The Student Room Group

Past historic for MLAT?

I'm currently revising for the Oxford Modern Languages Aptitude Test and have come across the past historic in my grammar book, does anyone know if it could come up in the test? We don't cover it at all or a level and therefore I think it would be unlikely, just want to check (I only knew vaguely of it before and it's time consuming to teach yourself a whole tense with so many irregulars when the passé composé can serve the same function)
You don't need to know past historic, they will only test us on what is covered at A Level
Original post by cakeislife
I'm currently revising for the Oxford Modern Languages Aptitude Test and have come across the past historic in my grammar book, does anyone know if it could come up in the test? We don't cover it at all or a level and therefore I think it would be unlikely, just want to check (I only knew vaguely of it before and it's time consuming to teach yourself a whole tense with so many irregulars when the passé composé can serve the same function)

You won't be tested on it for the MLAT. Do learn it at some point though as for prose compositions once you're at uni you're expected to be able to use it appropriately.

Quick Reply