The Student Room Group

Paying VAT on imported perfume from America?

Allo.
Just realised I'll probably have to pay VAT on some perfume I bought as a gift for my sister from america, which I hadn't thought of previously because I frequently by things from outside of the EU. But I have only just learned perfumes are taxed. The total cost of the perfume was £11.81 and the postage was £11.86. Bringing it to a total of £23.69. From what I've read I'l have to pay 20% of the final cost.

However I ordered it to get delivered to my home address (not uni address) and so I won't be there when any mail or the gift arrives, and I was wondering if anyone has gone through this process before? And how exactly it all goes.

Thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)
@Reue because you seem to know everything :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by SophieSmall
@Reue because you seem to know everything :wink:

I saw this awhile ago and decided not the post because I actually have no experience with it! Every non-eu company I've imported things from have dealt with the duties themselves.

Frankly I'd be surprised if you were expected to declare and pay the import duties separately yourself. Also; I don't believe you could be charged a tax on the costs of delivery.

But again: I have no experience of this!
Idk about VAT but the import fees are MURDER, had to pay nearly half the value of some shoes I ordered from the states a few years back, even if you're not home they just mail you a bill with payment instructions on it
Original post by Reue
I saw this awhile ago and decided not the post because I actually have no experience with it! Every non-eu company I've imported things from have dealt with the duties themselves.

Frankly I'd be surprised if you were expected to declare and pay the import duties separately yourself. Also; I don't believe you could be charged a tax on the costs of delivery.

But again: I have no experience of this!

I didn't buy it from a company, I bought it off a woman on eBay. Though postage was quite expensive so I'm hoping VAT may have been included in that.

I haven't a clue how I even would declare it myself.

From what I read on the .gov website postage costs were included in the VAT calculation. Which I think is ridiculous. But hey ho.
Original post by alexschmalex
Idk about VAT but the import fees are MURDER, had to pay nearly half the value of some shoes I ordered from the states a few years back, even if you're not home they just mail you a bill with payment instructions on it

I had a look at duties and fees, and apart from VAT the value of the perfume isn't enough for me to be charged any more than VAT thankfully.

And thanks :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by SophieSmall
I didn't buy it from a company, I bought it off a woman on eBay. Though postage was quite expensive so I'm hoping VAT may have been included in that.

I haven't a clue how I even would declare it myself.

From what I read on the .gov website postage costs were included in the VAT calculation. Which I think is ridiculous. But hey ho.

Obviously I'd never advise anyone to break the law, however I would question the likelihood and value of Customs actually investigating a single foreign purchase...
Original post by Reue
Obviously I'd never advise anyone to break the law, however I would question the likelihood and value of Customs actually investigating a single foreign purchase...

I'm not entirely sure how it works.
But I think that when exporting from different countries into the UK you have to put on the packaging what type of goods are in the package, the value of the items and anything else relevant. And I think that is what they are checked for at the postage office?

Just as I've noticed all the things I have bough from korea, china, japan and Australia all had those things clearly on the outer package.
Original post by Reue

Well the person selling it in the USA would have to declare what the goods are and in turn that would generate the duties figure. Especially if it was coming on freight.

Each item generates a profile and HMRC have a department set up that deal with the most high risk profiles (weapons, explosives, counterfeits, things to do with plant/animal health).
More importantly why are you importing perfume from the USA when France is next door?
Original post by steeplings
More importantly why are you importing perfume from the USA when France is next door?

Because I was looking for a very specific perfume that was discontinued years ago, as a gift for my sister since it's her favourite perfume ever.

The only place I could find it was America.

Quick Reply