The Student Room Group

'Electrosmog' aka Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) and Radiation (EMR) vs. Health

Having recently begun to investigate this topic, and subjectively identified and objectively demonstrated pronounced electro-sensitivity in myself, I have now also created an introductory information portal. Below, exposure to smart meter transmissions (they say "seeing is believing")

Spoiler

This is way beyond the historic tobacco/smoking experience e.g. both in terms of insidious, cumulative/intergenerational harm, as well as efforts by industry (and captured/corrupted politicians/agencies/regulators, by extension) to suppress and undermine related information/discourse. See California Department of Public Health scandal for a real eye opener: we have Western public health authorities suppressing their own health guidance and top politicians/legislators (e.g. previous US Attorney General) literally using corporate interest in their defence!

'Electrosmog', or the Electromagnetic Fields (EMF) and Radiation (EMR), that we, in our infinite wisdom, are bathing ourselves in, pretty much 24/7, across much of the globe (millions of times higher than natural baseline), is emerging as a source of all manner physiological disruptions.

Direct effect: Exposure is associated with the development of the extremely debilitating chronic health condition electro-sensitivity (ES) aka electromagnetic hypersensitivity syndrome (EHS), which was understood to affect between 1.5 - 13.3% of the population of different countries according to the available data in 2015 (hundreds of millions of people, and rising)

Indirect effects: Exposure is also known to contribute to disease processes either directly linked to, or else clearly an unhelpful or 'complicating' source of systemic stress/strain in, a large and growing collection of developmental, sleep, and mental and physical health conditions affecting billions worldwide (e.g. see: autism, exhaustion, depression, allergy/autoimmune, cancer, and dementia, pandemics)

I am posting here to put the concept out there, spread awareness, stimulate debate, and educate and learn from others where possible. It may seem like a load of 'hippy ****' at first glance but truly merits serious consideration, particularly concerning the young, old, and chronically ill (WHO, ICNIRP 2002). With the spread of 4G, smart meters, and soon 5G, across the land, the time to get informed and taken action is now

Radio/microwave frequency transmissions e.g. from mobile and cordless phones, WiFi/'smart' devices and meters, and their respective masts, antennae, and base stations, are toxic, even at reportedly "low" intensities* i.e. hundreds of times lower than current regulatory limits, established decades ago by engineers, NOT biophysicists. Even engineers are now starting to voice major concerns, however

* These levels are considered low compared to guidelines but are millions of times higher than natural levels

I also post knowing I am making myself a target in so doing, just like the brave men and women featured above and the dozens of fellow integrative health practitioners who have died in suspicious circumstances this past year alone. Whatever happens to those of us prepared to warn humanity, the truth will out
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

But but... We are bathed in radiation all the time.

Like, it's what our eyes are for, to detect the radiation we are bathed in by the Sun.

Saying things like "Wi-Fi is radiation" as if that is bad just shows a complete lack of understanding and makes it seem very unscientific. The people/person who made that red poster clearly don't actually understand what radiation is. They seem to have a Simpsons like green glowing poison understanding of radiation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Not being funny but this is one of the last things that people should bother worrying about it's not something you can even plan to avoid unless you lock yourself in a little resistant bubble/roll down the street in one. It's not even worth bothering with it will get us one way or another.
Electromagnetic hypersensitivity: a systematic review of provocation studies.
Rubin GJ1, Das Munshi J, Wessely S.
Author information

Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
The objectives of this study were to assess whether people who report hypersensitivity to weak electromagnetic fields (EMFs) are better at detecting EMF under blind or double-blind conditions than nonhypersensitive individuals, and to test whether they respond to the presence of EMF with increased symptom reporting.
METHODS:
An extensive systematic search was used to identify relevant blind or double-blind provocation studies. This involved searching numerous literature databases and conference proceedings, and examining the citations of reviews and included studies. The results of relevant studies were tabulated and metaanalyses were used to compare the proportions of "hypersensitive" and control participants able to discriminate active from sham EMF exposures.
RESULTS:
Thirty-one experiments testing 725 "electromagnetically hypersensitive" participants were identified. Twenty-four of these found no evidence to support the existence of a biophysical hypersensitivity, whereas 7 reported some supporting evidence. For 2 of these 7, the same research groups subsequently tried and failed to replicate their findings. In 3 more, the positive results appear to be statistical artefacts. The final 2 studies gave mutually incompatible results. Our metaanalyses found no evidence of an improved ability to detect EMF in "hypersensitive" participants.
CONCLUSIONS:
The symptoms described by "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" sufferers can be severe and are sometimes disabling. However, it has proved difficult to show under blind conditions that exposure to EMF can trigger these symptoms. This suggests that "electromagnetic hypersensitivity" is unrelated to the presence of EMF, although more research into this phenomenon is required.

I will add that I do believe symptoms of hypersensitivity can be very problematic for sufferers and more research could be done. I do not doubt that our electrical usage and whatnot might have health consequences but I think EHS is more in line with a psychosomatic/nocebo condition. It is probably a culture-bound syndrome of some sorts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
I have just created a webpage, and may well go on to found/join a related charity,

Will your charity give welders like me free money? I think it should.
there is only 1 way to protect urself

Original post by Foo.mp3
You appear to have conflated solar radiation with anthropogenic microwave radiation. Both are forms of radiation, yes. The sun also involves nuclear radiation; does that mean we should willingly bathe ourselves in man-made equivalent radiation too? No

I dunno. I don't see the comparative harm of switching on a light bulb for example. But I wouldn't sit in a giant microwave cooker, sure.
Original post by Foo.mp3
It's to be focused primarily on the effects of digital communications tech (mis)use, with efforts initially centred on awareness raising - rather than providing direct pecuniary support, so probably not I'm afraid, sorry :console:

That's whack IMO. You're basically saying that my mobile phone has more EMF than a 415v machine that is literally electric enough to melt steel beams.
Original post by Foo.mp3
You'll find your 415v machine is not designed to emit microwaves :dunce: (different EMF and EMR properties at differing frequencies)

fascinating
Original post by Foo.mp3
That would be funny, were it not for the fact that this is a major, insidious public health issue that has already diminished the health/ruined the lives of many people the world over (possibly into the tens of millions)

Except it's a load of Luddite nonsense with no evidence to suggest any sort of sensitivity to wifi and phone networks, so it's neither insidious, nor major, it's just a rather strange example of the nocebo effect and how gullible people can be.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Somewhat interesting, if also somewhat unfortunate e.g. when you consider that comparatively little wattage is required in order to effect insidious psychological effects with chronic exposure (to radiation falling within these distinct frequency bands) :erm:

Don't watch so much TV then.
This video explains electro-sensitivity very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2hO4_UEe-4
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Foo.mp3
See my other posts in this thread FYI. Btw, I know someone who briefly cleaned a microwave that was left on and now has CRPS and has had to undergo spinal implant (electromagnetic pulse) surgery just to help make life bearable for her. Microwave radiation is seriously harmful - hence its use in directed energy weapons by clandestine military agencies in the US and other countries

Very few people do, that's why it falls to those of us who do learn of these things to educate others and to protect our children in particular. This is having a very harmful epidemiological impact on the next generation, and sick kids like me are simply the 'canaries in the coal mine'

There should be more health campaigns concerning this!
Electromagnetic radiation can clearly be hazardous and damaging. The level of risk is a function of frequency and power level.

As an example, i wouldnt be too worried about having a laptop on my lap which will no doubt be radiating numerous signals at differing frequencies but very small power levels. However i would nt stand in front of a microwave horn that is energised, for example, a cellular base station antenna.
Original post by Foo.mp3
See links provided in this thread for growing body of physiological + epidemiological evidence :yy:

Sure. Every time I travel to places with masts and Wi-Fi everywhere, and RFR in the the hundreds to thousands of mV/m range, within a few hours (not straight away), I realise that my symptoms have intensified, and my sleep is wrecked, purely as a function of my psyche playing tricks on me :dunce:

Looked through the thread and the only reputable (read, published in medical literature) research posted has been from spacepirate-james. Indeed a quick search of google scholar shows study after study after study demonstrating no actual effect from sources of electromagnetic radiation. Your illness is purely psychosomatic - you believe that things like wi-fi will make you ill, and as a result you become ill. Much as you'd like to think otherwise, it is just your psyche; the cause of your symptoms is your mind, not electromagnetic radiation.

And, when people offer downright dangerous treatments such as chelation therapy (unless you've genuinely ingested toxic metals then chelation therapy is worse than useless), it's important that you understand that this is a psychological, not physiological, problem.
Original post by Foo.mp3
*snip*

I assume you ignored the fully cited, peer reviewed journal articles he referenced in his video description then. I linked to the video rather than the research for ease of consumption.
Reply 16
Apart from heating effects caused by super-strong microwave signals, non-ionizing radiation is completely harmless. That's gcse-level science for goodness sakes.

I have a feeling you're shilling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Daniellaaa
There should be more health campaigns concerning this!

Why? So snake-oil salesmen like this can make more money?
http://www.best-emf-health.com/lifewave-independent-distributor.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. To alert people of the dangers
Original post by Daniellaaa
No. To alert people of the dangers

There are no dangers, it's an entirely psychosomatic illness resulting from people not understanding science and saying radiation sounds scary, it must be making me sick. You might as well have health campaigns about dihydrogen monoxide while you're at it.

It's worth noting that all devices work on radio frequency waves, the same as that of the cosmic microwave background radiation. If they genuinely were sensitive to radiation then they'd be in constant agony, even after isolating themselves from any modern appliances. The only way the Internet will make you I'll is if you stay up all the time staring at a tiny screen and don't sleep, but the same results would be seen from reading, playing board games or anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest