The Student Room Group

Gay people of tsr

Now I would like to ask a few questions, that will help me get a better understanding of homosexuality as a whole.
At what age did you realise that you're a homosexual?
Did you embrace your homosexuality, or did you, or do you hate it?
If you had the choice, would you rather be straight?
What does it feel like to be a homosexual?

Scroll to see replies

@driftawaay

She may help.
1. In Year 10, when someone asked me what I look for in a woman, and I struggled to find an answer.
2. I didn't exactly "embrace" it, but I don't hate it either.
3. No.
4. How do you feel about people of the opposite sex to you? It's pretty much the same for me, except with the same sex, not the opposite sex. And before you ask, no, I don't find this person or that person attractive. I don't find every member of the same sex attractive, just as you probably don't find every member of the opposite sex attractive.
I came to this thread because I am a very happy person.

Spoiler

Original post by Blue_Mason
Now I would like to ask a few questions, that will help me get a better understanding of homosexuality as a whole.

I realized I was the 'label' homosexual when I was 12, but I already knew I liked girls and had sexual thoughts about them since I was 9. I just didn't know it was possible for people to like the same sex so I didn't know I was gay.

When I realized I was gay at 12, I didn't have any problems with it at all, I guess that's because I generally find most people are stupid and have never cared about other people's opinions. I always knew there is nothing wrong with me, there is something wrong with those who are homophobic. But some people are way more eager to 'fit in' and don't think independently and hence believe that it is wrong to be gay. I was surprised when I realized that I was gay because I didn't know anyone else who was and back then there weren't gay couples on TV etc so I felt very alone and I was convinced that I was the only gay in the village and I knew that my life was going to be harder, but despite all this I didn't think of it negatively, it just felt normal to me and I knew that I can still grow up and find someone and have a family and live a normal life no matter what anyone thinks.

So no, I would never be straight, I would be a completely different person if I wasn't gay. I think when people finally accept that they are gay they realize that it is a blessing to be gay. It has made me realize so many things about the world and it has made me very sensitive to discrimination against minorities, I don't think I would be as passionate about that if I wasn't gay and didn't know what it felt like to be thought of as 'different' by idiots.

As for how it feels to be homosexual, well, it doesn't really feel like anything, it's just me.:u:
I'm more curious about bisexuals. I just always assumed they appreciate pleasure in all forms and was too scared to ask.

I realised properly when I was about 7 but I recognised things I had experienced or found when I was around 4 or 5 were explainable by the identity I later discovered.

I wouldn't say I embraced it but I was more like, "hey ho... this is me, cool, moving on" but then people's responses sent me down a different path that eventually lead to my resentment of the fact I was gay.

Yes.

I don't really see how I can answer this because to me it is normal. It is all I have known and it is my version of normality, even though I absolutely abhor the use of the word normal with issues like this. It's generally the responses and actions of others that make your life either harder or easier as a result of being gay.

Original post by duckd0nald
1. In Year 10, when someone asked me what I look for in a woman, and I struggled to find an answer.
2. I didn't exactly "embrace" it, but I don't hate it either.
3. No.
4. How do you feel about people of the opposite sex to you? It's pretty much the same for me, except with the same sex, not the opposite sex. And before you ask, no, I don't find this person or that person attractive. I don't find every member of the same sex attractive, just as you probably don't find every member of the opposite sex attractive.

What was it like growing up? Did you lie about it to family and friends? When you came out how did people react?
Reply 8
I am bisexual.

A) I think on the verge of 15/16 I started realising I had an interest in guys so went 'bicurious' for a while, then by like 16.5 I labelled self as bi. However my sexuality changed like 2 more times over 3 years as I was always really confused. I think sometime when I was 18.5 I decided to stick with bisexual :tongue:

B) Did I embrace it hmm. I found it pretty weird at first and was slightly worried but I kinda just went with it, 'cause school was over I didn't really worry as I expected people to be more grown up now [they were] so I just yeah accepted it and went on with my life as normal haha.

C) No, I enjoy being available to straight + bi females, and gay + bi men 8-).

D) It feels the same as if I was straight. Honestly I don't really ever give my sexuality much thought, it hasn't been a majorr factor of my life and besides the handful of stupid "oh bisexuality doesn't exist" comments I've never really had any hate over it. I don't consider my sexuality as defining me and I'm very comfortable with who I am :tongue:
Original post by Sesshomaru24U
What was it like growing up? Did you lie about it to family and friends? When you came out how did people react?

Actually, my family and close friends were quite supportive when I came out to them after I took some time to think about the issue, and I did not think at the time to lie about it. In general, people were surprised (probably given that I was a quiet person at school) and curious (guys at my school asked me questions like "what would you rate me out of 10???", others asked me if I liked a certain celebrity etc. etc.) to hear that I was gay, though there were some less pleasant reactions, but I did not pay much attention to them. I recall someone saying to me that I'll still be the same me, even if I am gay. Nowadays, nobody really cares about me being gay, though, and I'm not the kind of person who goes around saying "LOOK AT ME! I'M GAY EVERYONE! AND DID I MENTION I WAS GAY?!"
Original post by duckd0nald
Actually, my family and close friends were quite supportive when I came out to them after I took some time to think about the issue, and I did not think at the time to lie about it. In general, people were surprised (probably given that I was a quiet person at school) and curious (guys at my school asked me questions like "what would you rate me out of 10???", others asked me if I liked a certain celebrity etc. etc.) to hear that I was gay, though there were some less pleasant reactions, but I did not pay much attention to them. I recall someone saying to me that I'll still be the same me, even if I am gay. Nowadays, nobody really cares about me being gay, though, and I'm not the kind of person who goes around saying "LOOK AT ME! I'M GAY EVERYONE! AND DID I MENTION I WAS GAY?!"

Where did you grow up?
Where did you grow up?

London, which I suppose is not really a socially conservative area of the UK. Even so, it's not like everyone around me was a bastion of tolerance and happiness; there were still some people who found that me being gay wasn't exactly the best thing ever, though they mostly kept their thoughts to themselves. I can only imagine what it would be like coming out to less tolerant parents, or in a more socially conservative area of the world.
Original post by driftawaay

As for how it feels to be homosexual, well, it doesn't really feel like anything, it's just me.:u:

How was school for you? Did your family accept it? How do you get with other people? Gay clubs?
How was school for you? Did your family accept it? How do you get with other people? Gay clubs?

School was fine, but all my friends who were in high school with me were the ones I had already known since elementary school so they always kind of knew that I wasn't interested in guys, I never even had to tell them I was gay, they always knew. But when I was in elementary school, sometimes even classmates that I wasn't even close to asked me if I was a lesbian because I was always gushing about girls, and this was before I knew I was gay. I always said no and I seriously didnt know I was gay, they knew it before I did

As for my parents, well my mom started askimg me whether I was a lesbian when I was around 11. For the same reason, I was always too interested in girls. She told me once that I had actually told her that I was a lesbian when I was little. So because of these factors she would randomly ask all the time like: are you a lesbian? promise me you wont become a lesbian. lol But my family accept it now.

I dont go to clubs, I have mostly randomly met girls through other gay friends, i guess its like a network. lol. And somehow everyone I became friends with at uni turned out to be gay, which is really strange because we didnt meet through the LGBT soc or anything. For example when a girl asked me in my first week whether I liked a guy, I told her I was gay and she said she is bi and then her friend whose a boy also admitted later that day that he is a closet bisexual. and those were the first people I became close to at uni. I honestly believe that gay people attract each other.:colondollar:

1. Like 11 or something lmao but quite a young age.
2. I don't really care about embracing it because it's just natural feelings for me
3. Haha, no. (However, it would be easier tbh)
4. My male friends look at girls and are like she's hot. My female friends loom at boys who are hot and I agree (sometimes)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15

I kind of always knew, subconsciously almost. Hmm I didn't really 'like' it in high school because I got bullied and harassed and stuff a lot, for that very reason.
But no, wouldn't want to be straight, it would be strange... It doesn't feel like anything.. it's just the way it is.
Original post by driftawaay
School was fine, but all my friends who were in high school with me were the ones I had already known since elementary school so they always kind of knew that I wasn't interested in guys, I never even had to tell them I was gay, they always knew. But when I was in elementary school, sometimes even classmates that I wasn't even close to asked me if I was a lesbian because I was always gushing about girls, and this was before I knew I was gay. I always said no and I seriously didnt know I was gay, they knew it before I did

As for my parents, well my mom started askimg me whether I was a lesbian when I was around 11. For the same reason, I was always too interested in girls. She told me once that I had actually told her that I was a lesbian when I was little. So because of these factors she would randomly ask all the time like: are you a lesbian? promise me you wont become a lesbian. lol But my family accept it now.

I dont go to clubs, I have mostly randomly met girls through other gay friends, i guess its like a network. lol. And somehow everyone I became friends with at uni turned out to be gay, which is really strange because we didnt meet through the LGBT soc or anything. For example when a girl asked me in my first week whether I liked a guy, I told her I was gay and she said she is bi and then her friend whose a boy also admitted later that day that he is a closet bisexual. and those were the first people I became close to at uni. I honestly believe that gay people attract each other.:colondollar:

Ever fancy someone who was straight? How'd you deal with it if yes? were you religious at any point? You ever going to have kids? I always assumed most people who were homosexual growing up were treated badly.
Ever fancy someone who was straight? How'd you deal with it if yes? were you religious at any point? You ever going to have kids? I always assumed most people who were homosexual growing up were treated badly.

Omg yes of course I have fancied lots of straight girls, every gay person has unfortunately, lol. :frown: I have been totally infatuated with straight girls and its horrible and painful af. Bane of my life. Esp when I was younger and they had a boyfriend and I just thought ewww and I hated their boyfriend cause I was SO jealous haha.

Never been religious.

I have never wanted kids, in fact I have never liked kids, especially if they are under the age of 4. I would never give birth to a kid as it is not in my nature at all, however I will probably have a kid down the line because my future wife will probably want them, plus what am I gonna do when Im old lol. So I will probably either adopt or my wife will give birth to our children, but thats a very long time from now, like around the age of 40. But I may never have them, at the moment I have no wish to.

Honestly most gay kids growing up never come out until they are older, so they dont get treated badly cause no one knows they're gay. Out of all the gay people I knew growing up, most of them didnt come out until they were like 18, and the ones who were out were the flamboyant boys and everyone knew they were gay since they were in kindergarten and they were made fun of and called a faggot all their lives.
Not sure really, bisexual? pansexual? I'm not opposed to the idea of being with a trans person :dontknow: Labels are confusing so i'm fine without one.
1. When i was 14. I had never thought about it before. I fell in love with my best friend so I guess that's when I figured. But she's straight and stopped being my friend after she found out.
2. I don't really mind at all. It's just another random thing about me. Not something you embrace. It's just how you are.
3. Nah not really. I wouldn't mind either way. But it sucks when you accidentally like someone that doesn't swing that way.
4. It doesn't feel like anything. It doesn't have to feel like 'something'. It's normal. People thinking that it has to feel like something is what makes them think lgbt aren't normal.

Edit: This thread is for homosexuals specifically but I couldn't help myself :ahee:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm asexual - it's not gay by any means, but it's still a sexual minority so I'll answer anyway :smile:

1. It was when I had just turned 15 and I'd never really thought about it before - if anything I just assumed I was straight I guess - but about that time I was starting to kind of wonder why I wasn't feeling 'attracted' to girls like everyone else, and I even thought I might be gay for a while, but I didn't feel attracted to guys either, so I was really in a muddle - at that point I'd never heard of asexuality. Then just by chance my biology teacher told the class to research homosexuality, and while I was doing that I went off on a bit of a tangent, ended up on the AVEN asexuality website out of curiosity and there was a list of criteria for being asexual which literally fitted me perfectly, and that was that.

2. It's just a part of who I am tbh and I can't really change that so I just accept it tbh.

3. Meh. In some ways yes and in some ways no. On one hand it's not well-known at all and my family still haven't really got to grips with it, so I still get comments like 'when you have a wife and kids you'll do this, this and this' and a lot of people tell me that there's something wrong with me/I have a hormone disorder(which isn't true) when they find out, which is really annoying, but on the other hand I don't see a pretty girl and immediately think 'how can I get in her pants'.

4. You know how as a straight person you just wouldn't get with someone of the same gender? It's basically the same thing for me but with both genders:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest