The Student Room Group

Unreasonable College (pls help lol)

Hi,

I am currently studying a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management, and after completing the first year with no issues my college has implemented some changes that I feel are unreasonable.

As my course is considered to be vocational, we are expected to complete 300 hours of documented work experience over the two years. 150 hours have been completed in the first year, so this year we are therefore required to complete another 150 hours.

There is a large animal unit at the college that they employ staff to oversee, so that students can gain experience working with animals within college time. Last year we were expected to complete ‘duties’ on the unit, which we could then claim towards our work experience hours.

However this year they are insisting that on certain weeks, we attend from 7am-8.30am to complete duties in addition to normal college hours (9am-5pm). Additionally on these weeks we have to attend on Saturday and Sundaybetween the hours of 9am-3pm. What makes this even more frustrating is that wecannot claim any of this time towards our work experience, so we also have tocomplete more externally to college.

As you can imagine as students we are all working hard trying to balance studying with part-time jobs, as well as all the assignment work we need to complete. For myself it is particularly important that I go towork as I live away from home during the week in order to attend the college,and need to earn money to support myself.

We have tried discussing the issues with the heads of faculty, but they have either ignored us or given generic, unhelpful answers. I was wondering if there is any legislation that prohibits educational institutions from demanding that students attend for 7 days per week, especially as when we enrolled on the course it was advertised as 4 days per week.

I would be very grateful for any help or advice, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending