The Student Room Group

I want to be a fiction writer. What A levels would be useful for a CW degree?

I want to be a writer...
As far as I know, there aren't any specified A-Levels you'd have to have to do CW at uni, but I'd advise English (whether that's Lit, Lang, both or a combined course). I think they like to look at a portfolio of what you've wrote already, so perhaps you could start on doing that? Otherwise, most decent A-Levels should be OK. If not, no need to do A-Levels! Many fiction writers didn't do them, and it certainly didn't stop them.
Reply 2
Does doing a degree increase your chances of being a writer? Sorry if thats off topic

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm looking into the same thing. The course I'm applying for is English Lit with CW, so I need a B in Eng Lit. The rest don't matter... I'm doing Sociology because of the essay writing, extended project because I can do it on English, and Music because I need something that isn't essays. Anything creative would be good, I guess, to get the creative juice flowing :smile:
Your degree does not have any advantages on whether you become a writer or not. Initially, you would need a lot of finance to be able to hire an agent to try and sell your books/pitches to book companies if you ever want your books to be published.

Creative Writing will just help you in terms of creativity. A lot of amazing authors came from medical, historic, philosophical backgrounds before writing anyway. You can be taught on what you should write, but you can't be taught how to write.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending