The Student Room Group

Conflicted - Great progress in career vs ghosts of past.

In brief, I am doing very well with my career at 24. Surreal really, in terms of the scale of what I am doing. I could be saving my first 3 quarters of a million for my company this month and that could be more. My director now brings me along to sit meetings with my CIO. People don't know this in real life as I prefer confidentiality, they assume I have just disappeared. But understandably, because of the opportunities/and some engineered luck, I am putting my utmost effort in making a success out of my endeavours.

I have also decided to live long term with my parents to save up. I also want to get to Oxford for postgrad to honour my best friend who died in Christmas 2013. I want to choose Balliol, his college.

Despite being very driven and clear with my goals on these fronts, I am still really quite restless and conflicted. To get to where I am, I have had to forget people and 'delete' them from my life, I have been ruthless when hurt in the past with relationships. I've had friends and girls cut out from my life in this way and over the years its just built up this cynicism in me to not really trust people. As soon as I believe girls are showing too much ego and being difficult, I tend to cut them out no matter how great they originally seemed to be.

Whilst this is good in the long run, It really has also made me wonder at times what happened to these people. My life is progressing well but it often feels strange to think that for example some of the girls I was with are apparently engaged/moved in with their partners/having kids.

It also makes me want to be honest with myself, that I did throw myself into my career because I was too disappointed with my relationships (mentally it does catch up with you) and wanted to detach myself from that. I am also aware though that this path of endlessly dating and being disappointed is what the path was meant to be for me.

P.s. To cut any ambiguity, yes it would be nice to find someone that I get along with and where things can last.
(edited 8 years ago)
"To get to where I am, I have had to forget people and 'delete' them from my life". How so? Obviously I don't know the situation but it sounds a bit like you're using your career/academic goals and achievements as an excuse for potential social problems
Reply 2
Original post by leinad2012
"To get to where I am, I have had to forget people and 'delete' them from my life". How so? Obviously I don't know the situation but it sounds a bit like you're using your career/academic goals and achievements as an excuse for potential social problems

I came from not a very well off background in England, half of my family came to England as a result of a Communist purge. I dated girls in the past who did not have the same life goals and (admittedly big) ambitions that I have.

Or at least that is what I tell myself. In reality, my relationships just failed (with girls from various backgrounds not just my original one). I just tend to cut them out first when I see for example that they are not too bothered about me, self preserving my ego really. It is cynical because it removes their ability to ultimately do the dumping and rejecting, but inside I know that I would have been on the receiving end of dumping and rejecting anyway.

I don't have social problems really, I get along well with what few friends I have (I don't do fake friends). I am just seemingly incapable of forming well meaning and healthy relationships with women.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
I came from not a very well off background in England, half of my family came to England as a result of a Communist purge. I dated girls in the past who did not have the same life goals and (admittedly big) ambitions that I have.

Or at least that is what I tell myself. In reality, my relationships just failed (with girls from various backgrounds not just my original one). I just tend to cut them out first when I see for example that they are not too bothered about me, self preserving my ego really. It is cynical because it removes their ability to ultimately do the dumping and rejecting, but inside I know that I would have been on the receiving end of dumping and rejecting anyway.

I don't have social problems really, I get along well with what few friends I have (I don't do fake friends). I am just seemingly incapable of forming well meaning and healthy relationships with women.

I get where you're coming from, it's easier to ditch any relationships you think aren't going well on the other end to avoid the confidence drop so that your ego is maintained. I guess it's learning to trust other people really. You live in a big city don't you? Part of me would suggest dating websites but they're arguably a lot more egotistic than the people you meet in day to day life (as in lots of people view them as an efficient way of finding "the one", high market supply meaning that if you don't think the person you're with is perfect you can ditch and move onto the next quite happily). Having said that my brothers been in a relationship with someone he met on a dating website for about a year and they've moved in together so it obviously does happen a lot.

Maybe chill a bit? I mean, you're 24 not 35 it's not like most career orientated people are going to be engaged at your age, you probably think you're missing out on something you don't even really want (do you want to be engaged and have a kid at 24)? This is probably something that'll get frowned on by the normal relationship forum people but if you're worried about being rejected perhaps play the field and have 2 or 3 girls casually going at once, that way if one or 2 reject you after the first few weeks, then who cares?
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
In brief, I am doing very well with my career at 24. Surreal really, in terms of the scale of what I am doing. I could be saving my first 3 quarters of a million for my company this month and that could be more. My director now brings me along to sit meetings with my CIO. People don't know this in real life as I prefer confidentiality, they assume I have just disappeared. But understandably, because of the opportunities/and some engineered luck, I am putting my utmost effort in making a success out of my endeavours.

I have also decided to live long term with my parents to save up. I also want to get to Oxford for postgrad to honour my best friend who died in Christmas 2013. I want to choose Balliol, his college.

Despite being very driven and clear with my goals on these fronts, I am still really quite restless and conflicted. To get to where I am, I have had to forget people and 'delete' them from my life, I have been ruthless when hurt in the past with relationships. I've had friends and girls cut out from my life in this way and over the years its just built up this cynicism in me to not really trust people. As soon as I believe girls are showing too much ego and being difficult, I tend to cut them out no matter how great they originally seemed to be.

Whilst this is good in the long run, It really has also made me wonder at times what happened to these people. My life is progressing well but it often feels strange to think that for example some of the girls I was with are apparently engaged/moved in with their partners/having kids.

It also makes me want to be honest with myself, that I did throw myself into my career because I was too disappointed with my relationships (mentally it does catch up with you) and wanted to detach myself from that. I am also aware though that this path of endlessly dating and being disappointed is what the path was meant to be for me.

P.s. To cut any ambiguity, yes it would be nice to find someone that I get along with and where things can last.

Your career your ambitions, your success: these are paramount. These represent power; and power must be seized at all costs. Eliminate the weak, and those things that distract you from them. Put them to the sword and do not second guess yourself. When you have a powerful career; women will swarm to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending