The Student Room Group

Muslim woman divorced on Whatsapp

A Muslim woman in India has been divorced after a month on the web under the talaq system.

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Religion of peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why does it make a difference that she's Muslim? She got divorced...ok.
Original post by phoenixsilver
Religion of peace.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is getting so cliche, what you wrote is irrelevant to the thread.

This is divorce, not a beheading of a Kafir.:colonhash:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
The west really need to intervene imo.

What's next? A Muslim will drive in to a no entry road?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What's the big news again?
Reply 6
Original post by HAnwar
What's the big news again?

The western point of view that I'm guessing OP is trying to use as a hammer on this occasion is the seeming complete absence of rights on behalf of the woman in these situations. That the husband can just say "I'm divorcing you" and its official, but that the wife has an almost impossibly difficult process to go through if she wants the same.
Reply 7
Original post by generallee
A Muslim woman in India has been divorced after a month on the web under the talaq system.

Thoughts?

SO WHAAT? There are more than 7 billion people in this world and I bet the same thing has happened before or will happen to a Christian, Jewish, atheist etc women around the world but has not been broadcasted. What's the big deal?

If anything a Muslim does, that's unbelievable ... But when any other person from another religion does the same thing it's no big deal, we are all humans, and we all mistakes. For goodness' sake!!
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
The western point of view that I'm guessing OP is trying to use as a hammer on this occasion is the seeming complete absence of rights on behalf of the woman in these situations. That the husband can just say "I'm divorcing you" and its official, but that the wife has an almost impossibly difficult process to go through if she wants the same.

Not true.
Another repulsive situation where religious doctrine puts it's fingers into the law. This is what happens when you try to appease religions into government rather than separating them like in the west.

If he wanted a divorce he should have been forced to follow the same procedure like a Buddhist or Hindu in India.
Divorce has to happen in person. Not via text. :lol:
So this has only become a story cause she's Muslim? Haha either way, muslim or not, that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I was told by one of my friends divorce in Islam requires witnesses and a court, so you can't use whatsapp...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by That's so mean:(
This is getting so cliche, what you wrote is irrelevant to the thread.

This is divorce, not a beheading of a Kafir.:colonhash:

He writes that on most thread. It's like his signature statement
Original post by XXKing
SO WHAAT? There are more than 7 billion people in this world and I bet the same thing has happened before or will happen to a Christian, Jewish, atheist etc women around the world but has not been broadcasted.

No. That's the point, that it almost exclusively can happen to Muslims. That is what happens when you introduce religious doctrine into laws rather than eliminating it completely.

You can't go around getting a divorce over whatsapp as an Atheist, Christian, or Jew in India.
Reply 15
Original post by Fango_Jett
No. That's the point, that it almost exclusively can happen to Muslims. That is what happens when you introduce religious doctrine into laws rather than eliminating it completely.

You can't go around getting a divorce over whatsapp as an Atheist, Christian, or Jew in India.

They wouldn't be legally divorced though, only religiously. Honestly, not seeing what your point is mate. You can't accept that people do things differently? Isn't it arrogant to believe that the western way is the ONLY way, especially when it's so flawed :h:
Original post by queen-bee
He writes that on most thread. It's like his signature statement

"signature statement":lol: Is that how he identifies himself on these threads?

It's just redundant, as it serves no purpose on this thread.
Original post by That's so mean:(
"signature statement":lol: Is that how he identifies himself on these threads?

It's just redundant, as it serves no purpose on this thread.

Yeah. He says that on any thread that's Arab or Muslim related or involves refugees doing something etc
Original post by Lulu24
They wouldn't be legally divorced though, only religiously. Honestly, not seeing what your point is mate. You can't accept that people do things differently? Isn't it arrogant to believe that the western way is the ONLY way, especially when it's so flawed :h:

The west do things differently? If even Pakistan and Bangladesh have banned it, then it tells you how bad it is. Religious doctrine, especially wholly sexist and discriminatory ones, have no place in the legal system of a secular country.
Original post by Lulu24

I believe that in some Muslim states (eg Saudi Arabia?) this IS the law. I imagine in Afganistan under the Taliban, and the Islamic State it is legal also.

You are right though, a system that allows a man to divorce his wife by sending her a text saying I divorce you three times (without allowing the wife the same right) is different.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending