The Student Room Group

is 2:1 in engineering HARD TO GET!

Hey guys

im on a gap year and im preparing myself for the journey that is university.
ive bought myself ka stroud engineering mathematics and its great and im working through it quite easily.

Im just wondering is it HARD to get a 2:1 in electrical and electronic engineering?
will i have to work non stop to get a 2:1 or it with a decent amount of effort it can be done?

ps i got a D*DD at electrical and electronic btec extended diploma

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

With success comes hard work so yes, it will be difficult to get.

Arguably, RG universities 2:1s are harder to get than non-RG 2:1s. Blame TSR for my polluted statistic. :unimpressed:
Reply 2
Original post by thecatwithnohat
With success comes hard work so yes, it will be difficult to get.

Arguably, RG universities 2:1s are harder to get than non-RG 2:1s. Blame TSR for my polluted statistic. :unimpressed:

Haha, i dont mind it being difficult, as i am willing to go to hell and back for my course, like do all nighters and having no social life lolz:^_^:

i just dont wanna be fighting a losing battle, especially since ive been told by people on TSR that engineering is one of the hardest degrees.
Original post by sebe0062
Haha, i dont mind it being difficult, as i am willing to go to hell and back for my course, like do all nighters and having no social life lolz:^_^:

i just dont wanna be fighting a losing battle, especially since ive been told by people on TSR that engineering is one of the hardest degrees.

Just so you know (if you didn't already): coming out of uni will not guarantee you a job. Yes, you'll be highly knowledgeable in your field but paying that ridiculous amount for uni will not give you a free ticket to earning an amazing salary straight away! It's hard work for beginning to end! :yep:

I'm guessing that the course you're interested in will be more manageable if you have some sort of grounding from the beginning e.g. good maths ability, thinking-out-of-the box attitude etc.

Just asking yourself whether you really do enjoy the subject, and that you're wanting to study it for your interest, and not for the financial motive otherwise you'll be truly miserable or will regret it.
Reply 4
Just so you know (if you didn't already): coming out of uni will not guarantee you a job. Yes, you'll be highly knowledgeable in your field but paying that ridiculous amount for uni will not give you a free ticket to earning an amazing salary straight away! It's hard work for beginning to end! :yep:

I'm guessing that the course you're interested in will be more manageable if you have some sort of grounding from the beginning e.g. good maths ability, thinking-out-of-the box attitude etc.

Just asking yourself whether you really do enjoy the subject, and that you're wanting to study it for your interest, and not for the financial motive otherwise you'll be truly miserable or will regret it.

id say my only foundation is i can understand and do maths, i am in no way a maths genius. and im motivated to get the best result. think thats it lol.

tbh id say as its engineering i do enjoy the physics part of it with research and trying to understand something new in the sense, the only thing im scared of is the maths, as i dont enjoy maths enough unlike other engineers, but if i had to do maths i would be able to do it and that would be it
Reply 5
Hey guys

im on a gap year and im preparing myself for the journey that is university.
ive bought myself ka stroud engineering mathematics and its great and im working through it quite easily.

Im just wondering is it HARD to get a 2:1 in electrical and electronic engineering?
will i have to work non stop to get a 2:1 or it with a decent amount of effort it can be done?

ps i got a D*DD at electrical and electronic btec extended diploma

Cheers

A 2:1 is the most common class. Yes it's hard but perfectly do-able,
70% of every student in the UK gets a 2:1 or above so it can't be too difficult.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
70% of every student in the UK gets a 2:1 or above so it can't be too difficult.

this

You need to take into account the difficulty of engineering in comparison to other subjects!

id say my only foundation is i can understand and do maths, i am in no way a maths genius. and im motivated to get the best result. think thats it lol.

tbh id say as its engineering i do enjoy the physics part of it with research and trying to understand something new in the sense, the only thing im scared of is the maths, as i dont enjoy maths enough unlike other engineers, but if i had to do maths i would be able to do it and that would be it

You'll be fine, as long as you work hard, keep on top of everything and approach your work with enthusiasm, then the 2:1 is within reach. :yep:
You need to take into account the difficulty of engineering in comparison to other subjects!

You mean I need to take into account of personal feelings that are based on nothing so as to ignore hard statistical facts?

I'm sorry but I cannot do that. :yep:
Reply 10

You'll be fine, as long as you work hard, keep on top of everything and approach your work with enthusiasm, then the 2:1 is within reach. :yep:

cheers guys for your support. and engineering is really difficult as i did it at college level. im hoping to devote myself and keep on top of everything,ill get that 2:1 if it kills me
Reply 11

A 2.i *is* the most common class for Engineering.
You mean I need to take into account of personal feelings that are based on nothing so as to ignore hard statistical facts?

I'm sorry but I cannot do that. :yep:

No, you need to take into account the skills that OP will need to input into their degree to come out with the grade that they want

Each to their own. :h:
No, you need to take into account the skills that OP will need to input into their degree to come out with the grade that they want

Each to their own. :h:

OK. So two posts down you're still basing your assertion on absolutely nothing.

When will you provide some solid evidence that 'engineering' is 'harder' compared to other disciplines?

Yeah, I believe Medicine and Engineering are the hardest degrees.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Just to add:

Engineering is ranked #3 for students achieving Firsts (28.0%).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...?frame=2276252
OK. So two posts down you're still basing your assertion on absolutely nothing.

When will you provide some solid evidence that 'engineering' is 'harder' compared to other disciplines?

I hate getting into petty arguments about degrees :lol:

But it is my opinion, I feel like engineering students give a lot more than some other degrees taught at university. Also, I did indeed call the statistic I posted at the beginning "polluted" which should speak for itself i.e. it's not reliable.
I hate getting into petty arguments about degrees :lol:

But it is my opinion, I feel like engineering students give a lot more than some other degrees taught at university. Also, I did indeed call the statistic I posted at the beginning "polluted" which should speak for itself i.e. it's not reliable.

OK, so finally this has come around to my initial criticism: Your judgement is based on nothing but your 'feelings'.

There's no 'statistics' in your opinion, BTW,
Original post by 06sulraj
Yeah, I believe Medicine and Engineering are the hardest degrees.

Some people also believe that HNA The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the One True God.
Original post by jneill
Just to add:

Engineering is ranked #3 for students achieving Firsts (28.0%).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...?frame=2276252

Maybe this does make a 2:1 more difficult to get! People fighting for a 2:1 but unfortunately only ending up with a first.

Quick Reply

Latest