The Student Room Group

Economics Masters in Europe

Hi,

I'm a final year economics student at warwick, looking to apply for masters courses soon and looking for some advice on where I should be looking at in Europe in terms of the most prestigious institutions. Relevant info:
- Academically, my application is strong (high first achieved in both first and second years)
- My main areas of interest are development econ, environmental econ, international econ. However, I do genuinely enjoy most areas of economics that I've studied so am quite flexible on course content if somewhere has the right course quality, lifestyle and financial feasibility.
- I'm not really interested in a phd; I'm interested in econ consulting, work in international institutions or government,
- Finances are a major factor. Self-funding is not possible for me in most places and I'm also ineligible for many scholarships/grants that I've looked at based on socioeconomic data.

Places I'm looking at right now:

1) UK (fully contingent on postgraduate loans actually being rolled out next year, might not even be financially feasible then):
- Cambridge
- LSE (environmental econ masters)
- UCL (environmental econ masters)

2) Netherlands (cheap one year courses in a country and culture that I love, tuition fee loan potentially available from Dutch government)
- UvA
- Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Tilburg

3) Other
- SSE (no fees but 2 years of expensive living costs)
- Universidad Carlos III Madrid (Erasmus+ masters loans are available in Spain only for now and could help me fund this)
- ???

Where else should I be looking? I'm finding it quite difficult to work out which schools have the best international reputation. Any advice on funding study (whether its general or specific to a particular country or university) would also be very much appreciated. I'm keeping a close eye out for updates on Erasmus+ masters loans.

Many thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Most are two year master's.
Toulouse: Very strong in micro and industrial econ, moderate living cost
Paris School of Econ: The development and analysis tracks are interesting for you. Tuition at both unis: €250-500 a year.

UC Louvain: Good reputation in macro and development. €1000 a year.

SSE is good.

Barcelona Grad School of Economics BGSE: 1 year course. €10000 tuition, but scholarships available.
Carlos III Madrid: The Erasmus scholarship option would solve your funding problem. The EPOG scheme with Development track has funding, too.

I recall some fancy announcement that the Erasmus+ masters loan programme will be launched in 2015, but I can't find UK banking partners. The terms are good, is it still on? Good luck
Reply 2
In addition to the above, you should also consider ECARES/ULB and CEMFI. Both are very good universities. ULB does not offer funding for their MSc programmes but costs are non-existent; you simply have to pay for living. CEMFI does have scholarships and also would benefit from the Erasmus+ loan like Carlos III does.
Original post by PTA
Hi,

I'm a final year economics student at UCL, looking to apply for masters courses soon and looking for some advice on where I should be looking at in Europe in terms of the most prestigious institutions. Relevant info:
- Academically, my application is strong (high first achieved in both first and second years)
- My main areas of interest are development econ, environmental econ, international econ. However, I do genuinely enjoy most areas of economics that I've studied so am quite flexible on course content if somewhere has the right course quality, lifestyle and financial feasibility.
- I'm not really interested in a phd; I'm interested in econ consulting, work in international institutions or government,
- Finances are a major factor. Self-funding is not possible for me in most places and I'm also ineligible for many scholarships/grants that I've looked at based on socioeconomic data.

Places I'm looking at right now:

1) UK (fully contingent on postgraduate loans actually being rolled out next year, might not even be financially feasible then):
- Cambridge
- LSE (environmental econ masters)
- UCL (environmental econ masters)

2) Netherlands (cheap one year courses in a country and culture that I love, tuition fee loan potentially available from Dutch government)
- UvA
- Erasmus University Rotterdam
- Tilburg

3) Other
- SSE (no fees but 2 years of expensive living costs)
- Universidad Carlos III Madrid (Erasmus+ masters loans are available in Spain only for now and could help me fund this)
- ???

Where else should I be looking? I'm finding it quite difficult to work out which schools have the best international reputation. Any advice on funding study (whether its general or specific to a particular country or university) would also be very much appreciated. I'm keeping a close eye out for updates on Erasmus+ masters loans.

Many thanks!

I can help with any questions regarding studying in the Netherlands. If you're under the age of 30 you can apply for finance for your tuition fee. For unbiased student feedback you can check our stexx.eu - which is a student review website. It might also be worth researching institutions which are accreddited by EQUIS and AACSB.

FYI the University of Groningen is part of the top 1% business schools in the world :smile:
Copenhagen Business School (CBS) has a good reputation in Northern Europe and the fees will be free
Original post by EconomistJack
Copenhagen Business School (CBS) has a good reputation in Northern Europe and the fees will be free

Do you have any personal experiences with CBS? Any tips for someone who is currently applying for a masters there?
Original post by SeamanDemon
Do you have any personal experiences with CBS? Any tips for someone who is currently applying for a masters there?

Yeah I'm also interested in this place. Is it quite hard to get in due to being free fees?

Cheers
Original post by pot noodle
Yeah I'm also interested in this place. Is it quite hard to get in due to being free fees?

Cheers

I heard it is hard to get in to, but I haver heard a reason for it. People, in general, say it is hard to get in to. One person said it is hard due to very specific entry requirements.

Do you know anything about what they require in marks and grades? I have 2.1, but I do not know if that is high enough.
HI!
I am in your exact same position right not, I am not going to apply in the UK, since after Brexit I'm not sure what impacts the tuition fees will have.
I wanted to ask you in the end how you chose what to do and if you managed to get more information about the different university or specific courses.
My list of university is very similar to this one, but I am struggling finding info from students about the actual masters themselves, if worth it or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending