The Student Room Group

Gay people of tsr

Scroll to see replies

Original post by driftawaay
You can come out on TSR!

Guess so, I just don't want some people I know irl to ever find out ;/ I wishhhh I wasn't gay so I hate the thought of coming out or telling everyone yknow
Original post by JD1lla
The person said 'how do you feel about the opposite sex - its the same for me'.

But how can it be the same?

What he said is that he feels the same about the same sex as straight people feel about the opposite sex. Sexual attraction and romantic feelings feel the same regardless of sexual orientation.
Original post by Anonymous
Guess so, I just don't want some people I know irl to ever find out ;/ I wishhhh I wasn't gay so I hate the thought of coming out or telling everyone yknow

It's nice to get support, even if it is online.. if you were to make an account with an untraceable name and use it solely for communicating with other people to get support, I think it would help get things off of your chest. Did for me, anyway.

Coming from another anon.. I feel like such a hypocrite. XD
Original post by Blue_Mason
At what age did you realise that you're a homosexual?
Did you embrace your homosexuality, or did you, or do you hate it?
If you had the choice, would you rather be straight?
What does it feel like to be a homosexual?

(1) Sixteen or seventeen, consciously. Retrospectively, about fourteen.

(2) I accepted it with equanimity, so I suppose that's "embracing".

(3) I would be straight, if such a choice was available to me.

(4) I think my feelings are less dictated by my sexuality than most other aspects of my personality.
Reply 44
What he said is that he feels the same about the same sex as straight people feel about the opposite sex. Sexual attraction and romantic feelings feel the same regardless of sexual orientation.

Ahh I understand.

But it's interesting with people who are attracted to the same sex as them. I find features of the female form attractive because they are unobtainable (unless I get surgery).
The female form is incredibly beautiful. I do not find the male form as compelling because it's what I am. We are always fascinated with what we don't know, or aren't familiar with.

When I would lie down with my ex girlfriend, totally naked in bed, I would spend ages just gently touching her body and her hair (in a non sexual, more curious manner). She'd sit there and ask me what I was thinking about. I never gave her the truth, but I was simply admiring how completely and inconceivably beautiful her and her body was.
Original post by BoogieWoogie97
Educated guess. :lol: How else would being homosexual affect one's behaviour/desires, if not sexually?

Behaviour and desires do not have to be sexual in nature.
Original post by Anonymous
It's nice to get support, even if it is online.. if you were to make an account with an untraceable name and use it solely for communicating with other people to get support, I think it would help get things off of your chest. Did for me, anyway.

Coming from another anon.. I feel like such a hypocrite. XD

Hahaa nah that's nice thanks :smile:)
1) I guess the first inklings I had were age 21 but it took a long time for me to come to the final conclusion that I'm a lesbian, so probably more around 22 or 23.

2) I embrace it to an extent but not as much as others on here/others IRL do. I don't hate it or hate myself for it, though! :nah:

3) Would definitely rather be straight, it'd make life so much easier in many ways

4) Doesn't really feel like anything different, tbh? :dontknow: Maybe that's coz I haven't been in a proper relationship with a woman yet, though :tongue:
They don't but behaviour and desires that are a direct result of one's sexuality do have to be sexual in nature, which is why I asked why you thought things you did when you were four or five were somehow the product of your homosexuality. :tongue:

At the end of the day, I'm not too bothered by it, but that does seem pretty difficult to believe. People at that age are lucky to know which way is up, let alone be concerned with matters of sexuality.

Original post by ivybridge
Behaviour and desires do not have to be sexual in nature.
Original post by JD1lla
I don't think it's as simple as that?

I'm attracted to women precisely because they are so different to me in many aspects.

Unless....this is where the whole butch/flamboyant gay thing comes in.

You find women attractive. I find men attractive. That's what I meant when I said that it's the same for me, just with the same sex.
I suppose some people are attracted to people who are different to themselves. But just because it's same sex attraction doesn't mean that there are no differences between the two lovers. For example, there are many, many male body types (thin, average, built...) as well as personalities and stuff like that. :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by duckd0nald
You find women attractive. I find men attractive. That's what I meant when I said that it's the same for me, just with the same sex.
I suppose some people are attracted to people who are different to themselves. But just because it's same sex attraction doesn't mean that there are no differences between the two lovers. For example, there are many, many male body types (thin, average, built...) as well as personalities and stuff like that. :smile:

Would you find somebody who has the same body type as you attractive?
Original post by JD1lla
Would you find somebody who has the same body type as you attractive?

Perhaps. Though it depends on a wider range of factors, not just body type, like personality and facial appearance.

As for why I prefer men over women... I don't know that, and we'd be here all day trying to find a reason as to why.
Original post by cranbrook_aspie
I'm asexual - it's not gay by any means, but it's still a sexual minority so I'll answer anyway :smile:

1. It was when I had just turned 15 and I'd never really thought about it before - if anything I just assumed I was straight I guess - but about that time I was starting to kind of wonder why I wasn't feeling 'attracted' to girls like everyone else, and I even thought I might be gay for a while, but I didn't feel attracted to guys either, so I was really in a muddle - at that point I'd never heard of asexuality. Then just by chance my biology teacher told the class to research homosexuality, and while I was doing that I went off on a bit of a tangent, ended up on the AVEN asexuality website out of curiosity and there was a list of criteria for being asexual which literally fitted me perfectly, and that was that.

2. It's just a part of who I am tbh and I can't really change that so I just accept it tbh.

3. Meh. In some ways yes and in some ways no. On one hand it's not well-known at all and my family still haven't really got to grips with it, so I still get comments like 'when you have a wife and kids you'll do this, this and this' and a lot of people tell me that there's something wrong with me/I have a hormone disorder(which isn't true) when they find out, which is really annoying, but on the other hand I don't see a pretty girl and immediately think 'how can I get in her pants'.

4. You know how as a straight person you just wouldn't get with someone of the same gender? It's basically the same thing for me but with both genders:smile:

So do attractive people exist in your world? Have you ever tried anything sexual? Will you have kids? What do you do on a average day? What do you want from life?
Omg yes of course I have fancied lots of straight girls, every gay person has unfortunately, lol. :frown: I have been totally infatuated with straight girls and its horrible and painful af. Bane of my life. Esp when I was younger and they had a boyfriend and I just thought ewww and I hated their boyfriend cause I was SO jealous haha.

Never been religious.

I have never wanted kids, in fact I have never liked kids, especially if they are under the age of 4. I would never give birth to a kid as it is not in my nature at all, however I will probably have a kid down the line because my future wife will probably want them, plus what am I gonna do when Im old lol. So I will probably either adopt or my wife will give birth to our children, but thats a very long time from now, like around the age of 40. But I may never have them, at the moment I have no wish to.

Honestly most gay kids growing up never come out until they are older, so they dont get treated badly cause no one knows they're gay. Out of all the gay people I knew growing up, most of them didnt come out until they were like 18, and the ones who were out were the flamboyant boys and everyone knew they were gay since they were in kindergarten and they were made fun of and called a faggot all their lives.

Did they ever realized you fancied them? If people knew you were gay was anyone ever uncomfortable when in the changing rooms with you?

Are you parents not religious? or did they not force a religion on you? Just go travel around the world at 40. Sounds like it would be cool.
They don't but behaviour and desires that are a direct result of one's sexuality do have to be sexual in nature, which is why I asked why you thought things you did when you were four or five were somehow the product of your homosexuality. :tongue:

At the end of the day, I'm not too bothered by it, but that does seem pretty difficult to believe. People at that age are lucky to know which way is up, let alone be concerned with matters of sexuality.

Well, how do they? Noticing you may like someone or something like that doesn't necessarily have to mean sexually. Emotionally, maybe?

What I mean, is I noticed certain things later that had happened earlier. For example, I had this attachment to an older boy in my primary school and I always wanted to be with him and in his teams and so on. Later on, I recognised the link that had to how I felt sexually and emotionally about boys. I never had that connection with girls even though the friends I had were predominantly women.

In all honesty, what you believe and what I know are two very different things. Please do not tell me how I developed and how I felt at a certain age is wrong or a lie. I know much more about myself than you do.
Reply 55
Now I would like to ask a few questions, that will help me get a better understanding of homosexuality as a whole.
What does it feel like to be a homosexual?

1) When I was 13

2) No i did not. It went so far that I tried to commit suicide. However, now I am in a better position and I have accepted myself.

3) Maybe

4) Sometimes problematic but OK I would say
Well, how do they? Noticing you may like someone or something like that doesn't necessarily have to mean sexually. Emotionally, maybe?

What I mean, is I noticed certain things later that had happened earlier. For example, I had this attachment to an older boy in my primary school and I always wanted to be with him and in his teams and so on. Later on, I recognised the link that had to how I felt sexually and emotionally about boys. I never had that connection with girls even though the friends I had were predominantly women.

Emotional attachments have little to do with sexuality - there are plenty of cases of homosexuals who were in love with members of the opposite sex.

The example that immediately comes to mind is that of Freddie Mercury, the Queen singer, and Mary Austin, a woman he dated for years before realising he was bisexual. He maintained that he continued to be in love with her despite by then being in exclusively same-sex relationships and left the bulk of his fortune to her.

So yeah, I think the term I'd use for what you're saying is homoromantic or just coincidence - one can be drawn to somebody else for plenty of reasons and it can be a coincidence that one happens to be drawn only to people who happen to be men.

In all honesty, what you believe and what I know are two very different things. Please do not tell me how I developed and how I felt at a certain age is wrong or a lie. I know much more about myself than you do.

I didn't claim I knew more about you than I did; nor did I tell you how you developed. Nor did I say that what you felt was wrong or a lie... I'm just having a chat. If you can't/don't want to explain something, it's better to just say so rather than accuse the other person of offences he's clearly not committed.

I suppose that's the end of that, since this is apparently a touchy subject... :dontknow:
(edited 8 years ago)
Emotional attachments have little to do with sexuality - there are plenty of cases of homosexuals who were in love with members of the opposite sex. The example that immediately comes to mind is that of Freddie Mercury, the Queen singer, and Mary Austin, a woman he dated for years before realising he was bisexual. He maintained that he continued to be in love with her despite by then being in exclusively same-sex relationships.

So yeah, I think the term I'd use for what you're saying is homoromantic or just coincidence - one can be drawn to somebody else for plenty of reasons and it can be a coincidence that one happens to be drawn only to people who happen to be men.

I didn't claim I knew more about you than I did; nor did I tell you how you developed. I'm just having a chat. If you can't explain something, it's better to just say so rather than accuse the other person of offences he's clearly not committed.

I suppose that's the end of that, since this is apparently a touchy subject... :dontknow:

How can you possibly even plausibly argue that emotional attachment has little to do with sexuality? Of course it does. It all depends on the type of attachment and how you feel. You can't put things like emotions and attraction into a little box and label it - it just doesn't work like that. Ever. With any sexuality.

If Freddie Mercury was bisexual, it is still completely valid that he could have been in love with a woman and also, we're not talking about the process of discovering who you are. I knew quite categorically who I was from a young age. I never had the "confused state" phase.

It comes back to this: sexual orientation is incredibly complex and not limited by any black and white labels humans have stuck on various things. If I am telling you what my experience is and who I am, then you should be able to take that at face value as factual for ME. I'm not saying it is a general rule of thumb that things work that way but that is how it worked for me.

You did. You're rejecting my explanations because you don't believe them, when you have no basis to do so. I can explain my own feelings and my own life, so please stop thinking you are above that because it's quite frankly the worst way to prove you're ignorant as hell.

Yeah, I suppose so too. It's not touchy at all, except for those occasions where somebody tries to tell you your life and the way it has progressed isn't what you know it is at all.
Now I would like to ask a few questions, that will help me get a better understanding of homosexuality as a whole.

Uh. I had my first crush (who was a boy) at 5. But I only realised I was homosexual around the age of 16. I mean I knew I liked those of the same sex through my early teens and childhood but I believed I was straight. I only realised that the gay tenancies were never going to go away around that age.

By the time it became apparent to me I was gay and not a perpetually tormented heterosexual, I'd already left home and had started thinking like a skeptic. I accepted it quite easily. I certainly hated the urges when I was younger though.

I'm not sure. I don't think my life would necessarily be that different if I were straight. I'd basically be the same person except I liked women. I suppose as it seems to be the trend to reward victims, I'd lose some of my special snowflake appeal and I'd also have a wider pool of prospective mates. Interestingly enough, I've always felt that I would make a good boyfriend to a woman but at the same time there are many feminine traits that I see in friends, family members and gfs of male friends that I dislike. So who knows really?
(edited 8 years ago)
How can you possibly even plausibly argue that emotional attachment has little to do with sexuality? Of course it does. It all depends on the type of attachment and how you feel. You can't put things like emotions and attraction into a little box and label it - it just doesn't work like that. Ever. With any sexuality.

If Freddie Mercury was bisexual, it is still completely valid that he could have been in love with a woman and also, we're not talking about the process of discovering who you are. I knew quite categorically who I was from a young age. I never had the "confused state" phase.

That was the point I made - I didn't say it was invalid. Why is that you keep imagining I've said things I haven't? :/

I used that as an example of an instance where somebody who was primarily attracted to men had a strong emotional attachment to a woman - strong enough to refer to her as his 'common law wife' and leave the bulk of his fortune to her.

In saying that emotional attachment has little to do with sexuality, I'm merely making the distinction that you failed to see from the Freddie Mercury example: his sexuality had nothing to do with his emotional attachment to a woman - whether he had the confused phase is irrelevant.

For somebody who thinks things aren't black and white, you have an awfully black and white view when you assert that emotional attachment and sexuality are undeniably linked, despite the counterexample I provided.

It comes back to this: sexual orientation is incredibly complex and not limited by any black and white labels humans have stuck on various things. If I am telling you what my experience is and who I am, then you should be able to take that at face value as factual for ME. I'm not saying it is a general rule of thumb that things work that way but that is how it worked for me.

What you've said about this is largely speculation, given the number of times you've used the word 'maybe' or variants of it to describe it. You consider it to be true, and that's fair enough. But don't try to assert that this is true for everybody - as far as I know, children of that age have no capacity for this sort of thing. To try to turn this simple point into a personal attack on you is a pretty cheap debating tactic and one I'd only ever expect from some loon like TheCitizenAct.

There's also no such thing as 'factual for me.' Facts are facts, regardless of what anybody thinks of it. You're entitled to your opinions and feelings (as we all are), but not to your own facts.

You did. You're rejecting my explanations because you don't believe them, when you have no basis to do so. I can explain my own feelings and my own life, so please stop thinking you are above that because it's quite frankly the worst way to prove you're ignorant as hell.

This is pure self-victimisation. You accused me of the following:

Please do not tell me how I developed and how I felt at a certain age is wrong or a lie. I know much more about myself than you do.

I haven't done those things. If I have, please quote me and/or report the relevant posts for offensiveness.

To add to that, you've now also accused me of thinking that I'm above your explanations; I haven't said I think this. If you have some sort of evidence that I've done this, I'm happy to concede the point if you can link me the relevant post because I certainly have no recollection of ever saying that.

I'm rejecting your general claim that emotional attachment and sexuality are linked in such a way that any attachment felt by a child of that age must somehow be motivated by his or her sexuality. And I do have a basis for it, as explained in this post and others.

Yeah, I suppose so too. It's not touchy at all, except for those occasions where somebody tries to tell you your life and the way it has progressed isn't what you know it is at all.

I haven't done this at all! Jesus, it's staggering how determined you are to turn what could have been a nice conversation into a fight. Look, I'm sorry that you feel persecuted by the slightest questioning of controversial claims that you make, but I'm perfectly entitled to dispute claims that have nothing but assertion to back them.

Simply saying 'of course it is' or 'you did' when asked to prove something is pretty much the equivalent of saying, 'I'm right because I say I'm right.'
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending