The Student Room Group

Which A levels?

Hi,

I'm in year 11 and I'm trying to choose my A-levels. I want to do a degree in some sort of alternative healthcare e.g. Optometry, radiography, physiology, anything interesting and helping people, however my dream job is to be a counselling psychologist.

My best subjects are English and History however they are obviously not going to get me where I want to be, however, I am also quite (although not as) good in science and Maths (except chemistry!). I am not interested in languages.

So, I was thinking...
Biology
Maths
Physics
English literature

But then I discovered my sixth form college only lets us do three a levels, since they are now linear, so, should I do Bio, maths and physics and risk getting worse grades or should I do bio, maths and English lit? I really want to get three As to get into my chosen uni. Most of the degrees I want to do require two sciences (including maths) but three looks better and keeps my options open. I would enjoy English more and it would allow me to do a humanities degree if I changed my mind...

Sorry if that was a bit long. Thank you :smile:
Don't worry about it being long. :smile: It's important to choose the right A levels, especially with the new system in which AS levels no longer count halfway towards the full A level. Have you started looking at any universities/university courses yet? If you haven't already, go to some open days early. The universities don't mind it because and it shows initiative, as well as giving you a clearer indication on which subjects to take.

I don't know of the exact requirements for optometry, radiology, etc. so I am going to work off the assumption that the requirements are similar to medicine.

Maths: definitely do this. It does not matter which course you do, maths is usually looked on favourably due to the reputation of the subject.
Biology/physics: these are also really goods subjects to do. If you are going to choose just one of them, biology might be better for what you are going for, but it's up to you.

Unfortunately for you, many medicine related courses including dentistry (and I think vet med as well) require chemistry A level. You'll have to look at the university specs to make sure that you don't exclude yourself from the courses that you want to do by not taking it.

As for taking humanities degrees if you change your mind, a few of them do not require specific subjects studies to A level but rather the grades (law, for example). I suppose you would need English Lit if you were going to study an English degree, but personally I would focus more on the science subjects.

Some advice for AS/A levels: The content is a bit more complicated than GCSEs, but do not let them tell you it is difficult. It will become clear when it is explained, and sometimes the subjects will take a bit of time to come together but you will get it. In my school, from the onset we were told how hard it was going to be (despite their advertisement of the growth mindset mentality). At that point, I think, some people started using it as an excuse, so don't let it become one.

Hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much, that was really helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest