The Student Room Group

Religious theodicies? (St.Augustine)

is anyone willing to discuss strengths and weaknesses of theodicies such as St.Augustine?

this is partly educational/partly just for own arguments.

I see positives i.e. it gives explanations for moral evil, and negatives i.e. he took genesis literally which cannot be translated to modern society.

but what else could there be? other theodicy arguments are also helpful if anyone knows of any - e.g. ireneaus :smile:

Happy to discuss:smile:
I personally like Irenaeus's theodicy - he takes a far more optimistic, progressive view of human nature than St Augustine.

On the other hand, Irenaeus doesn't use a traditional interpretation of scripture and whilst the idea of hell seems to contradict the idea of an omnibenevolent God, the idea that "everyone's in - no matter how bad you were" doesn't quite sit well with me.
Do you guys support the idea of god or are you just debating his work from a scholarly pov?
Interesting - pointing again to a video by NT Wright on Hell and if it even exists - it taught me an interesting view by the Greek Orthodox Church on the matter.
Reply 4
Original post by steeplings
Do you guys support the idea of god or are you just debating his work from a scholarly pov?

For me personally, it is a scholarly argument - i don't dispute anyone's beliefs i find them intriguing - but from what i study and how it can be used across other sectors of life i am just going purely for the arguments people put in support or to oppose his traditional views.
Reply 5
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I personally like Irenaeus's theodicy - he takes a far more optimistic, progressive view of human nature than St Augustine.

On the other hand, Irenaeus doesn't use a traditional interpretation of scripture and whilst the idea of hell seems to contradict the idea of an omnibenevolent God, the idea that "everyone's in - no matter how bad you were" doesn't quite sit well with me.

I prerefer irenaeus! unfortunately i have an essay to do on Augustine though - do you think i should make comparisons?

the question is very open it's simply to argue st.augustines theodicy
Original post by ambergraver
I prerefer irenaeus! unfortunately i have an essay to do on Augustine though - do you think i should make comparisons?

the question is very open it's simply to argue st.augustines theodicy

Yes! You should definitely get Irenaeus in there, as you'll need plenty of evaluation and criticisms. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest