The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Is the University of Warwick actually good?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King of the Ring
I'd still much rather go to UCL, it is much more prestigious globally than Warwick, and it is based in Euston, London.

More career opps/being targeted >>>>>> 'more prestige'

Plus Warwick grads are represented well in top US MBA programmes, so your point is a bit useless.

(Tbf, you can't really go wrong with either - I'm just jumping on the usual TSR bandwagon with the above argument^)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by kkboyk
Although I'm capable of achieving A*, I'm predicted a B in Maths, so I'm probably going to try Cardiff or York.

The predicted grade system is ridiculous isn't it? Some centres massively overpredict whilst students some get colossally screwed over. Unfortunately with A Level reforms I can only see them becoming even more important, unless more places bring in additional entrance exams.
Reply 42
I'd still much rather go to UCL, it is much more prestigious globally than Warwick, and it is based in Euston, London.

Global rankings put very high weighting towards research. As UCL is a majority medical uni it dominates those lists. Everyone in UK knows Warwick > UCL for maths.

Original post by Princepieman
Source is 'facebooks' (basically a list of people in the programmes, course and uni) from people who attended SWs, internships, Vac Schemes etc before.

Plus if you just trawl through to circa ~2011-2012 in the IB forum, uni representation stats were posted on TSR for SWs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool, thanks. Did their course matter?
Reply 43
Original post by 16Characters....
The predicted grade system is ridiculous isn't it? Some centres massively overpredict whilst students some get colossally screwed over. Unfortunately with A Level reforms I can only see them becoming even more important, unless more places bring in additional entrance exams.

Yeah I agree. I'm planning on taking STEP I (already started prep), and eventually go through adjustment to somewhere better if I do end up getting far better grades.
Original post by ubisoft

Cool, thanks. Did their course matter?

Ffs, I legit responded to you about this already - no. They had degrees from Music to Maths, quite a few History grads in trading too.

The caveat being if you wanted to apply to quant roles (i.e. strategists, structurers, algo traders etc.), that is where a more quant degree would be useful.
Original post by kkboyk
Yeah I agree. I'm planning on taking STEP I (already started prep), and eventually go through adjustment to somewhere better if I do end up getting far better grades.

Best of luck then.
Original post by ubisoft
For the simple fact of how flexible their course is. iirc Imperial 1st and 2nd years are almost 100% compulsory.

MAT is easier than STEP, and I personally think 3A* is harder than A*A*A2. But entrance doesn't really determine how good it is.

I agree with your second point. Imperial >>> UCL.

Yeah I envy the flexibility at Warwick but don't mind it too much except for Analysis, bleh. MAT is easier than STEP and agreed on the entrance not determining how hard it is but have to disagree on the 3A* front. There are lots of different combinations for the Warwick offer whereas for Imperial you pretty much have to sit the MAT and might be forced to sit STEP on top of that.

I haven't looked into the research ratings/teaching standards so can't comment on that or the difficulty.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by xpdevil
It doesn't really matter but a thought I've had is that if you are going to get an offer with average grades then you might as well cruise through all of education and then pull your socks up for one year and get into the same place as place along with someone that has been getting consistently high grades at all stages

It's like that already really. Unis don't care about GCSEs so cruise through that. Having said that, it's hard to "pull your socks up" at A2; realistically you need good AS grades to get you there. B -> A* is not unheard of but a B is not a bad grade at AS really.
Original post by Rabadon
It's like that already really. Unis don't care about GCSEs so cruise through that. Having said that, it's hard to "pull your socks up" at A2; realistically you need good AS grades to get you there. B -> A* is not unheard of but a B is not a bad grade at AS really.

A grade B at AS is just ok, not good.
Reply 49
A grade B at AS is just ok, not good.

B puts you at no disadvantage in getting an A*.
Original post by yl95
What's so wrong with the abundance of Medics?...

London is more expensive but you also have a lot more student loan and Imperial offers the most generous bursary scheme in the country for families with a household income of up to 60k.

Why do you think that Warwick > Imperial? Imperial requires the MAT and borderline MAT applicants have to achieve either a 2 in II or III whereas with Warwick you can (I think) still get away with AEA or even the 3A* offer.

Have you been to UCL and Imperial?....UCL isn't renowned for its Maths Dep.
Imperial is in South Ken and is right next to V&A, Science Museum, National History Museum and Hyde Park.
I think Beit Quad and SAF buildings are pretty tbh. UCL's Quad(?) is really pretty, though.

Did I say there was anything wrong with it? Although other students can feel marginalised As the sex ratio is more even for medics other students wanting a girlfriend are probably going to have to try and have medic friends.

The extra loan is a pittance compared to the difference in costs so you'll need to work, which affects your social life- and you have to pay it back. The grant scheme is generous but again doesn't go far with London prices.

Warwick maths has a better reputation with employers
Original post by parentlurker
Did I say there was anything wrong with it? Although other students can feel marginalised As the sex ratio is more even for medics other students wanting a girlfriend are probably going to have to try and have medic friends.

The extra loan is a pittance compared to the difference in costs so you'll need to work, which affects your social life- and you have to pay it back. The grant scheme is generous but again doesn't go far with London prices.

Warwick maths has a better reputation with employers

No, they normally find girls in halls or on their own course. Works out alright.
Untrue, living in halls at Imperial was perfectly fine and I didn't need a job.
I highly doubt that Warwick Maths has a better reputation. It's Oxbridge then Warwick and Imperial.
Original post by yl95
No, they normally find girls in halls or on their own course. Works out alright.
Untrue, living in halls at Imperial was perfectly fine and I didn't need a job.
I highly doubt that Warwick Maths has a better reputation. It's Oxbridge then Warwick and Imperial.

There are fewer women on other courses than men. Fine if you are homosexual, otherwise it's a mathematical impossibility for all men to find girlfriends at university.

You can't live at halls every year and you probably have rich parents.

Imperial may not be far behind but its behind. didnt go to either Warwick or Imperial so have no vested interest in promoting one of them. As for Oxford, not in the same league as either Cambridge or Warwick - although a place to interview if you want someone with good contacts more than the best mathematical skills.
(edited 8 years ago)
There are fewer women on other courses than men. Fine if you are homosexual, otherwise it's a mathematical impossibility for all men to find girlfriends at university.

Imperial may not be far behind but its behind. didnt go to either Warwick or Imperial so have no vested interest in promoting one of them. As for Oxford, not in the same league as either Cambridge or Warwick - although a place to interview if you want someone with good contacts more than the best mathematical skills.

That's presuming all men do want to find girlfriends at university, you have to exclude the people who are almost completely incapable of doing so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
That's presuming all men do want to find girlfriends at university, you have to exclude the people who are almost completely incapable of doing so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you go looking for it, you wont find it. Those that hunt for girls stand out as losers.

No, you can't live at halls every year but halls are similarly priced to private accommodation other students find in the following years.

Do all men want to find girlfriends at uni? No. They can find them in their hometown, at work, through friends or at other universities.
Don't make assumptions please, even if I did have rich parents it doesn't automatically mean that I'll have been getting money from them. If it interests you, I am eligible for the bursary at Imperial.

No, it's not behind... Oxbridge > Warwick. You do not need 'good contacts' to get into Oxford, what sort of BS is that? I do wonder how much you actually know about Imperial or Imperial Maths.
Yes, it's near the top. Cambridge is better, but Warwick is roughly on par with Imperial. Might be best to visit both unis and think about other factors. Warwick is also very flexible with module options.

Original post by yl95

No, it's not behind... Oxbridge > Warwick. You do not need 'good contacts' to get into Oxford, what sort of BS is that? I do wonder how much you actually know about Imperial or Imperial Maths.

Yes, it is. Regardless, Cambridge > Oxford, so why would you apply to Oxford? I agree with you on the "good contacts".
Original post by xpdevil
But most importantly, what is the environment like at Warwick?

Good so far, but I don't have a lot of experience with this.

In fact regarding Imperial ... no fun with international students massively outnumbering domestics.

Warwick is around 40% international. It's not a problem.
Original post by jameslaparan
If you're not mentally sick and insecure, why do you go around all fora bashing Warwick, even on Warwick's thread? What is your purpose on here, other than to bash Warwick? If it's true that you're at UCL now, how come you're more visible on Warwick thread??? Dude, get a life!

@Puddles the Monkey @Majora @Tank Girl @Roving Fish @Minerva @Zottula @TSR Moderator @Gothic Kitten
Reply 59
Original post by ubisoft
Warwick > Imperial for maths.

They give so many offers because they know very few will achieve the STEP requirements anyway.

This is very true, my friend got A* in maths and further maths, A in chemistry and a B in physics yet flopped the STEP paper and ended up going through clearing and got a place at Manchester to do maths.

Quick Reply

Latest